Should I reschedule and study for 3 more months?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am scheduled to take the MCAT on October 25th, but I don't feel like I have enough time to reach my peak level of performance. I've scored a 33 on AAMC 3, 4, and 5, but I am really hoping for around a 36 on the real thing, and these scores just aren't cutting it. In my heart of hearts, I don't feel like a month will be enough time to unlock my full potential. What's more, I am currently taking three lab courses as part of my DIY post-bacc, so that eats away a lot of time from my MCAT prep.

If I rescheduled for late January, I would have the luxury of unadulterated study time during all of winter break. I still have 11 Kaplan Exams and 5 AAMC full lengths at my disposal, and I want to make the most out of them, not just squeeze them in this last month.

The Dilemma:

Reschedule for January 23rd:
  • Pro = Three more months of study time, which includes a winter break with no distractions.
  • Con = All-or-nothing: No opportunity to retake the current format if I do poorly.
Keep my October 25th date:
  • Pro = I can still have a retake in the current format if I do poorly, thus avoiding MCAT2015.
  • Con = Less time to study. May not be fully prepared.

What do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

Pushing it back that long when you are already scoring 33 with just over a month out from test date sounds risky to me. If you keep going hard the next month I see no reason why you can't hit that 35+ you want. Most people seem to see the largest jump in their scores the last month due to doing FL's and extensive post game. I.e. you gain a few points just by becoming acclimated to the test so to speak.

If money is not a problem for you, why not take it in Oct and retake it in Jan if you have to? No need to give up one more chance to take it bf it changes.

If money is not a problem for you, why not take it in Oct and retake it in Jan if you have to? No need to give up one more chance to take it bf it changes.
I don't think re-taking will be an option since most seats in Jan are filling up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in Massachusetts. I am very confident there will be January spots open in November. People always cancel their dates around the 1 month mark when they realize they are not prepared.

I live in Massachusetts. I am very confident there will be January spots open in November. People always cancel their dates around the 1 month mark when they realize they are not prepared.
Just be sure you'll be willing to travel if that isn't the case. I just looked and as of now, only 2 out of the 5 January dates have seats available in Massachusetts. It changes frequently but just wanted you to be aware of that. However, with a 33 on your practice test I don't think you even need to worry about retaking. A 33 is good! It isn't the 36 that you want but it's still damn good.