Should I reapply with my new MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudenttt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I have been accepted to two medical schools: UTMB and TTUHSC. I think both schools are great. I am a 100% certain I will be attending one of them.

My MCAT score drastically improved (29 to a 38). I took it out of cycle though so it does not have any bearing on my current application. I got accepted with my original score.

Would anyone consider reapplying in this case to get into schools like Baylor, Southwestern, and top out of state schools (I am a Texas resident)? I am just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

That would be dumb. Imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you should reapply

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
all MD schools will know you declined acceptances.
Not true.

AMCAS and/or AACOMAS schools won't be aware that you got TMDSAS school acceptances as there is no cross-communication between those application systems, but I'd bet they'll assume you applied through the Texas system at the same time, and are less likely to attend their school if they accept you. This would change the dynamic of their decision-making to be less favorable to you.

It would be good to have @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM chime in to verify what I said, but I've seen several of these threads and what I said seems to be the case, the Texas system may be separate though

Not true.

AMCAS and/or AACOMAS schools won't be aware that you got TMDSAS school acceptances as there is no cross-communication between those application systems, but I'd bet they'll assume you applied through the Texas system at the same time, and are less likely to attend their school if they accept you. This would change the dynamic of their decision-making to be less favorable to you.
Alright I edited my post. Thank you!

My MCAT score drastically improved (29 to a 38). I took it out of cycle though so it does not have any bearing on my current application. I got accepted with my original score.

Would anyone consider reapplying in this case to get into schools like Baylor, Southwestern, and top out of state schools (I am a Texas resident)? I am just curious.

1. Good job on that score improvement! However, schools will still see your first score as well. While you certainly look better than someone applying with a 29, you do not look as good as someone who took the test once and made a 38. As crazy as it sounds, you are NOT competitive for top out-of-state schools, even with that new score. If the rest of your application is amazing you have a chance, but only around average. For example, your score is around the middle of what the University of Michigan interviewed this year, and some other top schools have even higher standards.

2. UTSW will see that you were accepted to TTUHSC and UTMB and declined those acceptances. They will not accept you. I don't know how much Baylor is communicating with TMDSAS these days, but it is possible that they would know that you were accepted to those schools as well. Additionally, you face the same problem as in "1.", in that your score doesn't make you a very competitive applicant for Baylor anyways, certainly not enough to throw away the two acceptances you have.

Take your acceptances and focus and do an outstanding job at Tech or UTMB, and you can still be a fantastic physician.

TL;DR: Not competitive for top schools, incredibly high risk of not getting into medical school at all if turning down these acceptances.