Should I retake DAT for better options or just enroll into NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's strange. Since when was everyone so on board with sending some poor kid to a 500k dental school with a 400 person class size? Fluke or not, anyone should hesitate to go to nyu even if the admission offer was delivered on a silver platter (which apparently it was :whistle:
Despite the unnecessary insinuation that this kid doesn't deserve his spot, I am 100% in agreement with you that anyone should be very hesitant about attending a school of that price and size. Not trying to start a little "anonymous person on the internet" fight with you, just don't think it's necessary to work ourselves up over other people's circumstances when we're all ultimately responsible for our own successes and failures.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Please participate in the discussion. I value everyone's opinion. I truly do.
I have a hard time participating in discussions such as these because both sides are so charged. It's a passionate issue, and should be. I don't enjoy the mud slinging that comes from both sides though. I dunno, maybe I'm kind of a pacifist in that way.

As for the issue itself, I honestly consider myself to be in the center. I agree particularly with the point that was made of URMs going back to assist in URM Communities more than any other demographic. I feel like, being the average white male, I'm different in actually wanting to have that be part of my practice one day (gotta get into D-School first).

As for the argument. I think both sides will keep staying the same things over and over and few will have any real enlightenment occur as a result. The fact is, many URMs, ORMs, white people have socioeconomic disadvantages that make it difficult to make the grades and get the resources that help you succeed. Just someone's race or ethnicity should not give them an edge in admissions. The issue is not that cut and dry. I personally believe in rewarding hard work but unfortunately the only metric we have for that is GPA and DAT score. Which is sad because people should never be reduced to numbers, but in the way the current admissions system works, it must be so.

I disagree that being white automatically gives you a life made in the shade. Do I think there are still stereotypes for all races, yes, and unfortunately those are reinforced everyday by media and people's actions (i.e. you never hear about the black man who just saved a woman's life, you only hear about the one that tried to rape somebody. Meanwhile you hear loads about the white man who contributed to the red Cross and not as much about the one doing child prostitution).
I haven't lived a hard life, but nor was anything, especially college and education handed to me. I've gone into a lot of debt already because my parents won't/can't cover costs for me and will go into plenty more still. I've worked full time while going to school full time and pulled decent, but not great grades while doing so. I've gotten married and had a family while working and taking the occasional loan to cover costs. However, I don't ask for special consideration because of economic difficulties (yes difficulties) that I've had while going to school.

In the end I feel like the issue should be as others have stated, based off of socioeconomic status and not race/ethnicity. Then you would truly get a better sampling of all individuals who've struggled in the same way. I know that this method is not cut and dry either, but I feel like its a step in the better direction.

As for my opinion in general. I also hesitate to share it because we live in a country of scrutiny; no one can truly have an opinion anymore without being lambasted for stating it. An opinion is just that, an opinion. Gone are the days of "agreeing to disagree."

Hope this all made sense. If anything was unclear, happy to clarify.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I have a hard time participating in discussions such as these because both sides are so charged. It's a passionate issue, and should be. I don't enjoy the mud slinging that comes from both sides though. I dunno, maybe I'm kind of a pacifist in that way.

As for the issue itself, I honestly consider myself to be in the center. I agree particularly with the point that was made of URMs going back to assist in URM Communities more than any other demographic. I feel like, being the average white male, I'm different in actually wanting to have that be part of my practice one day (gotta get into D-School first).

As for the argument. I think both sides will keep staying the same things over and over and few will have any real enlightenment occur as a result. The fact is, many URMs, ORMs, white people have socioeconomic disadvantages that make it difficult to make the grades and get the resources that help you succeed. Just someone's race or ethnicity should not give them an edge in admissions. The issue is not that cut and dry. I personally believe in rewarding hard work but unfortunately the only metric we have for that is GPA and DAT score. Which is sad because people should never be reduced to numbers, but in the way the current admissions system works, it must be so.

I disagree that being white automatically gives you a life made in the shade. Do I think there are still stereotypes for all races, yes, and unfortunately those are reinforced everyday by media and people's actions (i.e. you never hear about the black man who just saved a woman's life, you only hear about the one that tried to rape somebody. Meanwhile you hear loads about the white man who contributed to the red Cross and not as much about the one doing child prostitution).
I haven't lived a hard life, but nor was anything, especially college and education handed to me. I've gone into a lot of debt already because my parents won't/can't cover costs for me and will go into plenty more still. I've worked full time while going to school full time and pulled decent, but not great grades while doing so. I've gotten married and had a family while working and taking the occasional loan to cover costs. However, I don't ask for special consideration because of economic difficulties (yes difficulties) that ice had while going to school.

In the end I feel like the issue should be as others have stated, based off of socioeconomic status and not race/ethnicity. Then you would truly get a better sampling of all individuals who've struggled in the same way. I know that that is not cut and dry either, but I feel like its a step in the better direction.

As for my opinion in general. I also hesitate to share it because we live in a country of scrutiny; no one can truly have an opinion anymore without being lambasted for stating it. An opinion is just that, an opinion. Gone are the days of "agreeing to disagree."

Hope this all made sense. If anything was unclear, happy to clarify.

No it makes a lot of sense actually. We all have a lot of work to do for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey nonociceptors! I hope all is well.
Thank you for your comment and question. YES!! YES!! YES!! You get it! I am with you on that. I'd point the finger at differences in values/cultures but also resources. That's important too!!! Asians/Indians do do better than Whites for sure. Some of my best friends in college were Asian. I used to refer to them as the bad boyz!! ( In a kind way of course) Their work ethic is unreal!!! They're hungry!! I met with my best friend's family who immigrated from S.Korea and it soon became evident that an A- in his eyes was just unacceptable. Also, most of his family members were professionals. Pharmacists, M.D's, bankers, dentist, you name it!! (Food for thought, most students who commit suicide at MIT are Asian. The parental pressure is real!!Perhaps too real?) Now you combine this pressure with access to resources (Look up this article. Forgot the link. "Asian american women closing salary gap with White men".) and there you go!! You have a recipe for success. Does this put the "cultural/racial bias line of thought to bed? Not at all. Why? Because Blacks definitely lack the resources and that's huge. Just look up avg. salary for Black household and you'll see what I am talking about. Does it matter? Heck yeah!! It means no SAT prep course (most likely won't do as well on SAT if the individual even graduates High School!! 1st hurdle), it means this individual might have to work their way through College(GPA most likely suffers for that reason alone. Do not forget also that the individual isn't academically well prepared to tackle College due to living in a poor neighborhood where the high school was very subpar. 2nd hurdle), If the individual can afford to pay for the DAT exam. 3rd hurdle. it means no DAT destroyer, DAT bootcamp,etc... are not even an option at this point.( DAT score takes a hit.4th hurdle) , Do you see the number of hurdles a Black person must overcome as a result of income disparities based on race? Now...culturally speaking we have a problem too. This is going to hurt some but I have to be honest. A lot of Blacks have a hard time envisioning themselves doing greatness because their family members often times discourage them to spend so many years in school. Our family members don't see the value in it because they have never experience it for themselves. This lack of support for some can be the deal breaker honestly. That's why when you see an applicant of color with a 2.9 GPA and a 17AA you should really think about everything they've had to overcome to get there. BTW, some argue that way before a student of color enters middle school, he/she is already behind compared to their white counterparts. There a various reasons for it. Racial profiling leads to more Black men in prison so the mother must work two jobs. The mother is absent so she cannot help the child with homework. The child isn't being watched and is therefore more at risk of being influenced by negative outside forces (gangs,etc...Trust me it starts early). The kid is 14 years old and its almost already too late. It is a vicious cycle and that is why I have a hard time talking about the disparity in education without addressing everything else an individual of color has to face from say age 5 to age 21. Now, I have to also say that I have two cousins who live in Milton,MA. (Extremely affluent town). Their parents make over 500k/year combined and they are well educated. My cousins went to the best schools and have never lacked of anything in life. However, these Black families are extremely rare, in fact they are almost insignificant %wise so all Blacks benefit from AA. I'd like to also point out that regardless how much money a Black man has, he still faces certain issues a white man will never have to face. I'm sure you can think of a few.
I think we might disagree on the degree to which certain factors influence the outcomes we're talking about but, for the most, I agree with what you're saying. It's too easy for people on both sides to place blame on the other group without taking personal accountability. I think that's what bugs me most about these arguments. I find that I can't agree with anyone who is so firmly planted on one side of the fence that they can't be bothered to take a peek at the other. I'm not saying that's you, of course, just a general comment.
You make a fair point, but I have to ask; did I ever claim that that statistic is entirely attributed to law enforcement? I don't think I did. Nothing is entirely attributed to one factor or the other, which is why I didn't suggest it. His assertion that minorities are criminals by using that statistic without any context is just as ridiculous as me saying that "no minority has ever committed a crime, and if they are incarcerated it's due to discriminatory law enforcement practices".

Nobody who isn't lying to themselves can look me straight in the eye and tell me there aren't discriminatory practices and attitudes in law enforcement; that's the point I was trying to make. I wasn't trying to exonerate anyone based off their race, just like I'm not trying to assign guilt to anyone based off their race. That's why it troubles me when keyboard warriors who copy and paste away statistics and take them to be the be all and end all of complex issues.
I agree. Sometimes you can't just lay down stats and claim to know everything about the issue. While I would deny that any sort of large-scale systemic racism exists, racism and individual prejudice are still around. They always will be, and anyone is capable of it. Unfortunately people tend to focus on a handful of cases that hog media coverage, latch on to them as evidence of far-reaching institutional discrimination, and propagate the victim mentality with no personal accountability or understanding of the true scope of the issue.

I agree with both sides of argument, but I think I would be less upset if I was already accepted somewhere.
Having 3.45 ish GPA with 24AA/24TS with no solid spot guaranteed yet, I would be lying if I said I am not upset about URMs getting in a little easier.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with both sides of argument, but I think I would be less upset if I was already accepted somewhere.
Having 3.45 ish GPA with 24AA/24TS with no solid spot guaranteed yet, I would be lying if I said I am not upset about URMs getting in a little easier.

Fair enough...Appreciate the honesty. How early/broadly did you apply? Have you had any interviews?

I think we might disagree on the degree to which certain factors influence the outcomes we're talking about but, for the most, I agree with what you're saying. It's too easy for people on both sides to place blame on the other group without taking personal accountability. I think that's what bugs me most about these arguments. I find that I can't agree with anyone who is so firmly planted on one side of the fence that they can't be bothered to take a peek at the other. I'm not saying that's you, of course, just a general comment.

I agree. Sometimes you can't just lay down stats and claim to know everything about the issue. While I would deny that any sort of large-scale systemic racism exists, racism and individual prejudice are still around. They always will be, and anyone is capable of it. Unfortunately people tend to focus on a handful of cases that hog media coverage, latch on to them as evidence of far-reaching institutional discrimination, and propagate the victim mentality with no personal accountability or understanding of the true scope of the issue.
I agree with most but not all of this. I think you and I agree on the fact that people are ultimately accountable for their own actions and their consequences, and that statistics are nuanced and don't tell the whole picture. And that's what really matters. I also agree that the media, at least cable news networks of both political biases, fail to deliver actual news.

I appreciate you not descending into the savagery regularly seen on SPF forums. I've seen you there. Nutmeg, VA hopeful, sb247, 7starmantis, and jdh71 would be so ashamed of us if they could see how tame we're being I have no words for Dave89 other than he's the poster child for why the 1st amendment is a double edged sword lol

Edit: can't forget about Mad Jack or MOHS_01 how rude of me

Out of all of the schools you applied to, do you think there were Non-URMs that were accepted with lower stats than yours?

the AAMC used the term "underrepresented minority (URM)," which consisted of Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans (that is, American Indians, Alaska Natives, and Native Hawaiians), and mainland Puerto Ricans. The AAMC remains committed to ensuring access to medical education and medicine-related careers for individuals from these four historically underrepresented racial/ethnic groups.
Thank you!

Fair enough...Appreciate the honesty. How early/broadly did you apply? Have you had any interviews?

applied early, but GPA verification took a while, so it was ready around September, which I think isn't super late, even though it's not early either.
I had interviews at UDM, NOVA and midwestern so far and have NYU/LECOME interview coming up.

Keeping my fingers crossed for midwestern to call me. Just recently had the interview.

I appreciate you not descending into the savagery regularly seen on SPF forums. I've seen you there. Nutmeg, VA hopeful, sb247, 7starmantis, and jdh71 would be so ashamed of us if they could see how tame we're being I have no words for Dave89 other than he's the poster child for why the 1st amendment is a double edged sword lol

Edit: can't forget about Mad Jack or MOHS_01 how rude of me

Man you aren't holding back tonight xD. BRB, going to go check out the SPF forums.

Out of all of the schools you applied to, do you think there were Non-URMs that were accepted with lower stats than yours?

that's a good argument. But you also have to agree that with stats that some URM's get in with, non-URM's would only rarely get accepted or get invited to interviews.

that's a good argument. But you also have to agree that with stats that some URM's get in with, non-URM's would only rarely get accepted or get invited to interviews.
Agreed. Honestly I think the admissions process is pretty unfair when it comes to this.

Members don't see this ad :)
comment-reply-012-im-just-here-to-read-the-comments-michael-jackson.jpg

applied early, but GPA verification took a while, so it was ready around September, which I think isn't super late, even though it's not early either.
I had interviews at UDM, NOVA and midwestern so far and have NYU/LECOME interview coming up.

Keeping my fingers crossed for midwestern to call me. Just recently had the interview.

WOW!! You've been blessed with interviews. Something will come through. Get on your knees.

I'm not really happy with either character. I voted for a new Metroid character (Sylux). I agree there are way too many fire emblem characters and duplicates.
I think there are way too many pokemon too (Although I really miss Squirtle:().
true. Have you been able to play online? Its flooded with bayonettas and corrins.

By far the most disrespect I've ever seen on this forum. I can't even believe some of you. No wonder he made it and you didn't. Adcoms could probably tell where your heart was at the minute you opened you mouth. I don't care if he got a 5 on the DAT and had a 1.7 gpa. Everyone gets a congrats from me no matter what. URM status only takes you so far so if he got in, it was for a reason. Stop being jealous hearted. You will never be happy in life being envious and jealous hearted.

Reactions: 9 users
I appreciate all the replies. I will be attending NYU Dental this fall, trying my best to achieve success.
I am Haitian too, good luck, I wish you success, never mind the negative comments that you hear from people. And make sure you give back to the people around you. Count your blessings my friend

I am Haitian too, good luck, I wish you success, never mind the negative comments that you hear from people. And make sure you give back to the people around you. Count your blessings my friend

Thanks. I wish you luck as well. I think it is best if we learn from our mistakes and grow to help and inspire others that are feeling lost.

You'll get into NYU. People drop their acceptances like crazy.

I had four leaves of absences and it took me 9 years to graduate from my undergrad curriculum. I explained the situation in my admissions essay and interview and was accepted to NYU Dental and another interview offer to Howard. The committee is very understanding when it comes to personal and family situations.

we can stop saying "he doesn't deserve to get in" now. It is obvious that he's been through a lot and he truly deserves his admission to NYU.
remember to never judge a person without knowing what they've been through. Good job OP :)

wow a 17 AA and a 2.6 gpa.... well congrats

One thing I will point out is- I've heard that if you turn down an acceptance, it looks very bad when you apply again next cycle (there was a thread here on SDN about this same thing a little while ago...see if you can find it).

Do you remember the reasoning behind why turning down an acceptance looks very bad? I am curious because I am planning to interview and see how I like a certain school pretty soon.

Do you remember the reasoning behind why turning down an acceptance looks very bad? I am curious because I am planning to interview and see how I like a certain school pretty soon.

Shows "lack of commitment to the profession" is what I read

Shows "lack of commitment to the profession" is what I read

Shows you want to get into a certain school, not dentistry as a field. Of course there may be other circumstances, but the message adcoms see is that you don't want it hard enough for them to invest a seat in you.

@pgex2t hit the nail on the head and this is almost verbatim what I was told by a faculty member at a school when I asked that very question

I just created an account because these ignorant comments made me so angry. I'd like to hope my future colleagues do not stand behind many of the comments made on here. For those who do not understand that systemic racism is alive and well in this country, and actually believe that "reverse racism" exists, I highly suggest reading The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. And by the way, I'm a white female (and fully aware of the privileges that come with that). I hope you enjoy reading the book.

I just created an account because these ignorant comments made me so angry. I'd like to hope my future colleagues do not stand behind many of the comments made on here. For those who do not understand that systemic racism is alive and well in this country, and actually believe that "reverse racism" exists, I highly suggest reading The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. And by the way, I'm a white female (and fully aware of the privileges that come with that). I hope you enjoy reading the book.
Ok racism is bad. We get it.:rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 users
I appreciate the overwhelming support. I heard back from Howard and was offered an interview which will take place this month. If you have not been getting offers, I encourage staying patient and persistent. Others have applied 4-5 cycles before getting in, so please do not be discouraged! Keep showing dental schools you are committed. You will get in with the right attitude and a positive mindset.

just wondering if you were accepted at Howard as well?

This thread really makes me angry. A 2.6 gpa and 17 AA and he got into NYU because he's black. That's a double slap in the face of every non URM applicants, just lmao. I'm holding back my thoughts because I know I'd get banned for not being 'PC'.

This thread really makes me angry. A 2.6 gpa and 17 AA and he got into NYU because he's black. That's a double slap in the face of every non URM applicants, just lmao. I'm holding back my thoughts because I know I'd get banned for not being 'PC'.

or may be you didnt grow up in streets that drug dealing and violence occur and grow up in houses that have domestic violence where ur mother is hurt badly once in a whlie.

or may be you didn't go to high school where 50% of all boys end up in prison and the other 30% drop out that leaves 20% to graduate

"Waah! A black guy got into dental school.:drowning: "
"Waah! I don't wanna be PC!:rage:"
Go whine about something else.
or may be you didnt grow up in streets that drug dealing and violence occur and grow up in houses that have domestic violence where ur mother is hurt badly once in a whlie.

or may be you didn't go to high school where 50% of all boys end up in prison and the other 30% drop out that leaves 20% to graduate

I'm black and I didn't grow up like this at all. I live in a very nice area and my parents currently make a good living. None of my black friends or family members have ever been to prison. The only person I can think of that has been to prison is white. I think its ridiculous to say every black applicant has drug and violence filled background, its simply not true.

The admissions process is unfair. Can we drop this topic now?

Reactions: 5 users

I actually grew up in an area surrounded by neighborhoods you just described. The only difference with my family experiencing early financial struggles is that our hardships are ignored in admissions to both undergrad and grad schools because we are ORM (I am indian btw).

But "oh yeah, black people have the hardest lives in america (debatable), gotta give them preference cuz ya know, who cares about the other minorities!"
MURICA!

I actually grew up in an area surrounded by neighborhoods you just described. The only difference with my family experiencing early financial struggles is that our hardships are ignored in admissions to both undergrad and grad schools because we are ORM (I am indian btw).

But "oh yeah, black people have the hardest lives in america (debatable), gotta give them preference cuz ya know, who cares about the other minorities!"
MURICA!
There is a section on AADSAS to describe any disadvantages you may have had. You have no idea OP's life experiences, just as I have no idea about yours, aside from what you just wrote. Schools may lean towards URMs because they are more likely to go back to their underserved communities and provide the dental care that ORMs tend to not provide. If you utilized the disadvantaged section and your personal statement well, and you came across as wanting to provide care for those who need it (such as those with financial struggles), maybe you would have had more success in your cycle instead of whining about being PC.
Schools admit you hoping you have it in you to complete all 4 years of dental school and become a competent dentist. You are their investment. If you're mad that a school accepted a URM instead of you (and how would you even know it's instead of you) maybe they just seemed more determined or likely to finish school successfully or fit better with the school's misson.

Being a black man/female or any URM in America comes with many stereotypes and racism. You guys need to understand that you will never understand. This is why he got in because ADCOMS acknowledge this. I'm sick of seeing and hearing stuff like this when I talk to other pre-dents/pre-meds. If you are a good enough student you will get it. The amount of seats URM take up at dental schools is probably 2-3. You wouldn't of gotten them anyways because there is 100+ ORM just like you that would be ahead or as equal as you. That is why it is called over represented. Plain and simple.

Being a black man/female or any URM in America comes with many stereotypes and racism. You guys need to understand that you will never understand. This is why he got in because ADCOMS acknowledge this. I'm sick of seeing and hearing stuff like this when I talk to other pre-dents/pre-meds. If you are a good enough student you will get it. The amount of seats URM take up at dental schools is probably 2-3. You wouldn't of gotten them anyways because there is 100+ ORM just like you that would be ahead or as equal as you. That is why it is called over represented. Plain and simple.

It is true that probably only 3 or 4 students are URM in most dental schools. What I don't understand is, why is it so hard to find a URM with strong stats anyway?
surely there must be enough applicants out there that identify themselves as URM to fill up the 3 spots per school, why is it that every URM admitted applicant always
have such low stats? its not even a lot of spots so there shouldn't be any problem finding disadvantaged applicants with competitive numbers.

Last edited:
Well, after seeing this guy post in other threads, its not fair to judge him based on his stats. He's been in school a while and he also had a lot of family issues. The point is we don't know his whole story, there can be a whole other side besides just URM that he conveyed in his application and his interview. I mean look at his SDN status, it says medical student too! Congrats to you op and good luck in school!

It is true that probably only 3 or 4 students are URM in most dental schools. What I don't understand is, why is it so hard to find a URM with strong stats anyway?
surely there must be enough applicants out there that identify themselves as URM to fill up the 3 spots per school, why is it that every URM admitted applicant always
have such low stats? its not even a lot of spots so there shouldn't be any problem finding disadvantaged applicants with competitive numbers.
The number of URM applicants is very low. That's why they're URM.
Look at table 5 to compare the numbers. Assuming people are applying to multiple schools, the numbers are very small.

Attachments

• SDE1_2014-15_final.xlsx
    407.9 KB · Views: 55
you really think every single accepted URM applicant has low stats?? wow. Again, did we discuss how stats aren't everything? You think these URM applicants simply have low stats and nothing more to offer? Those are the ones who likely do not get accepted. We don't know what their personal statements said. We don't know what their LoRs said. We don't know exactly their disadvantages. We don't know their ECs. We don't know how much they worked. There is so much we don't know. I hope you would agree schools carefully consider every applicant they accept.
Additionally, I'm sure some disadvantaged ORMs got in with low stats too. I don't really see anyone complaining about that

My best friend and classmate next year with a 3.8 and 22 TS would love to meet you someday to prove you wrong

There is a section on AADSAS to describe any disadvantages you may have had. You have no idea OP's life experiences, just as I have no idea about yours, aside from what you just wrote. Schools may lean towards URMs because they are more likely to go back to their underserved communities and provide the dental care that ORMs tend to not provide. If you utilized the disadvantaged section and your personal statement well, and you came across as wanting to provide care for those who need it (such as those with financial struggles), maybe you would have had more success in your cycle instead of whining about being PC.
Schools admit you hoping you have it in you to complete all 4 years of dental school and become a competent dentist. You are their investment. If you're mad that a school accepted a URM instead of you (and how would you even know it's instead of you) maybe they just seemed more determined or likely to finish school successfully or fit better with the school's misson.

Oh yeah? where did you come up with the amazing revelation that URMs have these angelic altruistic qualities that we petty ORMs don't? This is a pretty gross overgeneralization in itself because there is really no possible way to assess the socioeconomic demographic of EVERY patient that dentist's treat. Sure you can look at the neighborhoods they work in, but setting up a practice in a low to middle class area doesn't equate to 'serving the rich', and ORMs work in these locations as well.

And yup you really hit the nail on the head with your last point. He was black, his ancestors were enslaved wrongfully by people totally not related to me in anyway, and his amazing 2.6 gpa is head and shoulders above my pathetic 3.6. How did I even dare to question his abilities? In fact I might as well withdraw my applications and acceptance. I'm clearly not cut out for it

I'm black and I didn't grow up like this at all. I live in a very nice area and my parents currently make a good living. None of my black friends or family members have ever been to prison. The only person I can think of that has been to prison is white. I think its ridiculous to say every black applicant has drug and violence filled background, its simply not true.

you go ganondorf!

Oh yeah? where did you come up with the amazing revelation that URMs have these angelic altruistic qualities that we petty ORMs don't? This is a pretty gross overgeneralization in itself because there is really no possible way to assess the socioeconomic demographic of EVERY patient that dentist's treat. Sure you can look at the neighborhoods they work in, but setting up a practice in a low to middle class area doesn't equate to 'serving the rich', and ORMs work in these locations as well.

And yup you really hit the nail on the head with your last point. He was black, his ancestors were enslaved wrongfully by people totally not related to me in anyway, and his amazing 2.6 gpa is head and shoulders above my pathetic 3.6. How did I even dare to question his abilities? In fact I might as well withdraw my applications and acceptance. I'm clearly not cut out for it

Edit: instead of ranting back, I'll just leave you with this article for perspective. It doesn't matter either of our opinions about whether or not schools should be more lenient towards URMs, but this is why there are:
https://www.aamc.org/download/87306/data/physiciandiversityfacts.pdf

Last edited:

the guy in ur profile pic looks so handsome though. if that was you, ull have no problem competing for patients :)

you are the privileged URM but still an URM. enjoy the benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.