Should I Retake the New MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethicsguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently debating whether or not I should retake the new MCAT. I took the old MCAT twice and the highest score I received was a 26 (9,9,8) on my second attempt. I felt rather prepared both times and consistently averaged around 32-34 with a 36 on my best attempt on the practice exams before taking the exam. I used Kaplan and Exam Krackers as study material, as well as got a tutor to help. My major issue is the time constraints and atmosphere of the test itself, I felt like I understood the material both times.

I am a non-traditional student and decided to do my own post-bac. My cGPA is ~3.8 and sGPA ~3.7. I consider my EC's very good, with work experience, and lots of volunteer work (non-medical) of over 600 hours. I also have ~380 clinical volunteer hours and separate work experience in hospital admin. I am also currently in a Masters program (medical ethics) that will end at the end of this year (June). I did apply to schools this cycle, and have yet to hear back or have been rejected. I am wait-listed by one school currently, but I cannot expect that to pull through. I only applied to Allopathic schools, and am only considering MD schools due to the direction I want to take my career.

My main dilemma is since my last test was before I started my Masters program back in July, I have not been keeping up with the material on the MCAT, especially the new material, some of which I do not have prerequisites in. I currently do not have time to actually fully dive into the material until I complete my masters since it is very time consuming.

I was wondering if anyone else has a similar situation or can shed more light on the benefits/risks of taking the new MCAT or reapplying next cycle with my current ****ty score. Any help/information would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The issue though, (or at least the issue for myself in a very similar position) is not just to retake the MCAT, but is whether or not to take the NEW mcat. I also do not have pre -reqs in the new fields and as a nontrad currently working full time, I would have to cram all the new material alongside the old stuff, all within a few short months.

Hopefully you will end up getting in this cycle and not have to worry about it :D

Realistically, though, I think you should plan to retake the MCAT. Hope for the best; plan for the worst. If schools do not accept you this cycle, what could you do to significantly improve your application for next cycle, other than improving your MCAT? You already have good grades, ECs, and clinical experience. The only weak point of your application, and therefore the only point where you can show significant improvement, is your MCAT. By the way, what was your other score? And did the highest one come first or second? If it makes you feel any better, the new MCAT does give you more time per question (you mentioned time being a problem).

My only other advice would be to strongly reconsider D.O. schools. I don't want this to turn into an M.D. vs. D.O. debate, as you can do a quick search to find many of those on SDN. But if it is a choice between being a D.O. and not being a doctor, or wasting more time and money on another MCAT/application cycle, D.O. seems like a very good option.

Reactions: 1 users