Should I Retake the MCAT or wait it out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deerws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have applied to several Med Schools this cycle but I am afraid that I will not be accepted into any of my top choices, specifically UNC or ECU (I am in-state). I have interviewed at both but haven't heard back. I have a 3.7 GPA with a double major in Chemistry and Biology. I made a 32 on the MCAT. I am debating whether I should go ahead and sign up for a prep course and MCAT test date. To be honest I probably studied a total of 20 hours and did 1 practice test for my first MCAT and I feel that I should be able to improve if I put in the time. I hate to waste the money but I really don't want to have wait, find out I don't get into a school I want to go to and already be behind in the next cycle forcing me to take another year off. Should I play it safe and sign up for a prep course or just wait it out?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are applying to state schools MCAT is not your problem. I personally think you get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have applied to several Med Schools this cycle but I am afraid that I will not be accepted into any of my top choices, specifically UNC or ECU (I am in-state). I have interviewed at both but haven't heard back. I have a 3.7 GPA with a double major in Chemistry and Biology. I made a 32 on the MCAT. I am debating whether I should go ahead and sign up for a prep course and MCAT test date. To be honest I probably studied a total of 20 hours and did 1 practice test for my first MCAT and I feel that I should be able to improve if I put in the time. I hate to waste the money but I really don't want to have wait, find out I don't get into a school I want to go to and already be behind in the next cycle forcing me to take another year off. Should I play it safe and sign up for a prep course or just wait it out?
If you are not accepted to either school, I doubt it will be due to your stats.

Definitely wait it out. If you feel absolutely compelled to improve your application in the meantime, focus on your ECs and not your mcat score

Re-taking a 32 is a bad idea. There are only 3 potential outcomes: two of them hurt you and the third doesn't help much.

I submitted secondaries in early september and interviewed in late september/early october at ECU and UNC. I haven't been accepted anywhere and currently have one other interview scheduled. Thanks for the feedback. I feel that my ECs are solid but not outstanding (have significant volunteer experience abroad, at the hospital and in a local school along with a few club activities).