Should I retake these classes or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPresident

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
SOOO here's the deal,

I got a C in gen chem 2 and a C or C+ (I can't remember) in Bio 2. Chem/Bio 1 I got B+ for both. My reason for lower grade second semester is semi-OK... I joined Army ROTC. I didn't know that I wanted to be a doctor at that point, and decided to join the Army. I left ROTC at the end of the semester when I decided to become a doctor. Unfortunately, the damage had already been done. So, is it worth it to retake those 2 classes? So far, into my sophomore year, I have all A/A- or B/B+ in all of my classes. I'm expected nothing lower than a B+ by the end. (Basically, I can maintain a higher GPA the rest of my years here, and organic chem is going to be AT LEAST a B).

I have heard that retaking a class is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation from some people, but I see that a lot of people on this forum do retake classes and successfully get into medical school. Not only would it help my GPA, but maybe it would show that I actually do understand the material?

So, would it be worth it for me to retake these 2 classes? It had dragged my 1st year GPA to around 3.1-3.2...

IF NOT, would explaining how I joined ROTC and why my grades were lower that semester be a good reason for a medical school interview?

I am planning on applying to mainly DO schools, but may apply to some MD schools as well. Thanks in advanced!

P.S. If I were to retake, I would expect I would get either an A or A- in the class, seeing as the amount of effort I put in the first time was minimal, and I know that that's what I'm capable of. So I wouldn't get stuck in a situation where I would only get a C+ or B- with my retake.

On a separate note, would this completely replace my grade on my transcript? Would admissions be able to see that I retook it and/or see my previous grade in the class? Would it REPLACE my grade, so the previous one wouldn't affect my GPA? I know this is something that I could ask my adviser at my school, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

Members don't see this ad.

For DO programs, you can do no wrong by retaking any C science coursework for a higher grade.

BUT, if your GPA is currently >3.3, and you seeing it stay that way, then there's probably no need for a repeat.

I would say retake the 2 C's you have if you want. They can help boost your science GPA when applying to DO schools. You sound confident that you will get an A or A- in both the classes. IMO 2 retakes are bad at all.

As for for you transcript both grades will show up. And i'm not sure if being in the ROTC might justify.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on applying to mainly DO schools, but may apply to some MD schools as well. Thanks in advanced!

P.S. If I were to retake, I would expect I would get either an A or A- in the class, seeing as the amount of effort I put in the first time was minimal, and I know that that's what I'm capable of. So I wouldn't get stuck in a situation where I would only get a C+ or B- with my retake.

On a separate note, would this completely replace my grade on my transcript? Would admissions be able to see that I retook it and/or see my previous grade in the class? Would it REPLACE my grade, so the previous one wouldn't affect my GPA? I know this is something that I could ask my adviser at my school, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

There is no downside to retaking a course provided you significantly improve. That said, how much it helps does vary by school, but in the DO world, I'm sure schools would rather you have a higher GPA than not retake. In the MD world, the retake will factor into GPA just like another class, so while it should improve your GPA, it wouldn't be significant.

For both apps, all of your grades will be visible as well as all courses you have taken and what you repeated. That said, with the DO app, your GPA will be calculated using your retake grades, not your previous grades, so that should give your GPA a boost. To be clear, this has nothing to do with the policy of your school. Your school may calculate GPA differently, and may not even show your original grades on your transcript. Regardless of that, you have to list every course you have ever taken on your med school app (AMCAS or AACOMAS) and they calculate the GPA in their own way.

Honestly, if you have the time and money to retake those 2-3 courses, you might as well bring your GPA up, but as Goro said, if you have a decent GPA to begin with (>3.4-3.5), it might not be necessary.

I appreciate all of the feedback. I'll most likely end up retaking both classes. I don't know much about the application process yet, but it sounds to me like it would be worth it provided I do well in both classes. Thanks everyone!