This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rs_med_student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys.
i am a hopefully soon to be 2nd year med student
obviously i did my physiology class and i did fantastic.
the Q in the tite has been on my mind for quite a while.

we used guyton's textbook of physiolgy...the freakin bible of physiology
i liked it a lot and found it fairly easy to understand and also its not timewasting or drawn out in useless talking and paragraphs like bad textbooks (such as Tortora's principles of anatomy...GOD i HATED that book ..yet i was FORCED to read half of it ; _ ; )

my question is:
is it a good idea to read medical bibles? bibles such as guyton for physio...big robins for patho etc.
cover to cover (excluding some chapters which would clearly be useless. or Too advanced for me to need them..but that would be a max of 200 pages per bible in any subject) not necessarily during the course...maybe in the summer or whatever

keep in mind i have read about 150 pages from guyton during my course and my leisure reading (ofc thats not all the physio i learned..i relied on lecture notes for the majority of the course)

but do you think it will make me a better doctor and give me an edge over the rest of my classmates who RARELY EVER read a handful of chapters from a book in a course..if at all.
please give the reason for ur answer and any other suggestions for my improvement
thx :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should read it all of them cover to cover 2x. Then tell your classmates and attendings.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello guys.
i am a hopefully soon to be 2nd year med student
obviously i did my physiology class and i did fantastic.
the Q in the tite has been on my mind for quite a while.

we used guyton's textbook of physiolgy...the freakin bible of physiology
i liked it a lot and found it fairly easy to understand and also its not timewasting or drawn out in useless talking and paragraphs like bad textbooks (such as Tortora's principles of anatomy...GOD i HATED that book ..yet i was FORCED to read half of it ; _ ; )

my question is:
is it a good idea to read medical bibles? bibles such as guyton for physio...big robins for patho etc.
cover to cover (excluding some chapters which would clearly be useless. or Too advanced for me to need them..but that would be a max of 200 pages per bible in any subject) not necessarily during the course...maybe in the summer or whatever

keep in mind i have read about 150 pages from guyton during my course and my leisure reading (ofc thats not all the physio i learned..i relied on lecture notes for the majority of the course)

but do you think it will make me a better doctor and give me an edge over the rest of my classmates who RARELY EVER read a handful of chapters from a book in a course..if at all.
please give the reason for ur answer and any other suggestions for my improvement
thx :)

If you have a practice like reading textbooks for study and in leisure time, this is very good. You can pass the class without textbook knowledge but reading books gives you a better understanding of pathophsiology. Guyton's (which is runned by Hall now) is a classical book which is brillant at both scientific and expression sides.

I offer you to read the chapters which you took the lessons and make a review or read the other chapters you find interesting in your leisure time.

If you keep up reading with Robbin's pathology and a pharmacology book, that will lead you a better understanding of medicine. I hope this will help you in exams.

For me? Yep, I read Guyton's one, Robbin's three times and pharma textbook (Kayaalp's - in turkish). I think it's a good acrivity to read :)

Take care.

yeah, but keep it on the dl. be a lowkey genius. its hard to keep it in but you dont want to be the most hated person in your class lol

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a practice like reading textbooks for study and in leisure time, this is very good. You can pass the class without textbook knowledge but reading books gives you a better understanding of pathophsiology. Guyton's (which is runned by Hall now) is a classical book which is brillant at both scientific and expression sides.

I offer you to read the chapters which you took the lessons and make a review or read the other chapters you find interesting in your leisure time.

If you keep up reading with Robbin's pathology and a pharmacology book, that will lead you a better understanding of medicine. I hope this will help you in exams.

For me? Yep, I read Guyton's one, Robbin's three times and pharma textbook (Kayaalp's - in turkish). I think it's a good acrivity to read :)

Take care.

wow thats impressive..
what robbins do you mean? big robbins (pathologic basis of disease) or baby robbins (basic pathology)?
btw i have the baby one (which is a misleading name because i dont think that 900 crammed pages make a "baby" book)
do u think the big one is a necessity or that there's a big difference between the two?

wow thats impressive..
what robbins do you mean? big robbins (pathologic basis of disease) or baby robbins (basic pathology)?
btw i have the baby one (which is a misleading name because i dont think that 900 crammed pages make a "baby" book)
do u think the big one is a necessity or that there's a big difference between the two?

Yep I have read Robbins Basic Pathology ;)