Should I retake the GRE or get more experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indie76

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a new user, and I'm in the process of applying to a PsyD program and several Clinical Mental Health Counseling programs. I took the GRE in 2012 and got a 162 in Verbal (89th percentile), 150 in Quantitative (43rd percentile), and a 4 in Analytical Writing (49th percentile). The Verbal score is above the minimum required or mean/median scores reported by the programs I'm looking at, but the Quantitative score is 1 or 2 points above the required or reported scores and the Analytical Writing score is 0.5 less than what one of the schools requires. Because the scores, for the most part, meet the minimum requirements for the programs I'm researching, I'm not sure if I should retake the GRE or instead use the time to bolster my application.

A little background:
-I graduated with my BA in psychology last year with a GPA of 3.98 and a psychology GPA of 4.0.
-For the last 2 years of my undergrad I worked in a research lab, where I mostly engaged in research-related activities, such as data entry, literature reviews, measure translation, and transcription. For six months of that time, I conducted assessments with people who have schizophrenia and their families and screened potential participants over the phone. Also during my time in the lab, I conducted an independent research project.
-Last year, I published an article based on my independent research, and an article that I co-authored was published this year. I also presented my research at this year's APA convention.

Based on this information, would it be better to study for and retake the GRE or use the time to get more clinical experience and work on other aspects of my applications?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

If there is a reason you feel your GRE scores are not an adequate reflection of your ability (e.g. you were sick, you didn't study or prepare at all, etc.), then re-studying and retaking may benefit you. However, if there aren't any extenuating circumstances then studying and retaking the test likely won't be of much benefit (but will stress you out more ;)).

I'm not sure how much weight the analytical writing score carries--many schools don't even report the mean score. YMMV, but, standardized tests are not my strong suit and I'd heard the GRE is more of a screening criteria, so I aimed to score at least the mean of the previous incoming class and then focused on beefing up the rest of my application. Sounds like you're well on your way to having a competitive application. Good luck!!!!

Thanks so much! You've been really helpful! :)

When I took the gre I also had some trouble with the quant section; I found a study course that specialized in only that section at a local college and it dramatically increased my score. it was also cheaper than the kaplan courses