Should I go through with it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SingfrAbsoltion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NY resident 3.6 sGPA and 28 MCAT

Very strong upward trend - Bs and Cs to 4.0 during the last 3 semesters. Graduated last year and spent the gap year volunteering at an orphanage overseas and after coming back worked as a medical assistant for an MD.

I have all the typical ECs - research with some presentations and national conferences, leadership, clinical volunteering, etc.

Had my mind set on an MD program but now after filling out the primary I'm starting to feel really discouraged, mainly because of those earlier grades. I graduated with a 3.55 but I have another transcript from another school (freshman year) which is 2.9. None of them are science classes.

I have no idea if I should bother submitting the primary for MD. Please let me know if there are any schools I have a shot at, and which ones.

Thank you!

PS I'm already applying DO

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with Stok that you should go ahead with it unless your finances are won't allow it. Your GPAs are fine; the 2.9 will be weighed less heavily (if at all since you have such a strong upward trend). Your MCAT is not a deal breaker either.

I honestly do not have any specific school suggestions, but I highly recommend buying the MSAR. Hope this helps a little :/