Should I just give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stressfulmind4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started taking classes at a local community college and after two years, I transferred to a university. My biggest challenge in the community college was biology II, general chemistry I and II, and calculus. I ended up getting a C in both bio II and general chemistry. I had to retake general chemistry II and calculus, and I got A in g-chem II and a B in calculus. Once I transferred to a local university, my first semester I got all A, except for organic chemistry.

I started taking classes at a local community college and after two years, I transferred to a university. My goal was to attend dental school after graduating from this college. My interest of becoming dentist started when I started doing some research about teeth. I found the research quite interesting and I decided I wanted to learn more about it. During the second semester in university, I did terrible. I had a lot of stuff going on in my life and it in end I failed all classes. During the third semester, I retook organic chemistry and I failed it again. I know I should of taking the semester off to deal with the stuff in my personal life, but I did not unfortunately. This led to being dismissed from the university and I had sit back at least 2 semesters before I can apply for readmission.

During the 2 semesters, I decided to take some lower division prerequisite at my local community college for another degree. I took human anatomy and physiology (C, C), physics I and II (A, B), organic chemistry I (D, C) and some other electives. I got a D in organic chemistry I and I took it again, but this time I passed the class with a C.

I decided to reapply for readmission at the local university for another degree (Health Science) and I got basically denied. It seems that I got denied because of my low cumulative gpa (2.8) and low science gpa, and they believe I can not succeed in the program. I could still appeal the decision, I have a few days left, otherwise I will have to wait 365 days before I can reapply again to the university.

Ever since I got denied, I am not sure what to do anymore. I am very lost. I am not even sure if I want to become a dentist anymore. I have no clue what to do next. At this point, I am just tired of studying. I blame most of the failure on me regardless of what happened in my personal life. I know this is all my fault. But right now, I do not know whether I should give up or not. I am scared that if do post-bac program, I will still get denied from dental school. I do not know what to do next.

Should I just give up on becoming a dentist?

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Regroup first. You have to ask yourself: can I handle dental school? Then find out what you'll need to get in and start killing it. Supplanting your undergraduate grades won't be easy but it's still doable if you have the dedication to truck on.

I started taking classes at a local community college and after two years, I transferred to a university. My biggest challenge in the community college was biology II, general chemistry I and II, and calculus. I ended up getting a C in both bio II and general chemistry. I had to retake general chemistry II and calculus, and I got A in g-chem II and a B in calculus. Once I transferred to a local university, my first semester I got all A, except for organic chemistry.

I started taking classes at a local community college and after two years, I transferred to a university. My goal was to attend dental school after graduating from this college. My interest of becoming dentist started when I started doing some research about teeth. I found the research quite interesting and I decided I wanted to learn more about it. During the second semester in university, I did terrible. I had a lot of stuff going on in my life and it in end I failed all classes. During the third semester, I retook organic chemistry and I failed it again. I know I should of taking the semester off to deal with the stuff in my personal life, but I did not unfortunately. This led to being dismissed from the university and I had sit back at least 2 semesters before I can apply for readmission.

During the 2 semesters, I decided to take some lower division prerequisite at my local community college for another degree. I took human anatomy and physiology (C, C), physics I and II (A, B), organic chemistry I (D, C) and some other electives. I got a D in organic chemistry I and I took it again, but this time I passed the class with a C.

I decided to reapply for readmission at the local university for another degree (Health Science) and I got basically denied. It seems that I got denied because of my low cumulative gpa (2.8) and low science gpa, and they believe I can not succeed in the program. I could still appeal the decision, I have a few days left, otherwise I will have to wait 365 days before I can reapply again to the university.

Ever since I got denied, I am not sure what to do anymore. I am very lost. I am not even sure if I want to become a dentist anymore. I have no clue what to do next. At this point, I am just tired of studying. I blame most of the failure on me regardless of what happened in my personal life. I know this is all my fault. But right now, I do not know whether I should give up or not. I am scared that if do post-bac program, I will still get denied from dental school. I do not know what to do next.

Any advice?

My main advice is take a step back and re-evaluate your future just to see if you really still want to be a dentist. Sometimes you just need a break to gain more perspective if you've been doing the same thing for too long. Maybe take a trip and when you're ready try to imagine if being dentist is really what you want to be in 5 years. Remember, even once you get into dental school it'll be a lot more studying and work.

If you decide you still want to pursue dentistry, the post-bacc is not a bad idea since they are usually affordable and flexible if need to work part-time. The best way to ensure if you are going to make it is if you keep your post-bacc GPA above a 3.85 (some people say 4.0 but we're not perfect, I received one B- in my post-bacc along with my A's but still received acceptances). If in the first term of post-bacc you feel that you cannot maintain the target GPA, then you may need to finally step back and re-evaluate your career choice. But if you are dedicated enough it is still doable, just make sure not to fail any more courses.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NO WAY should you ever give up on your dreams. Like others have said, regroup and take some time to think about your options. Talk it over with your parents, friends or counselors. If that means missing the deadline to appeal, so be it. The average age of a dental student is steadily going up anyway.

I started junior year with a 2.9 sGPA/oGPA and finished undergrad with a 3.5 sGPA/oGPA by recording a few 4.0 semesters. During freshman and sophomore year I was way too focused on the social aspect of college, and I really wasn't invested as a student. Over the summer following sophomore year I did some traveling and it seemed to set my priorities straight. When I got back to start the semester I dove right into my work and I never really looked back. We all have it in us to do well, you just have to commit yourself... If I can do it, you most CERTAINLY can.

Reactions: 2 users
I would suggest taking some time off to regroup like what was already suggested. You need to get through the things that are happening in your personal life. If you find that everything is too much to handle or you just aren't sure what to do next, it may be worthwhile to talk to mental health professional. It took me three or four psychologists/psychiatrists, but I finally found someone who was able to help me turn around my life. By learning how to deal with stress, anxiety, depression, etc. I was able to focus more on studying and bringing up my grades.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm am all for chasing your dreams and your goals. If it is something you really want, chase it. If in the end it doesn't work out, you know you gave it your all and that's all you can ask of yourself.

With that said, you must also take a serious look at who you are as a student and as a person. We all have things that happen, reasons why we don't do as well or get to where we want but it's how we view those things that determines our future success. Do we own our failures or place the failures on others whether it be people or circumstance? And this isn't necessarily aimed at you, OP, but us all in general. We have to be honest with ourselves and our chances considering who we are. Are you the type that is willing to put in 56 hours of week to study for a month or more if needed? Are you willing to sacrifice certain parts of your life, if you have to, to do well in school? If you are tired of studying, hate studying, and/or don't want to study, then pursuing a higher degree/occupation via school may not be for you.

I was a teacher for 5 years and in admin for 2 before finally deciding to go back to school. I just started my postbacc this May and am finishing up Gen Chem 2 tomorrow (ACS Final). It was very fast paced, covered a ton of material. 5 1/2 weeks for Gen Chem 1 which included 4 exams and the ACS final. I had one day off and then summer session two started. Here I am 5 1/2 weeks later and basically finished with Gen Chem 2 except for the Final tomorrow. I walked into my postbacc putting all my eggs in this basket. Failure is not an option, I told myself I cannot get lower than a A (I took Gen Chem 1 and 2 back in 2003/2004 and scored a C in both). I walked out of Gen Chem 1 with 102% and am sitting at 100% even with the final to go.

You have to set the bar high but also be willing to work to reach the bar you set for yourself. I see so many students, myself included back when I was an undergrad the first time around, that merely want to pass the class or just get it over with and that's a horrible mindset to have. Then there are students who say they want an A so bad yet are not willing to put in the work. There was a student I was helping at the beginning of Gen Chem 2 and I stopped after a while because all she did was complain about how much she hated chemistry, the professor, and school in general even though she wants to go to Med School. When I worked with her, all she wanted was the answers. I told her to write things down, she said she didn't want to and I decided to be polite and just tell her I was falling behind so I needed to study more but the truth was, I was wasting my time trying to help her when she didn't really have any desire to help herself and she wasn't honest about who she is and what she wants.

Long story short, evaluate yourself, your priorities, what you really want, and if you are willing to work to get it. In my opinion, it may be best to take at least a year off. Find a job you like or want (even if money sucks), relax, recharge your batteries and maybe see a psych.

Wish you the best and I leave you with a very cliche saying but one I firmly believe in; "Where there is the will, there is a way"

Regroup first. You have to ask yourself: can I handle dental school? Then find out what you'll need to get in and start killing it. Supplanting your undergraduate grades won't be easy but it's still doable if you have the dedication to truck on.

Thank you for your advice!

I believe I just need a break (just 1 semester) to reevaluate my goals and plan.

My main advice is take a step back and re-evaluate your future just to see if you really still want to be a dentist. Sometimes you just need a break to gain more perspective if you've been doing the same thing for too long. Maybe take a trip and when you're ready try to imagine if being dentist is really what you want to be in 5 years. Remember, even once you get into dental school it'll be a lot more studying and work.

If you decide you still want to pursue dentistry, the post-bacc is not a bad idea since they are usually affordable and flexible if need to work part-time. The best way to ensure if you are going to make it is if you keep your post-bacc GPA above a 3.85 (some people say 4.0 but we're not perfect, I received one B- in my post-bacc along with my A's but still received acceptances). If in the first term of post-bacc you feel that you cannot maintain the target GPA, then you may need to finally step back and re-evaluate your career choice. But if you are dedicated enough it is still doable, just make sure not to fail any more courses.

My current plan is to take next semester off from school.

NO WAY should you ever give up on your dreams. Like others have said, regroup and take some time to think about your options. Talk it over with your parents, friends or counselors. If that means missing the deadline to appeal, so be it. The average age of a dental student is steadily going up anyway.

I started junior year with a 2.9 sGPA/oGPA and finished undergrad with a 3.5 sGPA/oGPA by recording a few 4.0 semesters. During freshman and sophomore year I was way too focused on the social aspect of college, and I really wasn't invested as a student. Over the summer following sophomore year I did some traveling and it seemed to set my priorities straight. When I got back to start the semester I dove right into my work and I never really looked back. We all have it in us to do well, you just have to commit yourself... If I can do it, you most CERTAINLY can.

I would suggest taking some time off to regroup like what was already suggested. You need to get through the things that are happening in your personal life. If you find that everything is too much to handle or you just aren't sure what to do next, it may be worthwhile to talk to mental health professional. It took me three or four psychologists/psychiatrists, but I finally found someone who was able to help me turn around my life. By learning how to deal with stress, anxiety, depression, etc. I was able to focus more on studying and bringing up my grades.

Best of luck to you.

I am planning to take next semester off from school just to reevaluate my plans.

I'm am all for chasing your dreams and your goals. If it is something you really want, chase it. If in the end it doesn't work out, you know you gave it your all and that's all you can ask of yourself.

With that said, you must also take a serious look at who you are as a student and as a person. We all have things that happen, reasons why we don't do as well or get to where we want but it's how we view those things that determines our future success. Do we own our failures or place the failures on others whether it be people or circumstance? And this isn't necessarily aimed at you, OP, but us all in general. We have to be honest with ourselves and our chances considering who we are. Are you the type that is willing to put in 56 hours of week to study for a month or more if needed? Are you willing to sacrifice certain parts of your life, if you have to, to do well in school? If you are tired of studying, hate studying, and/or don't want to study, then pursuing a higher degree/occupation via school may not be for you.

I was a teacher for 5 years and in admin for 2 before finally deciding to go back to school. I just started my postbacc this May and am finishing up Gen Chem 2 tomorrow (ACS Final). It was very fast paced, covered a ton of material. 5 1/2 weeks for Gen Chem 1 which included 4 exams and the ACS final. I had one day off and then summer session two started. Here I am 5 1/2 weeks later and basically finished with Gen Chem 2 except for the Final tomorrow. I walked into my postbacc putting all my eggs in this basket. Failure is not an option, I told myself I cannot get lower than a A (I took Gen Chem 1 and 2 back in 2003/2004 and scored a C in both). I walked out of Gen Chem 1 with 102% and am sitting at 100% even with the final to go.

You have to set the bar high but also be willing to work to reach the bar you set for yourself. I see so many students, myself included back when I was an undergrad the first time around, that merely want to pass the class or just get it over with and that's a horrible mindset to have. Then there are students who say they want an A so bad yet are not willing to put in the work. There was a student I was helping at the beginning of Gen Chem 2 and I stopped after a while because all she did was complain about how much she hated chemistry, the professor, and school in general even though she wants to go to Med School. When I worked with her, all she wanted was the answers. I told her to write things down, she said she didn't want to and I decided to be polite and just tell her I was falling behind so I needed to study more but the truth was, I was wasting my time trying to help her when she didn't really have any desire to help herself and she wasn't honest about who she is and what she wants.

Long story short, evaluate yourself, your priorities, what you really want, and if you are willing to work to get it. In my opinion, it may be best to take at least a year off. Find a job you like or want (even if money sucks), relax, recharge your batteries and maybe see a psych.

Wish you the best and I leave you with a very cliche saying but one I firmly believe in; "Where there is the will, there is a way"

I've wanted to be a dentist since I was in grade six. Not a day has gone by where I haven't thought about that dream in some way.
You need to figure out if this is where your passion lies, because if it truly isn't, the road will be long and arduous. If it is, the same will still be true, but you will be happy and failure will simply be a pivotal learning experience on your journey there.
Whatever you decide, keep working hard, push forward, and stay positive! Good luck!

Last edited:

Ever since I got denied, I am not sure what to do anymore. I am very lost. I am not even sure if I want to become a dentist anymore. I have no clue what to do next. At this point, I am just tired of studying. I blame most of the failure on me regardless of what happened in my personal life. I know this is all my fault.

Any advice?
Dont take this in a bad way, because its a good thing but usually people have a negative social stigma about it ( I guess from the media) , but why don't you see if your school has a free mental health clinic. My university, for example, lets students visit the psychologist for free. I think a professional psychologist would benefit you. or if you have insurance that covers it , you can go that route (which would be the best route since they will have more experience). At the end of the day, you need help working through any personal issues you are having. Continuing to try to push on obviously is not producing positive results, so seeing a professional can help you overcome any personal problems so that you can forge a new clear path to your future. Just remember that if you continue doing the same things you will continue to get the same results, its up to you to bring about real positive changes.

There are some videos on dentalmaverick.com that come to mind. I would watch them and take note at how you feel as you watch them. They are good videos to help reevaluate and understand nothing is impossible.

Do you honestly think it would be easier if you give up?

I am here to support you. I came from the bottom and now I am applying to dental schools.

Message me anytime for anything.

Why universities would want a struggling student to wait "365 days" before re applying/enrolling is about as elusive as Bigfoot.

Why universities would want a struggling student to wait "365 days" before re applying/enrolling is about as elusive as Bigfoot.
Why OP would want a sarcastic dentist to post non-existent "advice" before deciding his next move is about as useful as a Bigfoot GPS.