Should I postpone my OAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optometry52358

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take the OAT in about 2 weeks (June 23rd) but feel very unprepared. I have been studying since classes finished the first week of May but have been busy with work and I'm behind schedule on my study plan. I feel good about biology but have not finished reviewing gen chem, organic, or physics.

I was thinking of postponing my exam to mid or late July. I don't mind paying the fee and I feel it would give me more time to study but will postponing my exam delay my application and hurt my chances of being accepted?

I have a 3.95 GPA, shadowing hours, and many extra curricular activities. Should I take the OAT on my scheduled date and take the chance of getting a low score that could possibly be a red flag to optometry schools? Or take the exam in July with (hopefully) a higher score but late application?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken any practise tests? That should give you a good indication of where you're at, I would think. If you're not doing so hot on practise tests, I think it would be better to delay it a month and get a better score than writing it early and not getting a good score. You'll still be fine to apply in July, if that's when you're planning on applying.

And just to add on to Aristen, you can submit your application before you take the OAT. Also, as long as you apply before or during October/November your application is still considered early. I would recommend rescheduling the OAT if you feel that unprepared. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol with a 3.95 just relax, do a practice test so you know where you have to focus for the next little bit and trust yourself