Should I retake to get in a program (MD)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluelover656

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey wise SDN people!
I just joined as a new member but I've been reading many different threads for a long time.
I just wanted to know what my chances to get into a respectable medical school.
I come from a really small unknown private college (less than 2000 people total) and I'd like to know what my chances are:
3.89 GPA (3.88 science GPA)
12/9/9 30 MCAT (I was a little bit disappointed to be honest)

I am wondering if it is even worth retaking/if I have a chance to get into a competitive program.
If you guys could give me feedback, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Chances for MD are not bad, but you'd probably have to stick to the lower tier schools. How important is it to you to go to somewhere "competitive"?

If you have a specific program or programs in mind find out how they view retakes. If they average them that means you have to blow your previous score out of the water to improve your application. If you feel like you can improve by the equivalent of 4-5 points at the very least go ahead and retake.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any accredited US medical school is "respectable." Plus, I should say that going to a lesser known school won't really hurt your chances all that much. Far more important is the GPA and MCAT. With your current stats (strong GPA, slightly below average MCAT for matriculants), I would apply broadly to MD and some DO schools and you should get in somewhere. A lot of this also depends on your ECs. If they are particularly strong, and only the MCAT is holding you back, then sure, retake. Just be sure that you analyze yourself and figure out what your weaknesses are and go 100% on your retake so that you have a good chance of improving. Best of luck!

30 is a little weak if you ask me. Improvement of 3 to 4 points can go a long way in this range. It is not impossible either. I would retake after extensive studying and PRACTICE.

It very much depends on what you're aiming for and what your resume looks like. If you have a strong resume with leadership and involvement in the community, then your MCAT shouldn't hold you back from getting an MD as long as you apply intelligently. If you (a) have a weak resume and were depending on a good MCAT score, or (b) want to bag a "big name" school then you likely need some practice and a retake. But you should think long and hard about how important the name is to you. Every school grants the same degree.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user