Should I retake classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedBeauty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes many were re-takes like Chem, Physics, Bio. MD.

Should I rethink about retaking classes? It's been a several years. I did pass the courses but possibly don't mind retaking the classes. Also, I'm currently taking Pre-Calc and it's not going too well. I'm not sure if I should withdraw or stick it out. It's becoming more stressful than anything. I'm teaching myself everything and trying to catch up while sitting in class not understand what's going on. Please share more of your story. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I rethink about retaking classes? It's been a several years. I did pass the courses but possibly don't mind retaking the classes. Also, I'm currently taking Pre-Calc and it's not going too well. I'm not sure if I should withdraw or stick it out. It's becoming more stressful than anything. I'm teaching myself everything and trying to catch up while sitting in class not understand what's going on. Please share more of your story. :)

Well, I graduated HS in 2003. I went to college and was a complete failure -- 1.7 GPA first semester, failed Chem 1 Lab, D- in Gen Physics 1, and didn't get much better. I think my best grade in all of science undergrad was a B in Gen Chem 1 lecture and Gen chem 2 lab about 4 years later while studying in my home city (and my HS friend's mom was the instructor haha).

Anyway, "graduated" in 2009, worked for my uncle's company (among many other extracurriculars that interested me such as working in the non-profit fields [social/meeting friends and girls] and political realms [genuine interest]. Did that for awhile while my life was still getting worse and hit my bottom in late 2011/early 2012 whilst living in Phoenix, AZ as a software salesperson. After hitting my bottom and deciding to turn my life around, moved back home with my parents and did some serious soul-searching. After about 3 months of this search, I decided to pursue interests that purely interested me only - and this was a piano class at the local community college. After doing well in that piano class, mostly by studying hard and practicing a lot, I got an A! This gave me the confidence to think that if I worked hard maybe I could do well in other classes... In my soul-searching period, I realized that I really did want to be a physician for so many reasons - disabled sister, love the human body/interested in human physiology, stable/intellectually stimulating career, so forth, I decided to jump in with both feet. Keep in mind at this point I was a 26 year old dude with a 2.3 GPA.

So, if you've read until this point, you may see that I came to a realization: To have ANY shot at medical school, I needed to maintain perfect academics.

Therefore, given your current situation, I would recommend dropping pre-calc, and then re-taking all classes that were not As for 2 reasons 1. to prove your mettle/capability to AdCom and 2. to prepare for the MCAT.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Reactions: 1 user