Should I go into this MD/MBA route?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caxoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was offered a position in a 4 year MD/MBA program, which requires students to take classes the summer before MS1. Since I won't be available during the summer prior, they've offered that I extend to a 5 year program, where I take a gap year to focus on the MBA courses, between MS2/MS3 and after I take STEP1.

My concerns are:
- taking a year off might decrease my "momentum" and make me struggle harder going into MS3, or for STEP2
- is it worth taking an entire year off for the MBA portion?
- are there any other potential disadvantages to taking a year off for the MBA courses?

I applied for the MD/MBA kind of with non-specific interest. Not interested in hospital management or administration at all at the moment, but I figured it would be useful knowledge regardless of whatever route in medicine I ended up taking.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Actually I should've posted this in Allopathic huh

Most programs for MD/MBA are 5 years. I can only think of Tufts that is 4 years. I don't think you will be disadvantaged, except that you will not graduate with the bulk of your class. Many will say that an MBA now doesn't bring much value, as it is still very theoretical for you. Good MBA programs like to utilize your work experiences, helping you solve real problems and helping you put things to use. You are years away from bringing real value to the table.
At the same time, I am interested in doing an MD/MBA program as well. The 4 year program seems rather intense while the 5 year program can also leave time for research at the schools I have checked.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds to me like you would be better off just sticking to regular MD for now, since you don't have any specific goals. Later on you can always do an MBA if you feel like it could better your career path.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds to me like you would be better off just sticking to regular MD for now, since you don't have any specific goals. Later on you can always do an MBA if you feel like it could better your career path.

This is also what I was thinking, why take it now when I have no idea what I'm doing with the knowledge and what I want to focus on - maybe take it later when my goals are more set and I will be more focused when I take the class

What was your undergrad degree in / did you have any business or econ courses in college? I did an econ degree in college in addition to my science degree and would never ever even consider an MBA program, as sufficient undergrad exposure is more than enough. If you're only pursuing an MBA so you better understand the business side of medicine and you already have a business background, then an MBA is a waste of time and money. Anybody with a 6th grade level intellect could teach themselves MBA material at home for free.

First off, congratulations for being accepted into an MD/MBA program! I would definitely go for it, but seeing as how you are still unsure of your goals and what you would do with an extra year of MBA courses, I can definitely understand if you want to opt in for just MD.

What was your undergrad degree in / did you have any business or econ courses in college? I did an econ degree in college in addition to my science degree and would never ever even consider an MBA program, as sufficient undergrad exposure is more than enough. If you're only pursuing an MBA so you better understand the business side of medicine and you already have a business background, then an MBA is a waste of time and money. Anybody with a 6th grade level intellect could teach themselves MBA material at home for free.

Zero experience at all haha

First off, congratulations for being accepted into an MD/MBA program! I would definitely go for it, but seeing as how you are still unsure of your goals and what you would do with an extra year of MBA courses, I can definitely understand if you want to opt in for just MD.

I think I've ultimately decided to opt for just MD for now, and after I've figured out my goals if I still think it necessary, go for the MBA

Reactions: 2 users
Zero experience at all haha

I think I've ultimately decided to opt for just MD for now, and after I've figured out my goals if I still think it necessary, go for the MBA

Sounds good! :)

That's the right call. With zero business experience, your MBA will be all theory and the real useful 'meat' won't stick because you won't have the requisite frame of reference. For example, if you're wanting to learn how to manage a private medical practice down the road, for example, a few years as a medical receptionist, CNA, med. asst. and/or billing coordinator in a similar private practice would give you a frame of reference for the types of problems you would face in that environment. Without that frame of reference, you don't really know how much 'supply chain management' you need to learn, whether financial or managerial accounting is more relevant, and how much contract law you need to master. Without that frame of reference, it's all academic. (And yes, the academics probably won't be especially challenging.)