should i score transfer NAPLEX to every state I could possibly end up in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p-rog

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this is my understanding:

Score transfer allows you obtain "licensed by examination" in multiple states, so that you can drop an old state license when you move to a new state. Compare that with license reciprocation, where you have to keep both your old state license and your new state license active after you move because you don't have a license by examination in your new state. Is that right?

Ok, so I've been told to go ahead and score transfer to any state I think I might end up in one day, since it's cheaper and easier than reciprocation. For me, this is about ~10 states. The question I have is, do I have to take the MJPE for each of these states now, or can I take it in like 5 years from now if I end up moving to one of those states? The Georgia BOP made it sound like you would have to complete the full licensure process (including MJPE for GA) within one year of score transfer... So that would kind of defeat the advantage to me.

Anyone have any insight here?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure it depends on the state. Looking into some specific states, I know Illinois and Minnesota require all documentation and scores within 1 year of that score transfer to be eligible for licensure by score transfer. It's likely a similar time frame for most other states.

I've been told to score transfer by pharmacists to a ton of places as well to save money. However, it seems in my opinion that it'll likely end up being a waste of money to score transfer unless you are definitely intent on moving to that specific state in the future (or definitely intent on moving out of the state you will start practicing in and so want options in case something opens up). Then you have to pay for that state's licensing fees/going through their hoops (background checks if necessary, etc.) and paying the fees to maintain those other state licenses in addition to the one you're practicing with, etc.

But I'm in your boat too with looking through all the Naplex stuff and score transfers so take that all with a grain of salt.

I think it is a waste of money to score transfer to a ton of states. You DO have to complete the entire licensure process in that state by their set deadline or the scores are no longer valid. Some states are only a year.

Now when you score transfer, that state does become a "licensure by examination". You must ALWAYS keep a "licensure by examination" active. You can not reciprocate off of anything else. So pick those states carefully.

I just decided to get licensure by examination in 2 states. I registered for my home state and did a score transfer to the neighboring state I was working in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Q: just graduated and passed the naplex. thinking of transferring my naplex to NV. Do I (just) pay for the NABP transfer fee or do I have to pay for NV application fee in addition to the NABP fee . ~255$ (i think).