Should I let the more expensive school know I have cheaper option, to leverage for scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoubleDS

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So im stuck between a more expensive/less prestigious private school and a cheaper more prestigious state school. I really would rather go to the private school but cant seem to shake the money difference. I know the private school offers academic scholarships (rarely) and I have a AA=25, 4.0 and good personal experiences, so I think im definitely eligible. Do you think it would be a bad/good idea to inform the private school of my acceptance to the rival state school and say I'm honestly stuck in my decision due to financial troubles but say I really want to come there (private school). And then ask if there is any chance I could receive a merit based scholarship to make decision that much more definite?

Bad idea or worth the shot/no harm?
Really would appreciate the feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Would you go to the cheaper school if the private school doesn't end up offering you a scholarship? If that's the case, you might as well ask. You probably won't get them mad but even if you do somehow piss them off enough to rescind your acceptance (extremely unlikely worst case scenario), you still have the cheap school.

Reactions: 1 user
This is something most people just don't get: tuition is not a set thing. If you are a good enough candidate you can absolutely negotiate a better rate or perks. When I applied I demanded that my tuition be $800 less per semester and that I wouldn't have to take any clinical perio courses...did i get it? No...in fact that is one of the many reasons I am not in fact allowed at Marquette...but it was one of my main campaign issues as I Game of Thrones'd myself to President of the Iraqi Women interested in Pediatric Dental Club

Members don't see this ad :)
I was able to leverage. It's not very common, but can be done. I had a scholarship at one school and used it to get a scholarship at another school. However, both schools offered scholarships. Some schools do not so I'd imagine it would be hard to negotiate at a school that traditionally does not offer scholarships. It is always worth a try though..