Should I go through with it or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mistherd13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm registered to take the MCAT this Saturday. However, due to illness and a lot of schoolwork, I haven't really been able to study. I've scored a 25 and 26 on two practice MCATs a few weeks ago, one of which was the informal Kaplan-directed one. My GPA right now is 3.9, but I don't expect to score very much different from these practice MCATs. I have my head and heart set upon the MD.Ph.D. program, but those are so competitive and, I don't really know their average MCAT scores, but I would expect above 30. Ideally I'd love to attend Duke (hahaha), UNC-Chapel Hill, or UF. It's too late to get back any of the money for the registration fee, but I don't know if I want to get the score I make this Saturday on my record. If it's low and I take it again in August, it'll get averaged in with my second score and my average will be hopefully slightly higher, but it'll be harder to balance it out, especially with hopes of getting a 30+ average. I feel like a failure for even possibly not taking the test, but I don't want to ruin my chances. It's a lot of money to be squandering right now (car accident 3 months ago and still don't have the $ to fix it!), but I can't get it back regardless now. Let me know what y'all think, please!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi mis,
I would say to take it and see how you are doing. The first time I took the MCAT the test was quite easy, but I didn't prepare at all, answers will ridiculously obvious, stupid I know, the second time I took it, it was ridiculously hard, and I was horrified, there were all of these crazy experiments to analyze, and I was completely flustered, I couldn't think. What I am saying is that one MCAT to the next may contain info you are more familiar with or very unfamiliar with. I don't believe you will get a refund, the 10 day point has passed, so I say take it, see how you are doing, and void it if you feel uneasy or that concepts you were unfamiliar with were heavily tested. Read my about voiding post from today if you have questions on voiding. You will know how you are doing, on test day, at least I did, but my friend kept convincing me to score it, even though I knew I bombed it, so go by your intuition, not your friend's intuition, and you will be happy with the outcome. Hope this helped. Good luck and hang in there. :luck:

Not all schools average. Some take the highest set of scores, and some take the most recent. Which schools fall into which catergories, I couldn't tell you, but there have been posts in this forum about it, and maybe the Pre-Allo forum, too.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. Just make sure it's the right one for you, and that you stand by it rather than regret it.