Should I retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrilton

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I just took the MCAT on 10/21. I thought I was prepared for the exam but the test center was EXTREMELY noisy due to construction that was going on in the room next door and lasted throughout the entire exam. I am very worried about how this impacted my score. The construction was obviously distracting and I didn't finish any of the sections, so needless to say I was very discouraged by the end of the exam... Because the exam is changing in 2015 almost all of the dates in 2014/ Jan 2015 are already full and the only date still available in my area is 11/7 at which point I will not have my score for this exam. I am wondering if I should just retake the exam now without even knowing what I got?? I'm very torn so any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it'd be risky to take the MCAT again before getting your score back. It may not be a hard sell in person, but that means you'd have to get to the interview first and I honestly don't know how your chances would be affected if you received a high score on your first test and a low score on your second. Post-test expectations are not typically to be trusted.
While I understand not wanting to take the 2015 MCAT if you feel prepared and ready for the current test, however the 2015 test won't be the devastating test some SDN posts are making it out to be.
Regardless, if you think 17 days is enough to prepare then it could be the lesser of 2 evils (at least time and energy wise), but the act may come at a huge cost.

And if I were you I would complain like a squeaky wheel immune to oil about the environment of your test center.

AAMC says they will be adding some more seats for the current Jan dates so if you can wait until then to possibly snatch one. For a Jan retake, you should have your Oct score back. I took my test last week too and I felt like I completely messed up everything. I'm definitely signing up for a retake because my test was just brutal and I had trouble finishing up the bs section on time. I would say Nov 7 would be good if you had voided your test but since you didn't, it's too risky to take your test so close together not knowing how you even did the first time. There could be a chance you hit your goal and might not even need to retake.

Also keep checking, people drop out of the jan dates, thats how i got one just yesterday. Don't sign up for the nov 7th. Take a little break then start studying for the jan exam. If possible download the twitter app on your phone and make sure you get aamc tweet notification so you can know as soon as they release the additional seats.