Should I resign to reapply for 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcrasmussen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So It is February 1 and I havn't heard a word for months. I have interviewed at Penn and Loma Linda. My stats are not that bad (stats that aren't that bad). So when do I just resign to the fact that I will have to re-apply next year? What are the chances of getting in this late? Anyone else in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

Those are good stats, how many places did you apply. People get spots up until till classes start at some places. Never give up, at least with grades and scores like that.

From the rumors, Loma Linda hasn't really shelling out their acceptances yet, so I wouldn't lose hope. Of course, if you haven't heard by the end of may, you may want to fill out that AADSAS again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Penn, Loma Linda, UOP, UCSF, San Antonio, Baylor, Arizona, Maryland, VCU, Oklahoma, Louisville, and Creighton. As for waiting till May, I am considering taking the DAT again. If I do I will want to prep for that. Is there not a date when I could know with some assurance that I am not getting into schools this round? March? April?

I applied to Penn, Loma Linda, UOP, UCSF, San Antonio, Baylor, Arizona, Maryland, VCU, Oklahoma, Louisville, and Creighton. As for waiting till May, I am considering taking the DAT again. If I do I will want to prep for that. Is there not a date when I could know with some assurance that I am not getting into schools this round? March? April?

you're DAT scores are awesome..i dont think that was the problem...when did you submit your aadsas? based on when i received my interview from penn, it seems like they may be waiting just to see their other applicants, so that might be why they are taking a while...hopefully you hear from one of those schools soon! :thumbup:

you're DAT scores are awesome..i dont think that was the problem...when did you submit your aadsas? based on when i received my interview from penn, it seems like they may be waiting just to see their other applicants, so that might be why they are taking a while...hopefully you hear from one of those schools soon! :thumbup:

I think that may have been my problem. My son was born July and that last month took all my time helping my wife etc. So I didn't get AADSAS finished until late July. I had no idea that was such a big deal. I kick myself now for taking AADSAS submit date lightly.

no need to retake your DATs man...those are solid scores across the board. out of the schools you applied to, SA, Baylor, OKlahoma, and UCSF are all very picky about in state residency, especially TX schools and OK. UOP is very random in who they pick, and so is AZ and Loma Linda. Also, i've seen it mentioned more than a few times and even heard it myself that those who went to or go to BYU are up against their own, and there are some pretty stellar candidates coming from BYU. Just wait it out, see what happens, and if you do have to reapply next year choose your schools carefully. and definitely apply EARLY next year, like May or early, early June. Good luck.

I think that may have been my problem. My son was born July and that last month took all my time helping my wife etc. So I didn't get AADSAS finished until late July. I had no idea that was such a big deal. I kick myself now for taking AADSAS submit date lightly.

aww congrats on your son :p i really hope you hear soon...but like sumluck said, i wouldn't lose all hope yet...just wait it out a few more months and in the meantime enjoy playing with the little one...good luck :luck:

Koochooloo, do have any sense what is going on at VCU. When did you interview there?

I don't see why you have to "resign" to that fact, but IMHO I think it's smart to start preparing for next cycle. Still keep your hopes up for this cycle though, it can still work out.

I have really similar stats to you... my GPA is about the same and our DATs are identical except I have a 21 GC and AA and a 21 PAT. I finished my app about a month after you and I only got one interview invite with a rejection. I'm moving forward and taking steps to ensure an acceptance next year, but I wouldn't mind having those tentative plans thrown off with an acceptance to d-school. that's for sure... good luck to you with school and you're brand new son!

Is there not a date when I could know with some assurance that I am not getting into schools this round? March? April?

There are many schools that accept people up to a week or a few days before classes start (in late August or whatever.) So unfortunately, no.....if you're flexible you could always start making new plans but have an idea of how you'd get everything ready in a few weeks if you do hear back from someone! :luck:

There are many schools that accept people up to a week or a few days before classes start (in late August or whatever.) So unfortunately, no.....if you're flexible you could always start making new plans but have an idea of how you'd get everything ready in a few weeks if you do hear back from someone! :luck:

=)

So It is February 1 and I havn't heard a word for months. I have interviewed at Penn and Loma Linda. My stats are not that bad (stats that aren't that bad). So when do I just resign to the fact that I will have to re-apply next year? What are the chances of getting in this late? Anyone else in the same boat?

Penn doesn't fill the class until they finish interviewing in March - so there's still time.

This is my second year applying because last year I didn't apply until august. I had some interviews but no acceptances. I was hanging in the balance all the way up until may because every school told me they will still potentially admit people even a week into classes starting. So this is what I did. I re-applied this year and had my app in by june 1st. So I was booking interviews for this cycle, while still hopeing to get in somewhere. I forget now when you said you interviewed at Penn and are waiting to hear from them. I believe they are still pretty early in their acceptance cycle... probably about 3/4ths offered. I interviewed at Penn on Jan. 19th, and received my acceptance a week later. So hang in there, and maybe I will see you there next year! GOOD LUCK!

Maybe im too late for you to see this... I am from the same state as you and have similar stats. I would simply suggest applying to more schools that look strongly at our students.... Case, Nova, Pitt, Marquette..etc. You need to apply where you will be looked at. Good luck

Don't give up yet. I just got my first acceptance today after interviewing at 2 schools in November!!

your stats seem OUTSTANDING!!!! i do not know how schools did not accept you yet? what were you ec's and how did your interviews go? Maybe it was one of those things that affected you in a bad way. I have also heard that texas schools accept almost no one from out of state, so I think rejections from those three schools can be explained, but what about the other ones? I am SCARED for I am soon to take the DATS and apply for the 2008 cycle!!!:scared:

DentalDevil - what schools did you apply to????