Should i pour out the big bucks to get my teeth bleached?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemcnei2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically the reason why i am going into dentistry is to work with the low income population. After of course paying off my school loans and etc, i plan to open reduce priced clinics for patients who lack dental insurance and have serious health concerns. Yes, i will be taking a pay cutt, but i dont really mind it, as long as i make enough to survive lol. There are not alot of clinics that cater to adults, they mostly cater to children. And charity events are only held a few times a year, with wait times of up to 5 hours just for minor procedures.
I never had dental insurance or could afford to have dental procedures done growing up. My father has terrible teeth for the same reason, and my brother was born with a deformities in his mouth, that had to recently be corrected by an oral surgeon...he is still in the recovery process. Mainly my motivation is because of my family and the numberous people who are classified as not caring about their teeth because they have minor problems ( but in reality don't have the funds to get these issues fixed so minor problems become major problems down the road as care is delayed because of lack of funds)
i have shadowed in a dental clinic and seen people come in with issues and not have the money to treat them. I have watched as my dentist really didn't understand why someone would not just pay to get these issues fixed. I one the other hand kind of understood where they were coming from , because i had been inthe same situation. I actually love dentistry, i can actually see myself doing the meticulous procedures invovled with dentistry......i am actually thinking of going into oral surgery.
I am applying to dental school, and my teeth are straight but a minorly discolored and i was wondering if i should spend the money to bleach and get my teeth in adequate condition......or wait until i get into dental school and learn these procedures and take care of the issues myself. I know its kind of a dumb question but i seriously want to make sure i have the best chance of getting in. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you want white teeth now, then do it now. If you don't care, then save the $$ and do it later. Either way, it will have no effect on DS admissions.

Your admission will not be affected by the color or shape of your teeth (mine was not). Once in dental school, you will get access to many procedures for free or with a deep discount; so if money is a concern - don't do it.
Also, you can just use Aquafresh Advanced Seal (it works almost as good - at a fraction of the cost). Plus, any fillings, crowns, etc. will not be affected by the whitening process, and with the over-the-counter kit you have much more control over when to stop in order not to look like you have a rainbow of colors in your mouth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Big bucks? Just get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, $0.99, and do a 1:1 dilution with water. Splash some minty mouthwash into it if you want some flavor. This is essentially the same as Listerine Whitening, except it doesn't cost $8.49 a bottle. Swish it in your mouth for 30 seconds in the morning and at night, before you brush. It works for me, I always get compliments on my pearly whites, thanks to H2O2 :)

I had a 5-minute a day kit from a super market, it costs $7... I did daily for like 3 weeks and got pretty decent results

You can do it now or later in d-school. But I'd like to day Good Luck in the future! I hope you really do open a clinic for the unprivilieged. :D

It shouldn't have an effect on admissions and most probably won't.
But you never know... plus it doesn't cost much to get those whitening strips or w/e else there is out there now and it worked very well for me.

Never buy over the counter whitening products ever again!!!! Whiten your teeth when you get to dental school. It's amazingly cheap and MUCH more effective. The tray material's $1 per sheet, the alginate's 50 cents, stone's free from the school, and peroxide gel's about $25 for four 3g syringes. I gave my friends and family pearly whites for about $10/person. Same price as "Cathy's teeth", ...that mom who discovered how to whiten teeth using everyday materials.

Big bucks? Just get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide, $0.99, and do a 1:1 dilution with water. Splash some minty mouthwash into it if you want some flavor. This is essentially the same as Listerine Whitening, except it doesn't cost $8.49 a bottle. Swish it in your mouth for 30 seconds in the morning and at night, before you brush. It works for me, I always get compliments on my pearly whites, thanks to H2O2 :)

but I read somewhere that H2O2 increase the vapor of mercury from old mercury amalgam fillings.

- use a teeth whitener such as crest strips
- drink lemon juice
- cut back on coffee/soda
- stop smoking

Good tips, but for the lemon juice, I would imagine that the acidity of lemon juice wouldn't be good for your teeth, the same reason that soda isn't good for you (+ the carbs). That was my first impression, but enlighten me if you have tried it and got good results! :)

In addition, if you're a student, maybe there are dentist office discounts, with an exam or something of that sort.

Look into it.

Something cheap and free is to go outside on a sunny day and smile while facing at the sun. Over time you will notice a difference, oh and did mention it's free! I do it all the time and get complements on how white my teeth are all the time, even from my dentist!:D

Something cheap and free is to go outside on a sunny day and smile while facing at the sun. Over time you will notice a difference, oh and did mention it's free! I do it all the time and get complements on how white my teeth are all the time, even from my dentist!:D

may be your skin which is turned darker and giving off an illusion that you got some white teeth...