Should I just take the 2015 mcat instead of retaking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khrisskhoras

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got my score back and I am pissed:

31 12P 9V 10B

Although this score is my average practice FL score, I was burned out by the time I started taking practice tests. I really don't think I can do better on this idiotic exam, so should I just wait till 2015 and take the new one? I'm guessing no, but my thinking is that the scores will be too new to interpret and might help me come application time.

Members don't see this ad.

so i got my score back and i am pissed:

31 12p 9v 10b

although this score is my average practice fl score, i was burned out by the time i started taking practice tests. I really don't think i can do better on this idiotic exam, so should i just wait till 2015 and take the new one? I'm guessing no, but my thinking is that the scores will be too new to interpret and might help me come application time.

do not retake.

31 12P 9V 10B

Although this score is my average practice FL score, I was burned out by the time I started taking practice tests. I really don't think I can do better on this idiotic exam, so should I just wait till 2015 and take the new one? I'm guessing no, but my thinking is that the scores will be too new to interpret and might help me come application time.

Seeing as VR was your LOWEST score and the new MCAT basically has TWO VR scores, this would be shooting yourself in the foot. It would basically mean your 31 would become the equivalent of a 30. VR doesn't really tend to improve well like BS and PS, either. It's considered the best measure of innate intelligence on standardized tests for a reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing as VR was your LOWEST score and the new MCAT basically has TWO VR scores, this would be shooting yourself in the foot. It would basically mean your 31 would become the equivalent of a 30. VR doesn't really tend to improve well like BS and PS, either. It's considered the best measure of innate intelligence on standardized tests for a reason.

I agree that VR tends to change the least, even with studying, but does anyone know what "innate intelligence" actually means?

I agree that VR tends to change the least, even with studying, but does anyone know what "innate intelligence" actually means?

Natural ability... something resistant to environmental factors. Verbal intelligence tends to be the most resistant toward future learning, whereas things like mathematical reasoning are largely learned. We know that about 50-75% of intelligence is inherited. Verbal intelligence is thought to largely fit within that 50-75%.

31 12P 9V 10B

Almost exactly what I got--- except an 11 in Bio instead and I was also really disappointed :(. But, it's a work-able score to apply with, especially with a decent GPA and other good factors. Yeah, it's not what we were hoping for, but most likely good enough.