Should I Retake the New MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andybshaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my MCAT scores from the October 21st test. I got a 31 (9V, 11BS, 11PS). I have a 3.93 GPA. In terms of extracurriculars, I have about 200 hours of volunteering at hospitalsand plan on trying to get an internship this summer and do some shadowing before I apply. I've never cared very much about getting into the Harvards and Johns Hopkins of the world, but I do feel that I am limiting somewhat my opportunities with this MCAT score. Everyone says that you shouldn't retake a score above a 30, but I thought maybe it would be a different strategy now that the test is changing. Then again, there is the opportunity cost issue and I'm not sure if it would be worth it in the end. For what it's worth, my score was approximately my average on the AAMCs, which went as low as 29 in the beginning and up to 35 in the end. I am also a white male and a junior, if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I just received my MCAT scores from the October 21st test. I got a 31 (9V, 11BS, 11PS). I have a 3.93 GPA from UIUC. In terms of extracurriculars, I have about 200 hours of volunteering at hospitals, I have been in a club that gives free medical screenings to low income individuals since I was a freshman, last summer I worked in a civil engineering research lab, I have been a TA for organic chemistry for my junior year, I have been involved in a mentoring program with 3rd/4th grade students, among other miscellaneous commitments that don't matter a great deal for these purposes. I plan on trying to get an internship this summer and do some shadowing before I apply. I've never cared very much about getting into the Harvards and Johns Hopkins of the world, but I do feel that I am limiting somewhat my opportunities with this MCAT score. Everyone says that you shouldn't retake a score above a 30, but I thought maybe it would be a different strategy now that the test is changing. Then again, there is the opportunity cost issue and I'm not sure if it would be worth it in the end. For what it's worth, my score was approximately my average on the AAMCs, which went as low as 29 in the beginning and up to 35 in the end. I am also a white male and a junior, if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Do NOT go within a light-year of the new MCAT. A 31 is a very good score, you scored around your average, and your GPA is fantastic.

Apply next cycle and reap the rewards of your hard work!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it's a good 31 (balanced) so your fine

Reactions: 1 user
If you retake that perfectly fine MCAT, so help me I'll reach through the electrons and smack you upside the head!

I just received my MCAT scores from the October 21st test. I got a 31 (9V, 11BS, 11PS). I have a 3.93 GPA from UIUC. In terms of extracurriculars, I have about 200 hours of volunteering at hospitals, I have been in a club that gives free medical screenings to low income individuals since I was a freshman, last summer I worked in a civil engineering research lab, I have been a TA for organic chemistry for my junior year, I have been involved in a mentoring program with 3rd/4th grade students, among other miscellaneous commitments that don't matter a great deal for these purposes. I plan on trying to get an internship this summer and do some shadowing before I apply. I've never cared very much about getting into the Harvards and Johns Hopkins of the world, but I do feel that I am limiting somewhat my opportunities with this MCAT score. Everyone says that you shouldn't retake a score above a 30, but I thought maybe it would be a different strategy now that the test is changing. Then again, there is the opportunity cost issue and I'm not sure if it would be worth it in the end. For what it's worth, my score was approximately my average on the AAMCs, which went as low as 29 in the beginning and up to 35 in the end. I am also a white male and a junior, if that makes any difference. Thanks!

Reactions: 12 users
I can't think of a reason why you would need to retake unless your honed into a top 10 school

I can't think of a reason why you would need to retake unless your honed into a top 10 school
I think the OP feels like continuous improvement was necessary. Since GPA and ECs are all pretty much solid, that leaves the MCAT and shadowing for buffing.

To the OP... please take what I am about to say with a grain of salt as I am not an adcom.

Your research is lacking due to it being only a summer program which would make a poster or publication unlikely (you did not mention any). This rules out heavy research-based schools, but you shouldn't be applying to those anyway since research does not seem to be an important factor in your prospective training (correct me if I'm wrong).

Your clinical experience, though sufficient, may be lacking when you're up against applicants going into schools such as VCU with a heavy clinical experience emphasis.

Overall, the distinguishing part of your application seems to be the tutoring/mentoring and your worked in under-served communities. As it is best to distinguish yourself as an applicant rather than be average in all areas, perhaps it would be best to continue tutoring/mentoring and working in under-served communities to show long-term commitment.

Since you have time, you can in fact prepare for the new mcat if you're so inclined. Your score is fine, but not exceptional. So if you can get your AAMC practice scores consistently higher than a 31, then perhaps you should retake it. If not, then don't leap over backwards for it. 31 isn't a red flag in any way.

Reactions: 1 user
Take it again and let me know how you do. You only live once man, get in that top school! Your score will make all of the difference. Don't let these wannabes tell you any different.. Seriously man you deserve that top spot.

Just kidding. You have solid stats; I think you know that. Apply and win. A lot can change by the time you take the MCAT again.

You'll be fine. The whole application process is confusing anyways. If you're within their 10th-90th percentile, you have a chance. Some schools care more about the MCAT and some schools don't care about it as much. Every school looks for different things and I feel that if you want to have the best chance, look at the average student at that school to see what they the med school is looking for and make your secondary match up to what they are looking for. Some schools want leadership. Some want research. Some want to serve the needy, etc.

Do not retake. As someone who has been through the entire application process, I think you should start focusing on that. Start researching which schools to apply to, make sure your writing skills are up to par, and definitely practice interviewing skills. Once you are in the middle of the application and interviewing process, all of the GPA/MCAT stuff seems like the distant past. I firmly believe that communication skills, both verbal and written, are extremely important (given you have acceptable academics) when it comes to gaining an acceptance, so I think you should shift your focus onto the factors that are completely in your control, like your ECs and the experiences you are gaining from them.

I wouldn't risk it. Scoring lower would be worse.