Should I retake general chemistry or move on to orgo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tacostastegood44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my bachelors in chemical engineering in 2015, and worked on it from 2010-2015 with a 3.23 sGPA. I have recently decided to do a second bachelors in Biology to raise my sGPA and show a new student. I am starting out as a part-time student as I still need to work full-time for 2 more years, so I anticipate being in school for 4 more years in total (taking 90 credits total). I want to use this time to show myself as a new student, capable of more than my first time around in college.

I was thinking I should retake general chemistry and orgo. I took general chemistry 1 and 2 and got a A- and a B+ from 5 years ago. This will be 8-9 years old by the time I apply to med school. I took orgo 1 and got a D+ the first time and in summer orgo 1 I got an A-. I took orgo 2 only once (during the summer) and got a B. Is it worth it to retake these 4 classes? Or will adcoms frown upon me retaking classes I didn't do terrible in (I did do terrible in orgo the first time but redeemed myself the second time)?

I was also wondering whether it was worth retaking general physics. I took engineering physics and got a B+ and a B. Physics 1 is from 2010 and Physics 2 is from 2015, so one of them is old and one is new.

I was thinking of taking Chem 1 and A&P 1 (never taken) this fall. Then I would take Chem 2 and A&P 2 in the spring. Then next year I would take Orgo 1, Orgo 2, Physics 1, and Physics 2.

Members don't see this ad.

I would retake any C,D, or F. I wouldn't worry about retaking A's or B's. Just my $0.02. Also MD doesn't honor grade replacement so realize at some point no matter how many extra classes you take, your GPA will max out (right now it would take me 20+ credits to move my GPA 0.1 because I have so many credits).

It might be a good idea to consider a post bach degree rather than another Bach Degree.... Let's see what other more seasoned SDNers have to say...

I'd say go for the second bachelor if you want a second bachelor's degree. However, if you're just doing it to show you've changed as a student and can handle the coursework, then I believe that there are better/quicker alternatives out there for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
C's are questionable to retake and should be looked at for each applicants; I generally dont recommend it

The OP does need to retake Orgo I but I also dont think he/she needs a second bachelor

So I don't need to bother retaking general chemistry but I should retake orgo? What about physics?

So I don't need to bother retaking general chemistry but I should retake orgo? What about physics?

Do not retake any of those classes. Take upper level science classes that you can do well in to raise your gpa

I wouldn't retake them, no point in risking it. Take other science classes to fill out your sGPA

I got my bachelors in chemical engineering in 2015, and worked on it from 2010-2015 with a 3.23 sGPA. I have recently decided to do a second bachelors in Biology to raise my sGPA and show a new student. I am starting out as a part-time student as I still need to work full-time for 2 more years, so I anticipate being in school for 4 more years in total (taking 90 credits total). I want to use this time to show myself as a new student, capable of more than my first time around in college.

I was thinking I should retake general chemistry and orgo. I took general chemistry 1 and 2 and got a A- and a B+ from 5 years ago. This will be 8-9 years old by the time I apply to med school. I took orgo 1 and got a D+ the first time and in summer orgo 1 I got an A-. I took orgo 2 only once (during the summer) and got a B. Is it worth it to retake these 4 classes? Or will adcoms frown upon me retaking classes I didn't do terrible in (I did do terrible in orgo the first time but redeemed myself the second time)?

I was also wondering whether it was worth retaking general physics. I took engineering physics and got a B+ and a B. Physics 1 is from 2010 and Physics 2 is from 2015, so one of them is old and one is new.

I was thinking of taking Chem 1 and A&P 1 (never taken) this fall. Then I would take Chem 2 and A&P 2 in the spring. Then next year I would take Orgo 1, Orgo 2, Physics 1, and Physics 2.

Honestly you are going to be wasting a lot of time retaking classes for no real benefit..especially one that you already retook before. You're going to be working your ass off for A's in weeder courses that you already did decent in... A 3.23 sGPA in chemical engineering isn't even that bad. You don't even need a second bachelors in biology. Just enroll in a postbacc without about ~40 units and take biology and all the associated upper division bio classes (microbio, cell and developmental bio, immunology, virology, biochem, physiology) etc there's a ton of possible classes that you can demonstrate your abilities in.

Ace the above classes I mentioned, instead of wasting your time retaking B+'s and A's in low level freshman courses...