Should I lie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlover247

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have interview tomorrow for a job, that I desperately need (because my financial situation is crap). But every interview I've had, I told them that I'm applying to med school and can only work a year (hoping that I get in, keeping my fingers crossed) and every time I've been told they need someone for longer than that

At this rate I'm never gonna find a job---so...should I just not tell them that I'm applying? If they ask me about my future plans should I just say that I'm not sure?

btw, I just recently graduated w/ a bio degree

Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, so I have interview tomorrow for a job, that I desperately need (because my financial situation is crap). But every interview I've had, I told them that I'm applying to med school and can only work a year (hoping that I get in, keeping my fingers crossed) and every time I've been told they need someone for longer than that

At this rate I'm never gonna find a job---so...should I just not tell them that I'm applying? If they ask me about my future plans should I just say that I'm not sure?

Thanks for any advice!

There is no need to disclose your future plans...you don't have to lie, just don't volunteer the information.

If they ask you directly, it's up to you if you really want to lie...personally I don't think it's any of there business. I would say you are considering going to school in the future, but you're not sure when...this isn't technically a lie since you're not sure if you'll get in...

Definitely don't tell them that you're applying to med school unless you're directly asked. If you are asked, you could possibly just tell them that you're considering pursuing higher education sometime in the future and just leave it at that. Don't let them brand you a certain way because you are applying to Med School or anything like that.

Best of luck on the job search :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, just don't tell them you only plan on being there for a year

yeah definitely don't tell them. There is a difference between lying and just being dumb. I agree with foster completely (After the conservative pre-med thread, I never thought I'd say that.. we're still friends fost.:thumbup:)

Remember! Professionalism is just lying very carefully.

Reactions: 1 user

Thanks for any advice!

Don't mention medical school until you are accepted.

You would rubb off as somewhat cocky, telling them that you're planning to fill THEIR position on YOUR terms. Do it after you get the job, or not at all.

Thanks for any advice!

Don't feel bad for the company; Keep your mouth shut.

Think about it this way. If something happens, and the company is going under, do you think they would think twice about laying you off?

People come and go. Put yourself first, and stop thinking about the employer. They can always find someone to replace you.

ok, thanks everyone! I won't tell them till after I get hired.

I hope I get the job!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't tell them at all if they don't ask. You can give your two weeks once you're accepted. Now if you can follow this advice and have them not get suspicious for time you take off to go to interviews is another issue. When (if you do) you tell them, make sure you fulfill the job description so they don't give you the boot. Some employers have excellent abilities to spin a minor screw up into a tragedy.

Do what's most comfortable for you, not the SDN crowd. You won't get struck down by a bolt of lightning for lieing to an employer, but if it'll make your relationships and time at work uncomfortable it may not be worth it. There are plenty of places that pay well and will hire for a short term basis (retail sales jobs, research labs, bartending, etc.)... they might not look as good on an application/resume, but if you quit in the middle of your job you'll offend your boss and probably won't be able to list your experience on an app anyways, for fear of a bad reference. Just things to consider.

Never lie.

The future is never certain. Things change all the time and your course may get altered.

You don't have to voluntarily disclose information upfront. However, carefully consider the implications. What if you end up working there longer than a year?

Never burn bridges. This may come back to haunt you. This employer will go on your record as a potential reference.

Never lie.

The future is never certain. Things change all the time and your course may get altered.

You don't have to voluntarily disclose information upfront. However, carefully consider the implications. What if you end up working there longer than a year?

Never burn bridges. This may come back to haunt you. This employer will go on your record as a potential reference.

Once in medical school, you will never need them as a reference again.

OP, do not tell them you are applying to medical school. You don't need them as reference for your application, you may not get in, and it is none of their business. Let me reiterate that the company will fire you or lay you off at a moment's notice with no thought at all about your situation.

Reactions: 1 user
I know a lot of people who have been in your situation, I think it is okay to not tell the entire truth.

Plus you won't know you're accepted possibly until next summer. So you could be working for them more than a year if you aren't accepted to school. Once you are accepted though, who cares if you lied! That job is history.

On another note- my u. grad institution has one-year appointments for jr. scientists. Your job only lasts for one year then. Maybe you could look around for a job like this?

I was in this exact situation a year ago and what everyone is telling you is correct. Unless they directly ask you how long do you plan to be with this company (which is illegal anyway)? Then don't tell them a thing. When they, inevitably, ask you about your future plans you say something along the lines of, "I plan on working for a while but I have been toying with idea of going back to school some time in the future." Or, what I said in my interviews was something along the lines of, "I am really young and without having worked in the 'real world' it's hard to say what is I want to do or where I want to go without firsthand experience of how things really work in the business world" Then I spun some crap about how this job will help me set goals and get organized and blah blah blah, they ate it up and offered me the job the next morning.

Do what's most comfortable for you, not the SDN crowd. You won't get struck down by a bolt of lightning for lieing to an employer, but if it'll make your relationships and time at work uncomfortable it may not be worth it. There are plenty of places that pay well and will hire for a short term basis (retail sales jobs, research labs, bartending, etc.)... they might not look as good on an application/resume, but if you quit in the middle of your job you'll offend your boss and probably won't be able to list your experience on an app anyways, for fear of a bad reference. Just things to consider.

I told them the "truth".

"My future is uncertain, but I do know I want achieve more education. I am just not sure if that means going into medicine or going into research."

In my case, my boss has been extremely supportive. My boss even lightened my work load during my MCAT preparation. If people ask me about my future, I am honest with them and just say "I am applying, but my future is truly uncertain. I may not get in, and I love working here so I wouldn't mind staying at all." Which is the truth. Also, at the same time, my boss keeps my personal plans from higher ups (where job promotions/cuts are made). Also, if you do your work well, I think companies will think twice before letting you go (that's IMHO).

Last edited:
Only 42% of all applicants are admitted to medical school each year. Technically, telling a future employer you could only work for one year is statistically closer to a lie than the alternative. Had you been accepted ED to a school and had a seat guaranteed at this point, I'd say you're in moral grey territory, but as for now, I think you'll be able to sleep at night by saying exactly what others have previously suggested.

I don't really see how you can go a whole year without mentioning medical school interviews and applications. I would just tell them that you're applying from the start. If they find out later (perhaps when you're going to a med school interview), then it does not look good at all.

Never lie.

How is quitting a job (assuming you give 2 weeks notice) burning a bridge? You accepted a job, you didn't sell your soul to them, you have every right to quit whenever you want to... just as they can fire you whenever they want to (without reason in most states).

The job will only be a reference if you choose to make it one. For every job I've ever applied to I listed previous work experience and references separately (ie. I gave all previous work and then a list of which people to call). Plus, if you do get into med school, why would you care what this person/job has to say about you, I don't really think it would have any bearing on matching into residency.

yeah definitely don't tell them. There is a difference between lying and just being dumb. I agree with foster completely (After the conservative pre-med thread, I never thought I'd say that.. we're still friends fost.:thumbup:)

:lol:I never thought I'd hear that either, it sort of made my day...good to know we can look past political differences (which is probably for the best since politics is bs anyway)

Word. I
I made th mistake last year of talking about med school and I wasn't hired by ANYONE. Why hire someone who's going to leave in less than a year? I still worked for TPR so I made just enough money to survive. But I was broke. And if I could do it all over, I would have kept my med school aspirations VERY private.

thanks for the input everyone. I had my interview today and went with that advice of the majority of people, I didn't tell them.

I was asked what I want to do and I said I wasn't sure and that I might go back to school in the future, but that I don't know when, and she bought it..

I think it went pretty well, I find out next week. Hopefully I'll get it, I'm desperate here! :eek:

wow, sooo many dishonest people. Just because someone doesn't ask something, when its relevant you should be honest. They are going to be investing a lot of time and money on you, you should be honest up front. Most places don't assume your going to quit after less than a year, or about a year, and therefore, you might as well be honest. Its like getting into a relationship, and then 2 months later saying O, btw, I'm married, or I have a kid. Just because they don't feel the need to ask doesn't mean you should hide it.

While I was rejected from several jobs during my year off because of the whole applying to med school, I did get several amazing offers.

Good luck taking 10-12 days off for interviews.

If it wasn't for the fact that you need time off for interviews, I'd go with the "don't tell them" crowd. Getting time off for interviews if they don't know you are applying would be a royal pain in the ass.

I told the truth and no one hired me until I interviewed at this one biotech startup company in Palo Alto. I told them that I could only work for 6 months (I was already accepted) and yet they hired me because I was capable and didn't require much training. My other co-worker also told the truth before receiving an acceptance and was hired. According to my VP and the hiring manager, they know that Research Associates come and go and they would rather have top-notched individuals producing high quality work for them. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
I told the truth and it worked out with a part-time job...but yeah, listen to other people.

wow, sooo many dishonest people. Just because someone doesn't ask something, when its relevant you should be honest. They are going to be investing a lot of time and money on you, you should be honest up front. Most places don't assume your going to quit after less than a year, or about a year, and therefore, you might as well be honest. Its like getting into a relationship, and then 2 months later saying O, btw, I'm married, or I have a kid. Just because they don't feel the need to ask doesn't mean you should hide it.

While I was rejected from several jobs during my year off because of the whole applying to med school, I did get several amazing offers.

Good luck taking 10-12 days off for interviews.

LOL...it's not being dishonest, it's watching out for your own interests b/c if you don't do it no one else is going to.

Besides, like others have said...you only have ~40% shot of getting in so it's far from a sure thing. If I was in that situation I wouldn't want to say anything because I wouldn't want to jinx it.

Lets be real. Business is business. There is nothing immoral about being a smart applicant and a wise negotiator, whether it be for jobs and salary/benefit packages or used car prices. We all try to put forth our best/most impressive sides for medical school applications and interviews, while playing down the things that make us look less then stellar. After all, why disclose all those wild keg parties in college and that string of one-night stands in Amsterdam? Instead, one discusses being able to successfully maintain an active social life in college while focusing on academics and also having had the opportunity to travel and get to explore another culture abroad. See what I mean. One would be crazy to slit one's own throat by needlessly disclosing things that need not be disclosed.

In the case of the OP applying for a job, there is no requirement to disclose specific future plans and timelines, especially since many things can change over the course of a year. There is no gaurantee of a medical school acceptance, and therefore no way to really say that employment will only be restricted to a year. It is true that you are considering pursuing additional graduate education in the future, so you can easily say that if asked. Actually, you can even start to change the subject a little by following up in asking them about any company incentives for education, or even additional training and advancement opportunities through the department in which you are working. Even if you think you will be gone in a year, you may end up still being there, so these things should still be of interest to you.

There are also comments like: "Well, it is true that I have considered pursuing additional educational opportunities in the future, but at this point I am focused on developing my skills in (whatever the job involves, relevant field, whatever) because I feel that it would be a good fit for me and I believe that I would prove to be a valuable asset to your team."

Where do you see yourself in 5,10,20 years? You should start getting comfortable with this question if you arn't already. No one really knows where they will be in 10 years, but you can definitely give a good well-rounded semi-generic answer with some specifics tailored to whatever your particular situation is. What you don't want to say is that in 10 years you see yourself finishing a fellowship in cardiology. Kinda makes that hypothetical insurance management, lab, or whatever position you are applying for look like a terrible fit for you. When in actuality, the job you are applying for is probably a good fit to meet your needs right now, and potentially for some time in the future as well if your plans change or things don't work out.

The bottom line is that it is important to have strong morals and a good work ethic. However, it is also important to be a smart professional and keep an eye out for yourself and your own needs. The company's primary focus is to do what is best for the company, as it should be. You should respect the company's needs and be a loyal employee, but your main priority should be to plan for yourself and your family. The corporate world sure isn't going to do it for you. ;)

Last edited:
bottom line, if you know your going to medical school (applying and have a decent chance of getting in) it is lying. watch out for your own interests? give me a break, its not that cut throat out there for these lab positions. Why not lie about extra curriculars too while your at it. If you ever are a PI at a lab, or boss at a company, you'd be pissed if someone you spent 3 months training leaves after another 8

Last edited:
Don't feel bad for the company; Keep your mouth shut.

Think about it this way. If something happens, and the company is going under, do you think they would think twice about laying you off?

People come and go. Put yourself first, and stop thinking about the employer. They can always find someone to replace you.

Absolutely :thumbup:

Most likely, pre-meds are interviewing with professors and doctors who have grants etc to fund these people, you aren't messing with an company, rather an individual who may rely on you. And your working for a year. If a company fires you, you'll get some type of severance if its a big enough company that your job isn't too secure. Watch your ass first...the American way, and our country is doing o so well right now

The world is not all black and white, but shades of grey. Don't over think things like this, it is not worth it and you will have bigger things to wrestle with eventually anyway. Looking back from the future, this may seem like a very silly debate. I think the majority opinion here is that this is really a non-issue as far as general principle is concerned. After all, very few people take entry lab positions hoping to remain there long term and make a career out of it. Lab positions are traditionally very high turnover, so it goes with the turf. Yet, none of us apply for and obtain these jobs by saying that we want to gain some short term experience and use it as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Just keep in mind though that you want to avoid burning any bridges, and messing up anyone else's situation of course. In short, don't deliberately shaft anyone, but don't shaft yourself either.

Here is what I would advise.
You no longer consider medicine when asked about your future plans;however, the minute you are hired, you change your mind. This is your call and perfectly legal.

Here is what I would advise.
You no longer consider medicine when asked about your future plans;however, the minute you are hired, you change your mind. This is your call and perfectly legal.

I'm certain OP is grateful for your advice... 7 years late. And is probably in residency now

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks for any advice!

To the world of future naive students - never tell them how long you are going to stay - the only thing you need to do is give a 2 week notice when you leave.

"Why do you want to work at XXXX?"

Wrong answer: "i need to make some money for the next 12 months before I go to med school"
Right answer: "I admire YYY about XXXX, blah blah I hope to get AAAA out of this position" (where AAAA = can be experience, or anything other than money)