Should I re-apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fromcanada

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm from Canada and I applied to US schools really late this year (AADSAS mailed to schools on 12/20). I only got accepted into NYU and BU. I haven't heard back from UofP, UofPenn, Case but I figure that it's probably too late in the game (only applied to a few schools that I believe are Canadian-friendly). I like NYU when I interviewed there except 1) big class size 2) $$$ tuition. BU is better in terms of class size but it's not my top choice since it's still pretty expensive and not as clinically strong as some of the other schools out there.

I was trying to decide between NYU and BU for a while now and still don't know which one I should attend. So I was wondering if I should apply again considering my stats are quite good (cDAT: 22PAT 24Chem 24Bio 24RC; BCP GPA: 3.79). However, I'm worried abt the possible negative consequences of turning down acceptances. But if I do decide to apply again, I will definitely want to apply to UofP again and UDM, as well as other cheaper public schools that have a good number of OOS seats.

Any help/comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do what you want. Why are you asking strangers on the internet?

It will be ridiculous to re-apply after you get accepted somewhere but hey, go ahead.. you will definitely give someone else a seat!!
If you are trying to save money, then calculate how much you will be lossing by graduating a year later???
If I was you, I will go to BU. Good luck on your decision

Members don't see this ad :)
Wherever you go, as international, it will be expensive.

Why would you apply to a school, get accepted, and then think about reapplying the next cycle? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of applying to the school?

Reactions: 1 users
Financially speaking, you'll have to find a school that is cheaper than NYU or BU by ($160k - your_salary_this_year), to come out ahead. I don't think that's possible for an international student. There is also the question of whether NYU, BU, or any other school will take you once you've snubbed some school. I honestly do not know the answer to that, but I have been told it's a big faux pas.

Dental school admissions is getting really competitive every year. You do have a great stats but you never know what it's like to apply next year. And I'm pretty sure you don't necessarily pay in-state rate as a Canadian student attending state schools. I'd just go to BU if I were ya.