Should I quit my job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veilside

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
well here's my dilemma...
right now i'm working in nyu med school, helping out with organizing the microbio course for school of medicine. but i hate my boss!!! recently i told her that i may have to take a day off here and there for my medical school interviews and she started questioning my commitment to my job, and told me that i should try not to set up more than one interview in the same MONTH. WTF! what do you guys think i should do? i was thinking of quitting this POS of a job and volunteering at a hostpial and maybe doing some tutoring on the side. i think it'll be more productive for me and also give me that extra clinical experience that i'd like to have. any comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

EDIT: and what's even more frustrating is that they knew that i was applying to medical school when i applied for this position. :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

bag it! - it seems like the reprecussions of quitting are pretty low from your post, so do it. whats the point in staying in a frustrating job -that would suck. enjoy- takecare.

-jot

listen to jot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I hate when they change their mind about understandings that you made before employment (i.e. the fact that you would be applying to med school). I worked in a lab that had said they would be "flexible" with schedules, but the reality was that we came in the first day, and the postdoc said, "you can change your weekly schedule twice." I say get rid of the crappy job. The boss seems evil, and it looks like you have plenty of other options and chances for experience.

I am reminded of lyrics from "Shove This Jay-Oh-Bee" by Canibus & Biz Markie:

Take this job and shove it
I ain't workin here no more

(anyone see OfficeSpace?)

-RA

unless you want to stay in this job forever... i suggest you explain to them how the med-school admissions process works, and let them know that interviews are requirements, and not 'optional' like in undergrad. with that in mind, i agree with jot... tell em to suck a sack and bail on those *****.
p

haha thanks guys...

you don't think if i quit, they'll report that to the school of medicine?

Originally posted by Veilside
haha thanks guys...

you don't think if i quit, they'll report that to the school of medicine?

I should hope not...I mean, I guess if the med school checks up on your reference the lab might say something, but I would hope that the lab wouldn't tell the med school...

If you do quit, swallow your pride and bow out gracefully. Though it might make you feel better to take a "shove it" approach, take the high road and leave on the best terms possible.

Originally posted by JBJ
If you do quit, swallow your pride and bow out gracefully. Though it might make you feel better to take a "shove it" approach, take the high road and leave on the best terms possible.

The lyrics were just for fun. :) I didn't mean to suggest that veilside should follow them.

Originally posted by Random Access

Take this job and shove it
I ain't workin here no more

-RA

I know that you were just joking, but as a former recruiter, people do this. They feel good for the weekend, then they realize they have no job and have left a trail of bad feelings that bites them later.

There are so many VERY supportive mentors out there and I think it really makes a difference. I am sure that NYU med and other medical centers in the area have plenty of other great opportunities for you with people who are willing to support your future - start exploring your options.

Originally posted by Kermie
There are so many VERY supportive mentors out there and I think it really makes a difference. I am sure that NYU med and other medical centers in the area have plenty of other great opportunities for you with people who are willing to support your future - start exploring your options.

The frog is right VEILSIDE. Definitely find yourself a more suitable position before you lay down the law to your boss. Otherwise you may be up the river without anything to help you.

-CT

i was thinking some of the same stuff about my job, but i am sort of afraid to quit. i put the job as what i would be doing this year on all my med school apps, and i don't really want to have to explain at each interview that i quit my job. i don't think it would look so great. interviewers might think you were kind of a quitter/not on top of things enough to make sure the job would work in the first place.

so did you put this job on your apps? one more thing to think about.

good luck. i definitely feel your difficult boss pain!

i was thinking the same thing.
right now, i'm working in a lab and i'll be doing that for the coming year. however, my coworkers and boss don't know that i have applied to medical school because if they did, they wouldn't have hired me. i don't plan on telling them either even when interviews come around because i'm scared that they will fire me. plus, i've written on my apps that this is what i'll be doing for the coming year. i guess i'll just have to call in sick or say i'm going on vacation.