Should I retake? 28 MCAT, 3.87 GPA, Great EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rollerbladdin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not entirely sure what to do.

I am an IL resident and my current list is: All the schools in illinois, UWisconsin, and Medical College of Wisconsin.

My stats are
  • 3.87gpa, 3.94sgpa
  • 28 MCAT
  • 3yr in research w/ 2 abstracts, a poster presentation and a publication as a 3rd author
  • 3yr research
  • 1yr working as a medical assistant
  • 2yr ER volunteer
  • 6 months bio tutor
  • 50+ hours shadowing
  • Currently working at UWisconsin's Medical School for the summer
  • 5 great LoR
My plan was to apply this cycle, and if I don't get an interviews by November, I would take the January MCAT and reapply next cycle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is no point applying to UChicago and Northwestern. If you live north of I-80 there is no point applying to SIU. UIC, Loyola, Rush & Rosalyn Franklin are reasonable choices. Expand to some of the other schools that are friendly to OOS applicants such as Vermont & EVMC.

You should retake the MCAT. Make an appointment asap as those January slots are going to go fast. With your gpa and MCAT is looks like a grade inflation situation or a smart student who is a poor test taker. Neither bodes well for success in med school. You need a better MCAT to prove you have the talent to do well.

OP should add CCOM to this list, along with any DO program, including mine. Also consider TCMC and Quinnipiac.

There is no point applying to UChicago and Northwestern. If you live north of I-80 there is no point applying to SIU. UIC, Loyola, Rush & Rosalyn Franklin are reasonable choices. Expand to some of the other schools that are friendly to OOS applicants such as Vermont & EVMC.

You should retake the MCAT. Make an appointment asap as those January slots are going to go fast. With your gpa and MCAT is looks like a grade inflation situation or a smart student who is a poor test taker. Neither bodes well for success in med school. You need a better MCAT to prove you have the talent to do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not entirely sure what to do.

I am an IL resident and my current list is: All the schools in illinois, UWisconsin, and Medical College of Wisconsin.

My stats are
  • 3.87gpa, 3.94sgpa
  • 28 MCAT
  • 3yr in research w/ 2 abstracts, a poster presentation and a publication as a 3rd author
  • 3yr working in a primate research lab
  • 1yr working as a medical assistant
  • 2yr ER volunteer
  • 6 months bio tutor
  • 50+ hours shadowing
  • Currently working at UWisconsin's Medical School for the summer
  • 5 great LoR
My plan was to apply this cycle, and if I don't get an interviews by November, I would take the January MCAT and reapply next cycle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

With a 28 MCAT, the geographic constraints you're placing on yourself are a death sentence. Even without them, your odds are grim but not impossible.

Prep hard, retake, and apply broadly.

Unless you live in Texas.... YES. Retake that thing and get better than 30.

Unless you live in Texas.... YES. Retake that thing and get better than 30.

WOW a LizzyM and Goro post! But yea retake the MCAT unless you are going DO or want to pray for MD. There is nothing wrong with DO though.

What was your AAMC FL average and spread? How much prep did you do? How much can you afford to prep for a retake?

My avg was 28-32; I spent last semester studying so I did have school work to focus on aswell. And I don't think money is an issue, more so time. I'm working 9-5 this summer but I could study 6-10 every day and more on the weekends then retake? Wasn't too sure if I should retake in July/August or in January.

Just wanted to give an update on this. Despite everyone telling me to retake, I applied to 26 MD schools and got 5 MD acceptances, 2 waitlists, and I even turned down an interview request. I also applied to 9 DO schools and got 3 DO acceptances, declined two interviews, and withdrew my application from the remaining DO schools.

I will be going to an MD school this fall!

Reactions: 7 users
wow that is awesome. can you name the schools that you applied and got accepted :)

Just wanted to give an update on this. Despite everyone telling me to retake, I applied to 26 MD schools and got 5 MD acceptances, 2 waitlists, and I even turned down an interview request. I also applied to 9 DO schools and got 3 DO acceptances, declined two interviews, and withdrew my application from the remaining DO schools.

I will be going to an MD school this fall!
Yeah if you could let us know where you applied and got interviews/were accepted that would be really helpful. Also what was your spread? I will be reapplying with a 28 next year….Thank you!

wow that is awesome. can you name the schools that you applied and got accepted :)
Yeah if you could let us know where you applied and got interviews/were accepted that would be really helpful. Also what was your spread? I will be reapplying with a 28 next year….Thank you!

My school list was:

George Washington - Interviewed
Quinnipiac - Interviewed
Oakland University- Interviewed
Medical College of Wisconsin- Interviewed
Madison- Interviewed
UIC- Interviewed
Rush- Interviewed

Penn State - I declined interview
Rosalind Franklin
Jefferson
Creighton
Brown
Loyola
Albany
vermont
Meharry
Northwestern
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Marshall
SIU
Uchicago
Indiana
Western Michigan
Saint Louis
New York Medical College

For DO schools, I got into LECOM (hated it!), CCOM (my favorite DO school), MSUCOM; I got an interview from Marian that I turned down and withdrew my apps from 4-5 other DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
My school list was:

Quinnipiac - Interviewed
Madison- Interviewed
UIC- Interviewed
Rush- Interviewed

Rosalind Franklin
Jefferson
Creighton
Brown
Loyola
Albany
vermont
Meharry
Northwestern
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Marshall
SIU
Uchicago
Indiana
Western Michigan
Saint Louis
New York Medical College

For DO schools, I got into LECOM (hated it!), CCOM (my favorite DO school), MSUCOM; I got an interview from Marian that I turned down and withdrew my apps from 4-5 other DO schools.
Thank you for posting this.

My school list was:

Quinnipiac - Interviewed
Madison- Interviewed
UIC- Interviewed
Rush- Interviewed

Rosalind Franklin
Jefferson
Creighton
Brown
Loyola
Albany
vermont
Meharry
Northwestern
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Marshall
SIU
Uchicago
Indiana
Western Michigan
Saint Louis
New York Medical College

Thank you!