Should I put volunteer hours for something I don't have a reference for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AtomicPancakez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My question is I have done volunteer work with one of my coworkers for the last few years but I'm not exactly sure how many hours or if she would be a suitable reference. Every few months for the last 3 years I would help her with Meals on Wheels but never officially recorded my hours or know if they do record hours. On the chance that they do though I don't want to put this on my application on the off chance that they may try to contact them. Do you think it would be ok if I put my coworker down as a reference for this instead of someone affiliated with Meals on Wheels or just not bring it up at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Try to estimate the hours you put in (be conservative, to be safe). Talk to your co-worker about it and if they're cool with it then list them as a reference.

Try to estimate the hours you put in (be conservative, to be safe). Talk to your co-worker about it and if they're cool with it then list them as a reference.

I fully agree.

Can you get your coworker to talk to Meals on Wheels people and then list MoW as your references? And I agree be conservative in your estimate. Hours don't matter all that much anyway, in comparison to how well you can speak about the experience and what you gained from it.