Should I retake or send in my secondaries?

• Thread starter KlondikeDelight
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

KlondikeDelight

Hi everyone,

So here is a little bit about me: I'm an Asian (Chinese) female from a school ranked within the top 35.

So I just received my MCAT score. It's a 30 (10/10/10). That was my first attempt and it falls in line with my aamc exams. My overall gpa is 3.75 and my BPCM is a 3.63.

My primary is verified and I can send it in right away and then work on secondaries. I've graduated so I have time. The thing is should I even bother with secondaries this cycle or am I too late? Should I wait until next cycle? If I do wait until next cycle should I retake my MCAT in January (I'm already registered for it).

I actually really want to be in Los Angeles as that is where all my family is and my grand-uncle is very sick and may not be alive for the next few years and so I'd like to spend time with him. From MSAR I know that my MCAT is low for both USC and UCLA so should I retake if these are the schools that I want to go to? I know that a 45 MCAT score doesn't guarantee admissions anywhere but maybe I can bump it up to a 33 or higher?

BTW I am not considered a CA resident because of where I went for undergrad.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You're pretty late for this cycle. You really shouldn't retake the exam if you got around your aamc practice exams. Also, your residency is based on your parent's state if you're still a dependent.

I would wait for next cycle b/c you're pretty late, but don't retake the exam if you average a 30 b/c if you go down, it will hurt you.

You're late for this cycle but if your primary is already verified and transmitted to schools, you will be considered a re-applicant at any of the schools that you sent your primary to, so there's really no reason not to send in secondaries to those schools, at least in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're pretty late for this cycle. You really shouldn't retake the exam if you got around your aamc practice exams. Also, your residency is based on your parent's state if you're still a dependent.

I would wait for next cycle b/c you're pretty late, but don't retake the exam if you average a 30 b/c if you go down, it will hurt you.

What if I study harder and more efficiently? I didn't feel like I maxed out my studying when I took the test!

And I'm not a dependent of my parents :(

You're late for this cycle but if your primary is already verified and transmitted to schools, you will be considered a re-applicant at any of the schools that you sent your primary to, so there's really no reason not to send in secondaries to those schools, at least in my opinion.

I have only sent my primary to one school. So am I considered a reapplicant to all of the schools?

Your stats are average and it's very late in the cycle. You probably wouldn't be complete at most places until the middle of October at least. Your best bet would be to keep the MCAT (why would you wanna deal with that again? lol), beef up your extracurrics, and apply the first day the application opens next year.

That was my first attempt and it falls in line with my aamc exams....

...but maybe I can bump it up to a 33 or higher?

Not to be mean or anything but what makes you think you are going to be able to pick up 3+ points when your actual score falls in line with your practice exams. The people who should retake are the ones who are getting 33+ on the aamc exams then get a 30 on the actual one

A balanced 30 is a really solid score, and coupled with your GPA, you're pretty much an average medical school matriculant. You will definitely have to apply to outside of California schools. Invest in the MSAR, pick some schools, and apply as early as you can next cycle. Take the gap year to work, make some $$, spend time with your family, continue working on your personal statement maybs, beef up those ECs and meaningful volunteering hours, and you'll have much much more success next cycle than applying now. I know for at least 2 of my state schools, only 1/3 of interview seats remain, and it's only October. You will definitely be at a disadvantage, and you only want to do this process once. You will be only considered a reapplicant at the one school that you sent your primary to (smart move by the way!).

Good luck OP! and congrats on hitting your average.

do not retake with a 30 when you were scoring 30 +- 2

that is silly. extraordinarily silly.

are you URM? you may want to consider applying next cycle since it's quite late for the MD cycle.
if you got a part or full-time job, preferably in healthcare or research (just because it'd be two birds with one stone), volunteered, and did more shadowing over the next 8 months and submitted day 1 of the 2015-2016 cycle to 10+ schools (you probably don't even need that many if you apply appropriately) you would be hard pressed to not get II from 5+ schools.

What if I study harder and more efficiently? I didn't feel like I maxed out my studying when I took the test!

And I'm not a dependent of my parents :(

If you can get 3-4 points higher on practice exams, then it might be worth it, but you need to score 3+ higher on a retake or schools will just think that it's just standard variability as the MCAT has a +-2 point range.

I would wait until the next cycle and apply. It's really up to you if you want to spend 3 months studying for the MCAT again.

if you retake and do worse (as in 2+ points lower) due to ANY reason (look up MCAT horror stories).. they will assume that is your true score and the first is a fluke. most schools will likely not give you the benefit of doubt.

i do not think retaking a balanced 30 MCAT would ever be excusable unless you were regularly scoring 35+ on full length, timed, correct environment AAMC tests.

I actually really want to be in Los Angeles as that is where all my family is and my grand-uncle is very sick and may not be alive for the next few years and so I'd like to spend time with him. From MSAR I know that my MCAT is low for both USC and UCLA so should I retake if these are the schools that I want to go to?
There are many hundreds of applicants to USC and UCLA with 35+ MCAT scores who are not even invited for an interview! If location is paramount, Western is not far away.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all so much!

So I really do want to try and apply this cycle. Is it a death sentence if I send in all my primaries tmrw and then right secondary's as soon as I get them (I am verified already so I won't have to wait for verification). I'm only applying to 5 reach schools and the rest of them I fall in line with their GPA/MCAT scores so I'm being cautious.

Also, if I do apply this cycle and not get in anywhere will I have a disadvantage as a reapplicant? Do any medical schools hate reapplicants? I'll keep improving my resume and I definitely will retake the MCAT but yeah I am just curious.

Thank you all so much!

So I really do want to try and apply this cycle. Is it a death sentence if I send in all my primaries tmrw and then right secondary's as soon as I get them (I am verified already so I won't have to wait for verification). I'm only applying to 5 reach schools and the rest of them I fall in line with their GPA/MCAT scores so I'm being cautious.

Also, if I do apply this cycle and not get in anywhere will I have a disadvantage as a reapplicant? Do any medical schools hate reapplicants? I'll keep improving my resume and I definitely will retake the MCAT but yeah I am just curious.
We are down to the last 15% of interview slots.
You may still have a shot at well chosen OOS schools.
Re-applicants are at a significant disadvantage at most schools. It has nothing to do with hate. It has to do with judgement and screening.

We are down to the last 15% of interview slots.
You may still have a shot at well chosen OOS schools.
Re-applicants are at a significant disadvantage at most schools. It has nothing to do with hate. It has to do with judgement and screening.

Wow that is scary! What do you think I should do? Wait on my application till next year or apply now? If I wait I will most likely retake the MCAT in January and I would volunteer, work, and possible go abroad to beef up my resume.

Wow that is scary! What do you think I should do? Wait on my application till next year or apply now? If I wait I will most likely retake the MCAT in January and I would volunteer, work, and possible go abroad to beef up my resume.
You are still fine for DO. I would wait until next cycle (even if you don't re-take the MCAT) if you haven't already sent in primaries for MD.

You are still fine for DO. I would wait until next cycle (even if you don't re-take the MCAT) if you haven't already sent in primaries for MD.

I've only sent in my primary to one school. I will only be a re-applicant at that school correct? Also, I was not planning on applying to any DO schools. Do you think that I am not an eligible candidate for MD schools and that I should apply strictly DO?

I've only sent in my primary to one school. I will only be a re-applicant at that school correct? Also, I was not planning on applying to any DO schools. Do you think that I am not an eligible candidate for MD schools and that I should apply strictly DO?
You will only a re-applicant to one school if you do not continue this cycle. You are a fair to good candidate to many MD schools with an early application. You are a very good DO candidate even this late for the current cycle.

You will only a re-applicant to one school if you do not continue this cycle. You are a fair to good candidate to many MD schools with an early application. You are a very good DO candidate even this late for the current cycle.

Awesome okay last questions for you: is old age a negative for any MD or DO medical schools? I was born in 1991 and I graduated this past May (I am 23 years old). So if I wait until next cycle by the time I am in medical school I'll be 25 (that is if I get accepted next cycle). Is that too old?

Also, will the new MCAT cause me to be at a disadvantage for next year's cycle?

Finally, do you have any recommendations for what I should do from now until I (hopefully) start medical school 2 years from now?

Awesome okay last questions for you: is old age a negative for any MD or DO medical schools? I was born in 1991 and I graduated this past May (I am 23 years old). So if I wait until next cycle by the time I am in medical school I'll be 25 (that is if I get accepted next cycle). Is that too old?

Finally, do you have any recommendations for what I should do from now until I (hopefully) start medical school 2 years from now?

Too old? I'm 32. I have a friend who just started residency, she was 43 when she started medical school.

Oh you kids...25 old???

No

My all time oldest student was 53, I just graduated one at 50, and some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s.

The new MCAT will not cause you to be at a disadvantage and it won't be written in Korean...it's just a slight different exam.

Because your GPAs and MCAT score are average, get in some ECs that are above average. Think swervice to others who are less well off than you are.

And get comfortable with the idea that you will most likely have to leave CA to go to an MD school.

Everyone has an opinion...mine is this: your stats are good enough, don't waste a year of your life, apply right now. This instant. Don't wait another second. But as a Californian you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you have your heart set on a California school. When you look at the data for UCSD pre-meds, the greatest number go to UCSD med school. But the next most common school for them after that is.....drum roll please.....Western University osteopathic school. At this late date I'd apply to at least thirty all together with a mix of MD and DO.

Oh you kids...25 old???

No

My all time oldest student was 53, I just graduated one at 50, and some of my all time best students have been in their 30s and 40s.

The new MCAT will not cause you to be at a disadvantage and it won't be written in Korean...it's just a slight different exam.

Because your GPAs and MCAT score are average, get in some ECs that are above average. Think swervice to others who are less well off than you are.

And get comfortable with the idea that you will most likely have to leave CA to go to an MD school.

Awesome! Thank you so much! I just wanted to ask you this Goro:

Without the consideration of money is there any negatives to applying this year knowing that I may not get in somewhere and then having to reapply next year to schools. Will there be a stigma against my application because I am a reapplicant? BTW I am already verified all I would have to do is send my primary to schools and I would be able to do that super fast!

Thanks!

Awesome! Thank you so much! I just wanted to ask you this Goro:

Without the consideration of money is there any negatives to applying this year knowing that I may not get in somewhere and then having to reapply next year to schools. Will there be a stigma against my application because I am a reapplicant? BTW I am already verified all I would have to do is send my primary to schools and I would be able to do that super fast!

Thanks!
Re applicants are pre-screened, not in a good way.
The best chance of success is a strong first applicaiton.

Can you expand on prescreened?

I just got off the phone with one of my friends at a med school and he told me that his med school likes reapplicants.

Also what if I reapply with a (hopefully) higher MCAT score (at least 3 points higher)? Wouldn't my application be significantly different based upon that alone?

I will also be volunteering, working, and I may get an mph but yeah I value your opinion!

Can you expand on prescreened?

I just got off the phone with one of my friends at a med school and he told me that his med school likes reapplicants.

Also what if I reapply with a (hopefully) higher MCAT score (at least 3 points higher)? Wouldn't my application be significantly different based upon that alone?

I will also be volunteering, working, and I may get an mph but yeah I value your opinion!
An applicant who has received no acceptances can only have so many reasons for the lack of success.
1. Poor self assessment : overestimated personal qualities, hubris.
2. Lack of research into the process: didn't match school list to personal strengths/magical thinking.
3. Very bad timing (bad research/high risk taking behavior).
4. Weak interview skills/lack of communication or interpersonal skills.

None of these will improve with a few more MCAT points.
That's why a targeted strategy for the first application is so important.
No school is going to say that they view re-applicants as damaged goods (even though they do). This doesn't mean you have no chance on the second application. It does mean that a dramatic change in strategy is indicated and this situation should be avoided. I do suspect that less competitive schools may target higher stat re-applicants though I don't have evidence to confirm this.

Last edited by a moderator:
An applicant who has received no acceptances can only have so many reasons for the lack of success.
1. Poor self assessment : overestimated personal qualities, hubris.
2. Lack of research: didn't match school list to personal strengths.
3. Very bad timing (bad research/high risk taking behavior).
4. Weak interview skills/lack of communication or interpersonal skills.

None of these will improve with a few more MCAT points.
That's why a targeted strategy for the first application is so important.
No school is going to say that they view re-applicants as damaged goods (even though they do). This doesn't mean you have no chance on the second application. It does mean that a dramatic change in strategy is indicated and this situation should be avoided. I do suspect that less competitive schools may target higher stat re-applicants though I don't have evidence to confirm this.

You give really good advice! I'm going to think this over!

Hey just out of curiosity is it the higher schools that look down upon reapplicants? Like maybe Harvard/Stanford/etc think reapplicants are bad and lower tier schools don't?

Or is it all schools in general?

You give really good advice! I'm going to think this over!

Hey just out of curiosity is it the higher schools that look down upon reapplicants? Like maybe Harvard/Stanford/etc think reapplicants are bad and lower tier schools don't?

Or is it all schools in general?
We're both in CA, Klondike. I'm pretty familiar with IS schools. I know plenty of folks in other schools, too. It's not a matter of "looking down" on re-applicants. It's a matter of not wasting resources for the applicant or the school.

If you are a resident of a very different state (TX, OH, MI...) you may have quite a different experience.