Should I just change my major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhpark0504

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Im going to be a Jr this fall and majoring in Biology. Right now I'm Pre-optometry and reason I picked optometry is because great job opportunity and high salary but also I like to talk to new people in general. However I'm stressing out about the OAT, letters of recommendation, EC and etc. Also afraid of school rejection and school tuition. I'm lucky enough to have a parents to pay me 4 years of undergrad but they told me I would have to pay everything right after I graduate. So if I don't get into optometry school right (after senior year) away, Im worry because I don't think there is any good job for biology major. Also I scored 22 on my ACT so I'm worry that I won't do good on OAT test... Heres what I have done

GPA - 3.5
Shadowing - 100 hrs
Hospital E.R volunteer - 40 hrs

Should I keep study for Optometry or change my major? I thought about international business just because I know 2 different languages (Korean, English)

Members don't see this ad.

Well... you should probably think hard about why you want to go to optometry school, because right now you don't have very good reasons. If what you really want is a high salary with great job prospects you should become an M.D. or a D.O. They take on far less debt relative to their earning potential and hey! They meet new people all the time :D I guess...

Also, the idea of going into international business sounds fun and exotic, but extremely vague. Like what would you really be doing with an international business degree? I can't imagine there are a hell of a lot of jobs out there for them either.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm not trying to be mean or put you down. I just think you should take a good look at your options and be realistic. It's best that you do this now instead of getting halfway through optometry school and realizing you made a terrible mistake.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with Salmon, cuz he/she is pretty much always on the ball ( get it!) when it comes to helping other people out.

If you are worried about rejection I think your stats are fine to get into a optometry program, from all the research i've done your stats are about average of people who are accepted at most programs. As far as your concerns about the OAT treat it as anything else you have come up with in your academic career. the better and longer you prepare the more comfortable you will be, don't try and learn everything in 4 months and freak out when you have to take the test. Start early and you will be fine and if at the end you realize you want to be an MD or PharmD or any other profession where you meet people and make money, you can just tweak your study material to adjust for that professional entrance exam. Honestly I think you might want to come up with a better reason to pursue any carrier. Making money is good and all but as a program i probably don't want to hear someone say that they are just in it to make money, in my mind i'm thinking you could just as well jump ship if you find something else that pays better. Remember that schools are also investing in you when they accept you, they want something that will brand them and be loyal and not just be a quick turnaround investment.

Well now that im done with my not so little spcheal I wish you the best of luck in finding out why you want to choose one carrier over another. If you ever do get stuck always ask, just remember that SDN only offers other opinions and are by no means what you should do. We just give you a different perspective in long essays. :)

Cheers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you score around average on the OAT, you will get interviews imo. You have to understand that unless you go to a state school, tuition and debt will be high. Your ACT score is not really important for anything. If you have a 3.5 as a bio major, you'll probably be ok. You just need to practice and study for the OATs. But as others have said, make sure optometry is really for you. All graduate admissions processes suck, no point in stressing over it since everyone has to go through it! Just stay positive, get everything in early, and do your best.

I think switching now would not be a great idea. Get your degree in biology but maybe minor in business. In terms of jobs without further education... do you have experiences in a laboratory setting? Could you look for some now (surp, internships, etc..)? This might position you better for lab tech jobs in research groups right out of undergrad. Pay is probably like 35-45k w/ benefits, which is decent for someone who has a bachelors degree and doesnt have to start paying back debt after graduating (assuming your parents covered the full cost of undergrad). You could probably still do something in business with a minor.

I would like to echo something that has already been said. There are other careers that fit the criteria you've laid out. You should really figure out why exactly it is you want to be an Optometrist before committing yourself. School is very expensive, just read some of the experiences on this website. There is a recent thread where a graduating student lays out all of his/her expenses over the course of four years. Research the profession, and find out the challenges Optometry faces. There are downsides not listed by the bureau of labor statistics.

There is also a definite need to think about the "great job opportunities" mentality that this poster (and pretty much all applicants have) because life on the other side is not as rosy as BLS/Newsweek has been depicting.

Everyone needs to read the oversupply study that the AOA has finally acknowledged:
http://www.revoptom.com/content/c/49289/

See also:
http://www.charlesmullen.com/optometry-manpower-surplus-study-2014/

I'm not saying the sky is falling, but please please do your research before jumping head first.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
OpticalBlackout, are you a fairly recent grad? If so, how has the job hunt been for you?