Should I retake MCAT? (Barry U)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimmyTurner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying only to Barry U. I'm a newlywed, and my wife has a ton of opportunities in Miami that she wouldn't have elsewhere.

GPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.19
MCAT: 21

When I got the score, I was disappointed. I wanted to retake, but I was offered a job as a physics teacher at a local private high school. I had to start preparations for the school year, and thought it unwise to take the test if I didn't feel I could adequately prepare. So, I left it alone and thought I'd revisit in the summer.
Now, as the summer approaches, I'm wondering- should I retake the new MCAT this summer before the application cycle? Is my teaching experience enough to counteract the less than spectacular score?
It's the new MCAT and I never took biochem. I don't want to do it, but if I need to... my thought is if I don't re-take, I don't want to be in a position during an interview to answer why I didn't retake. I'm certainly not happy or proud of the score (my best FL practice tests were 26-29), so if I keep the score I'm not sure how to sell it either.

Thanks all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, if you want to go to Barry, I think you'd be fine if you applied really early during the cycle. Like August or September early. Your cGPA is high enough and sGPA is decent too. You most likely wouldn't have a chance with that score at places like AZPOD and DMU since their averages are much higher, but bigger schools might be more forgiving.

Reactions: 1 users
Your GPA is solid, you'll be fine. Might not get the most scholarship money but i wouldn't bother retaking

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll apply the day the cycle opens. It's a risk but, I'd rather spend my summer on other worthwhile activities rather than preparing for another MCAT exam. Thanks much!

Just a thought: It may be worthwhile to work your desire to attend Barry into your personal statement in order to accentuate your interest. That is, if you are absolutely certain you'll only be applying to the one school, as you can't edit the statement after submitting. It could serve as an unofficial letter of intent.

Another idea would be to contact the admissions office this cycle and ask for advice to strengthen your application for their program. A little name recognition never hurts and they can direct you to any weak points in your application from their perspective. That would give you a better idea of your chances at Barry and provide some insight regarding what matters most to them. Your contact there would be Amy Major ([email protected]).