Should I quit my job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jman35

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a premed who is on the track to undertake a lengthy postbac. currently I work at a medical device/biotech company but I am very unhappy there. I have tried to get a job in a research lab but I am having trouble with that as well. Basically I don't like it here and and am only staying for the money. What I actually want to do is quit and move back home and save money on rent and expenses while living at home and doing postbac/research. I worry about leaving though because I think that my short amount of work experience will make it very hard to land another job. In the end though, I am unhappy and don't really want to be here. How detrimental do you think it would be to me to quit now? I do have a legitimate reason in that I want to relocate to be closer to my family since my parents are older and need my help..so I was hoping that future positions would understand that as my reason for leaving. what do you guys think? Quit now, move, and volunteer if I cant find a paid position in order to show that I am at least doing something?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think quitting your job should be that detrimental. You will be much happier at home, which is extremely important. Future employers should be understanding of your situation and in case you do have trouble landing a paid position, volunteering can only improve your application. At the end of the day, moving back home seems like the way to go. Just focus and work hard on your postbac courses and you should be on your way. :thumbup: