Should I retake for the 3rd time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thethinker92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so as you can guess, I have a pretty serious problem. I received my second MCAT score today, and it was worse than my first.

8/2014 MCAT: 09/11/10 - cumulative 30 (PS/VR/BS)
1/2015 MCAT: 08/10/09, exactly one point less on each section.

I'm not really sure why this happened, other than that I had a pretty bad test center experience the second time around (different than my first). My AAMC average for the second time around was like 33-34.

I'm pretty embarrassed about my predicament, but I want to know whether it would be worth retaking the exam (the 2015 version)? Additionally, do I need to report my scores from the old version of the test if I take the new version (prob, right?)

Some pro's are that the new version has a more extensive verbal section, and it is a stronger area for me. However, there are notable con's. I am working full-time (with particularly long commute time ~3.5 hrs round trip), and probably because of this, I'm burnt out. Additionally, I'm currently experiencing feelings of apathy/depression (actually, I have been for a while, but these feelings have been exacerbated by constant work/study and living in a new city with no social support whatsoever). I don't want to come off as complaining about my situation, but I want to get some input regarding my prospects of MD admission. I am not interested in DO. (disclaimer: I don't mean to suggest that DO is sub-MD; there are just some philosophical differences between the two, I think, and I lean more toward MD).

I get the feeling that my prospects are dim; therefore, I am leaning on retaking the exam. But are there alternatives? Is this really bad (i.e. is the score drop even redeemable?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why did you retake? Is your GPA below average? I think if your GPA is 3.6+ you can get in if you apply early and abroad. The drop isn't steep and you can probably explain the testing center problems you have in the Primary/Secondary/Interview process?

Reactions: 1 user
I retook because my GPA is 3.6 (slightly below average). And I didn't want to apply too broadly (lower and middle tier schools) because it would be too heavy of a financial investment, and I wanted to be sure I can at least make it to my state school (the average GPA of its acceptees being 32).