Should I participate in the Osteopathic match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOcusate

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
DO student from the Northeast here. Maybe some of you are in a similar boat.

My Stats:
22x USMLE 1
22x USMLE 2
58x COMLEX 1
49x COMLEX 2
Passed PE first try, no significant red flags

Applied both MD/DO Neuro spots, only applied to DO programs in the NE/NE Central due to location preferences. Interviewed at my top 2 DO programs already. Have received 10 MD interviews so far, planning on going to between 10-12. Is it a safe bet to sit out the AOA match or should I not chance it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DO student from the Northeast here. Maybe some of you are in a similar boat.

My Stats:
22x USMLE 1
22x USMLE 2
58x COMLEX 1
49x COMLEX 2
Passed PE first try, no significant red flags

Applied both MD/DO Neuro spots, only applied to DO programs in the NE/NE Central due to location preferences. Interviewed at my top 2 DO programs already. Have received 10 MD interviews so far, planning on going to between 10-12. Is it a safe bet to sit out the AOA match or should I not chance it?

Thanks!

I think you are safe to sit it out. Unless you really would be happy at one of the DO residencies. I am not participating in the DO match. You probably have better chances than me because I did not even take the USMLE. I really was just not happy with the quality and/or location (or pay - most of them pay horribly!) of the DO neuro residencies so I chose to risk it.

Good luck!

Just curious...based on your post hx, how committed are you to Neuro? It looks like you've been interested in both FM and IM in the past.

Are you applying to more than just Neuro?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not anymore. That was long before the application process started and I'd had any neuro rotations. I'm only applying neuro.

Would be nice if someone a little more senior than us MS 4s could weigh in?

Would be nice if someone a little more senior than us MS 4s could weigh in?

Okay, here is my weigh in---

Neurology will always be competitive at the high powered institutions and will require a top of the line candidate.

BUT

Overall, neurology is not the most competitive specialty and your scores will suffice. Also it is more than scores, what else do you have to offer? Lastly, there is a geography for DOs. Central and Eastern US, you're golden! Western US, you're taking your chances.

DOcusate, what kind of places are you getting interviews at? I'm a DO with literally identical USMLE and COMLEX scores (for step one, I'm only a third year) who will be applying to neuro in the NE/midwest next year. Just trying to get an idea and what types of places I'll be competitive at.