should i postpone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cupcakewarrior

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I spent the last semester studying at a relaxed pace, mostly doing content review and taking a Kaplan class. And then as soon as my finals ended last Tuesday, I've been studying in earnest for the May 20 test. I'm not planning to apply this year anymore, so now I have the option to take it in August (and retake in January if I mess up).

Please note that my GPA--especially sGPA--is a sad, sad thing and so I'm looking to prove my science knowledge as much as possible. As far as summer time conflicts, I'm taking an "easy" bio class (4 hours in class, around 4 hours of work outside per week) and doing some shadowing.

My score progression on Kaplan full lengths: 494 in January, 499 in March, 500 on Wednesday, 506 on Friday, 508 on Sunday. I'm taking the AAMC test tomorrow and will update with results.

On the one hand, I feel like I can really improve to a great score (520+) if I keep studying like this for several months. On the other hand, I *could* take it this week and then again in August anyway, but I know retakes are kind of meh if you can avoid it. Does anyone have thoughts/personal experiences on the pros and cons I should consider?

Members don't see this ad.

If you know you can do better - probably best to postpone. I mean as you said there is no rush and you know how a good MCAT score can help someone in your position (GPA-wise)

Yeah if you feel you can do better I would postpone and take it when you’re 100 percent ready. You generally want to take the test once and score the highest you can.