Should I include this EC on my app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Include on app?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TallPreMed

Most people on here are nice. I'm not.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for two summers in college I worked at a camp run by the Cleveland sight summer for the blind and visually impaired. We gave showers, helped dress, feed etc to our campers who needed assistance. They were all blind or visually impaired and I worked as a nature counselor/regular counselor. The age and ability ranged from pre-k (with parents) to our adult group which had "campers" who were as old as 90, and were blind, partially sighted, or had other disabilities (developmental, deaf etc). It was a very unique experience to learn how to work and interact with people who were completely dead and blind, teach people who grew up in an urban environment how to set up camps/build fires, we even bowled, played beeper baseball, and did archery- all modified for our campers abilities. Sessions were split up by age and I really enjoyed what I did, however four weeks before the end of my second summer my grandfather's health went into a rapid decline and my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer, so I ended up quitting and leaving the camp early pretty abruptly (would not be eligible for rehire). My supervisors also no longer work for the camp.

Would this still be something acceptable to put on my application for ECs? With the administration changed and supervisors gone, there would be no one there to support the fact that I did work there- however I can speak quite in depth to my experiences there and everything that I did learn there. I worked from 7am to 10pm or midnight every day from June to August and seriously did just about anything you can believe a counselor would do. I'm just concerned that if no one there remembers me that it may look like I am being misleading on my app.

Hello neurotic, my names TPM.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's fine to include this! It sounds like a great learning experience and a great opportunity to use your abilities to help others. If you feel that it was important to you, I would add it. You could just explain that you no longer have a contact person at the camp.

For what it's worth, I listed as one of my EC's a student group that I was heavily involved in college that doesn't even exist anymore. I definitely couldn't put anyone down as a contact. I just wrote my own contact info in AMCAS and explained in the description why I didn't have a contact person.

Reactions: 1 user
Sure. I had several ECs that I had to use my own self as contact for (had no way of getting in touch with old supervisors, etc). I've never been questioned as to their validity.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely include this experience in your application--I expect that you will be asked about it on a lot of interviews.

I wouldn't mention your abrupt exit unless asked directly about it. A 2 month daily commitment is still very impressive. As others have mentioned, either put yourself or possibly your pre-med adviser (if they are okay with it) as the contact person. No one questioned me on activities that I did that for.

Sure, include it. I had a similar job working for an Easter Seal Society camp here in Florida when I was in college. This was over a decade before I applied to medical school, so obviously I did not have any current contacts.

Out of curiosity, just how difficult was it to teach the "completely dead" campers about nature? (Sorry, couldn't resist. Reminds me too much of this scene from The Princess Bride. :D)

Reactions: 2 users
Sure, include it. I had a similar job working for an Easter Seal Society camp here in Florida when I was in college. This was over a decade before I applied to medical school, so obviously I did not have any current contacts.

Out of curiosity, just how difficult was it to teach the "completely dead" campers about nature? (Sorry, couldn't resist. Reminds me too much of this scene from The Princess Bride. :D)

Well I work in hospice now so it definitely set me up in the right mindset :p

I still talk about "blind camp" all the time to people. I have "low vision" due to nystagmus (it's within the physical parameters set though for med school) as does my brother, whose impairment is much worse. Working at that camp opened my eyes so much to how people with disabilities are treated and made me a better advocate for myself and my brother.

I have awesome stories about some of my campers. Like the guy who was completely blind and deaf but was super into bodybuilding and still worked out with his weights by the pool every morning. Or another who was completely blind and won nationals in barrel racing! They put two way radios on top of the barrels and set off the "ring" when he had to run his horse around each barrel.

I would absolutely include it. It is a far more interesting experience than the cookie cutter ECs most of us premeds have and therefore makes you more interesting. You also have a clear connection to it which shows that you are not just checking a box but were/are genuinely interested in working with that population.

Almost spit water all over my keyboard, thx.

I would absolutely include it. It is a far more interesting experience than the cookie cutter ECs most of us premeds have and therefore makes you more interesting. You also have a clear connection to it which shows that you are not just checking a box but were/are genuinely interested in working with that population.

It is definitely a pretty unique camp and experience! I'm hoping with that and my other ECs of working in hospice, coaching basketball for several college camps, and my leadership experience working as a manager for a big retail store will help me stand out from the other applicants. Even more so with my big reach schools, hope it will at the very least grant me an interview.

Man I feel so neurotic just typing this up.

You can write to them to ask who in HR would be able to verify your employment. I had to do this with one of my ECs, where I gave the dates I participated in the activity and they went to the point of checking with the previous director. Since you were employed, there should be a legal record that you can use. It just can't be a LOR unless you track down someone who actually knew you and who can recommend your work.

You HAVE to include this!!!!!!

So for two summers in college I worked at a camp run by the Cleveland sight summer for the blind and visually impaired. We gave showers, helped dress, feed etc to our campers who needed assistance. They were all blind or visually impaired and I worked as a nature counselor/regular counselor. The age and ability ranged from pre-k (with parents) to our adult group which had "campers" who were as old as 90, and were blind, partially sighted, or had other disabilities (developmental, deaf etc). It was a very unique experience to learn how to work and interact with people who were completely dead and blind, teach people who grew up in an urban environment how to set up camps/build fires, we even bowled, played beeper baseball, and did archery- all modified for our campers abilities. Sessions were split up by age and I really enjoyed what I did, however four weeks before the end of my second summer my grandfather's health went into a rapid decline and my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer, so I ended up quitting and leaving the camp early pretty abruptly (would not be eligible for rehire). My supervisors also no longer work for the camp.

Would this still be something acceptable to put on my application for ECs? With the administration changed and supervisors gone, there would be no one there to support the fact that I did work there- however I can speak quite in depth to my experiences there and everything that I did learn there. I worked from 7am to 10pm or midnight every day from June to August and seriously did just about anything you can believe a counselor would do. I'm just concerned that if no one there remembers me that it may look like I am being misleading on my app.

Hello neurotic, my names TPM.

You HAVE to include this!!!!!!

Hah. Thanks @Goro . I've never realized half the stuff I've done in my life would actually look really good on med school applications. Guess it was an unconscious decision!

If you DON'T include this, I'm going to be flabbergasted! o_O

What an awesome, unique experience! You seem really passionate about it, and that will really show if you're asked about it in an interview.