Should I retake the DAT? TS/AA 19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSBeast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Let me start off saying this forum is awesome! I have read through multiple threads and now I am looking for your advice. I took the DAT for the 1st time yesterday and didn't do as well as I hoped. My scores are:

PAT: 22
GC: 21
OC: 20
RC: 19 (studied for it the night before, whoops)
BIO: 17
QRT: 17

Biology has always been a struggle and I stress out over the time limit in QRC. I'm married, work full-time, and take a class at night through UCLA Extension. Considering all that and my grades aren't stellar but acceptable, should I retake the DAT? I am planning on applying to both the U.S. Navy and Air Force Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP). What are my chances? Will my humanitarian EC help? I have traveled to Ensenada, MX every 3 months for the last 3 years to help kids with cleft lip/pallet. Thanks!

You advice is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately yes. You want to have sciences in the low 20s at least and nothing below 19ish to be very competitive...

If you want to get in to a specific, small list of schools on Dec 1, retake.

However, overall 47% of applicants get enrolled. You might not get in until late in the cycle and it might only be 1 rando school. If you apply to lots of schools and dont care where you go, I bet you can get in somewhere.

I think it depends on whether you want to control your own destiny.

Members don't see this ad :)
That 17 is gonna hurt you. I'd call your dream school and ask them, but they may just tell you that you need to raise it up a bit. Everything else is fine.

No, your scores are fine as long as your GPA isn't bad. Don't let people in this forum affect your thinking, a 19 is solid

A 19 is below the national average for matriculating d school students. I would rather be above the average than below.