Should I Mention I Want to Specialize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kittycat090198

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[deleted]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello :)

For some background: I've worked and shadowed for a pediatric dentist for the last four years as a dental assistant. The office also has general dentists who work on those 18+ years old.

So, my question is, would it frowned upon if I mention or say (directly or indirectly) that I am most interested in pediatric dentistry in my application to dental school? I know dental schools' goal is to make successful general dentists so would this be weird of me/a negative on my application? Granted, I haven't had a lot of experience with different specialities so I'm not saying that I'm only willing to go to dental school as a means to become a pediatric dentist or even specialize at all... Just at the moment pediatrics is what interests me most.

Thanks!
I think that's a risky move. If I were you, I would not mention it. In the event that they ask whether you want to specialize, which is unlikely, you should probably say that you want to be the best clinician that you can be.

However, you shouldn't worry about this. It won't make or break your application.

Probably not the best idea to mention it if a school only wants GP's.

I mentioned I am gunning for OMS in my interviews but all of them support specializing and most even had residencies at the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello :)

For some background: I've worked and shadowed for a pediatric dentist for the last four years as a dental assistant. The office also has general dentists who work on those 18+ years old.

So, my question is, would it frowned upon if I mention or say (directly or indirectly) that I am most interested in pediatric dentistry in my application to dental school? I know dental schools' goal is to make successful general dentists so would this be weird of me/a negative on my application? Granted, I haven't had a lot of experience with different specialities so I'm not saying that I'm only willing to go to dental school as a means to become a pediatric dentist or even specialize at all... Just at the moment pediatrics is what interests me most.

Thanks!
A lot of schools actually really emphasize not thinking about specializing till you're actually in dental school and keeping an open mind, so I wouldn't mention it.

Reactions: 1 user
Up to you. I mentioned I dont know what my plans will be in the future but I like the fact by coming to "blah", the option will be available if I so choose and do well.

I would say be open to the idea of specializing, but you want to explore all your options first by getting into dental school and going through all your different rotations before making a decision. Emphasize being a well-rounded dentist.

When I interviewed potential applicants as a dental student, I disliked it when an applicant told me they only wanted to pursue one specialty when they didn't give the other specialties a fair assessment. I originally wanted to do endo during my preclinical days, but then changed my mind in clinic and pursued ortho instead. Just my two cents

Members don't see this ad :)
Toothman has it right. In my interview, I mentioned that I was interested in endo. Interviewer (an orthodontist) told me to keep my options open. About a month in, while waxing up # 30 for 2 hours, I realized that I could not do the same thing all day, err' day.

I settled for B's and have never been happier. For real, y'all, I'm studying less than I did in undergrad and am one of the most stress-free students in my class.

Reactions: 5 users
whoever told you not to mention it is simply wrong, but there is the wrong way to say it. Remember many of the people interviewing you will probably have some sort of specialty degree. At my uconn interview they asked me and since I was shadowing an oral surgeon i said i was maybe interested in OMFS because I was seeing such awesome procedures. Turned out the interviewer was an oral surgeon and he liked the response. Now im a second year and definitely will not be applying to OMFS but the point is it was a positive part of my interview and i ended up getting in. If you do say your are interested I would mention that your interested in learning about all the different specialties but that at this early point in time maybe your interested in pedo, omfs, whatever it is no need to shy away, but maybe give a good reason why you are interested in that specific specialty. Just be yourself and be honest there's no need to hide anything like that at your interview.

Forget about it being a negative if mentioned, how is it a positive? If you don't talk about it in a way that you think will increase their interest in you, why bring it up at all?

Definitely good to know! I really am keeping my options open but I wasn't sure if it was ok to talk/mention specializing in the application process and (hopefully) interviewing process but thank you for replying :) where are you at school?

I am at LSU. I think it is fine to express interest in certain fields, but I wouldn't say "I am going to be an orthodontist". The interviewer may take you for someone that has not fully researched the field and the work it takes to get into that specialty. Expressing interest is a little safer. It may mean that you will specialize, but it could also mean that you are going to be a GP that takes a lot of ortho CE.

I watched an admissions committee video saying that expressing your interest in specialty should not affect your chance of getting in.

When you say you want to specialize, they take that with a grain of salt because they know you will not be 100 percent sure until you are really exposed to the dentistry and the specialties during rotations.

Sure you might be 100 percent sure you want to pursue oral surgery, but other people might say theu are interested in certain specialties just because that was the one they shadowed.

So, from what i heard, it should not affect your chance.

But if you say "i am keeping my options open" to begin with, they might be more receptive..

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, echoing what others have said, dont mention you want to specialize. Just say you want to be a general dentist but are still open to the possibility of specializing if you happen to fall in love with a specialty while in dental school. Research the school beforehand, some only want students that dont want to specialize. LECOM is such a school.

Definitely make sure you research the school to find out if they are only looking to produce GP.

But I definitely mentioned my interest in OMS at every interview I went to and got into all of them. I even went as far as emphasizing on that particular area because it is my strength. And no, I did not apply to any school that are mostly looking to produce GPs such as LECOM, Tuft, etc.