Should I move out or stay at parents house?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biologyjunkie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply to med school next year.
I work full time.
I live at dad's house.
It's getting hard to focus on studies.
I'm contemplating on moving into an apartment by myself.
Dad has remarried since mom passed away. When he gets mad at his wife he moves back to our house. He's really annoying. He's retired sheriff. Lately he's been walking around the house with a pellet gun. He claims he's shooting squirles. I feel threatened. The other day he yelled at me with the gun in his hands. The apartment said I can move in next month. Should I move? Drawback is if I get accepted here at med. school I'll have to move back with dad. I'm so confused an scared

Members don't see this ad.

I work full time.
I live at dad's house.
Dad has remarried since mom passed away. When he gets mad at his wife he moves back to our house. He's really annoying. He's retired sheriff. Lately he's been walking around the house with a pellet gun. He claims he's shooting squirles. I feel threatened. The other day he yelled at me with the gun in his hands. The apartment said I can move in next month. Should I move? Drawback is if I get accepted here at med. school I'll have to move back with dad. I'm so confused an scared
If you are accepted to medical school, why would you have to move back in with your father? I am sure there are plenty of housing options available.

If you are distracted, threatened, or inconvenienced by where you are living, and you have the ability to move out, why would you consider staying? No-brainer to me, and if you are worried because you never lived on your own before, plenty of people have taken that step before you without major problems, so there is nothing you write here to make me think you will have an issue.

Yes, you should move if you feel threatened.

Drawback is if I get accepted here at med. school I'll have to move back with dad.

Why is that?

Members don't see this ad :)
MOVE. If you feel unsafe, move ASAP.
Do not worry about what may or may not happen years down the road, worry about what will happen next week.
And you do not ever have to move back in with him- med schools have dorms or off campus housing options.

I live at dad's house.
Yikes. You should move out asap. Move to a friend's house, to another house or apartment. Do not stay there, where you feel threatened.

Definitely move. I wish I had the option to stay at my parents' house but if you feel threatened then take on the additional debt and move out! Your safety and well being are more important than saving money.

You have a very toxic atmosphere. Move, stat.

Get your dad to seek some help. You can't make him, but at try, and you've done your due diligence as a good child.

I work full time.
I live at dad's house.

Reactions: 3 users
When should I break the news to him?
I thought maybe over breakfast at a restaurant. I don't want to move out on wrong foot

Your dad is a nutjob. You could always lie that you found a great deal and it's near a different job or something. If you are worried about breaking the news to him, it means that he is not a supportive dad. To deal with that, help yourself first and don't be too forthcoming. He is only interested in what suits him and not his kid.

I work full time.
I live at dad's house.

I can honestly understand how you feel. I thought my parents would have been proud of me since I got into a State School for a DPT Program starting in Fall. Instead they have been going out of their way to make my life miserable at home. They have required me to cook my food on certain days, don't let me eat in the kitchen if they are cleaning the dishes (make me wait an hour or two hours), and try to micromanage everything I do. I don't think I will be able to study with all the stress. One day they will be very nice to me and talk about how I should live at home and the next day they will talk about how It bothers them that I am home and I should move out. They are honestly messing with my mind and go back and forth, its driving me crazy. Although I am scared about the loans, and moving out (Im 28 and the last couple of times I tried to move out on my own, I failed), I am strongly considering it even though Im scared at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user