Should I retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, would appreciate any advice on whether or not I should retake mcat. Applied this cycle to only MD, chances not looking too good. Applied to 10 schools. Anticipate reapplying MD and applying DO early this June. Have taken the MCAT twice. June 2013- (10P, 6V, 9B) and August 2013- (10P-9V,9V).

Applied with: cGPA 3.53 sGPA 3.40. might worthwhile to list the trend starting from freshmen year:

3.35 --> 2.4 (i know, awful -_-) --> 3.85 --> 3.78 --> 3.83 --> 3.94 (i'm hoping the upward trend will compensate for the horrific freshman year) Also, last semester I had a 4.0, and anticipate a 4.0 this semester too, which would bring my cGPA to roughly 3.65 and sGPA 3.5.

Homestate: New York

Research:
-4 semesters, 500+ hours. Researching effects of alcohol on early development
-worked full-time past summer as lab technician in same lab

E.C.

-EMT-Basic at university ambulance agency (300+ hours)
-Youth leader at church, led several out of country mission's trips (over 3 years)
-volunteer at community free clinic
-shadowing: 60 hours
-teacher's assistant (Orgo 1 & 2 and Cell Bio)

Work

-pharmacy technician at retail pharmacy (over 4 years)
Anticipate doing Americorps at a free community clinic during year off.

What do I do?? I feel that my stats are fine for DO, but what about MD? With no MCAT retake, my application would be improved with a higher GPA and a year of clinical experience. I'm having a hard time motivating myself to study for the MCAT again, especially with the risk of doing worse. However, if it's recommended by most, I think I can take one last crack at it.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently you are competitive for DO schools, however if you want to be competitive for MD schools you should take the MCAT again and complete a post bac program. Your EC's, and research are really strong, but these are secondary factors during the admissions process. -Admissionstomedicine

Concur that DO route will be easiest. I suggest NOT retaking MCAT unless you're scoring well above 30 on diagnostics.

Currently you are competitive for DO schools, however if you want to be competitive for MD schools you should take the MCAT again and complete a post bac program. Your EC's, and research are really strong, but these are secondary factors during the admissions process. -Admissionstomedicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply again early and broadly to both MD and DO schools this June. Make sure you have someone look over your essays and mock interview you. I wouldn't suggest another retake. You've already got two scores in the mid twenties; unless something has drastically changed, your odds of suddenly breaking out into the mid-30s on a third test are low. And for sure don't do a postbac with a 3.65 overall GPA. You've basically already done a postbac for the past two years in terms of getting near perfect grades in your upper level classes. With some strategic school choices and a polished app, you should be reasonably competitive to get into med school this year.

Like the above members have said, if you want MD you need a better MCAT, but if you take a 3rd time and can't get a 31+ then that would be the nail in the coffin for MD.