Should I sell my car? Going to Vet school ..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aelet17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I hopefully will be going to vet school soon. I've applied to two great schools, one in London and one in Colorado... I understand that taking my car to London is not an option but I don't know if I would have to sell it or just leave it here and pay my expensive car note which doesn't sound pleasant if I can't even drive it.

What suggestions do you have if I go to London? I really wouldn't like to sell my car because before I got it life was a struggle.
In general, how do vet students make money without giving up on grades? I would like to get a job if I have to but I don't want to sacrifice grades.

Furthermore, if I go to Colorado I see that housing is very expensive there and I don't know how I will be able to pay for car, cell, etc... I figure I could get loans to cover college but i don't want to struggle to pay for the other things. I try to minimize spending as it is now.

I know the Army offers a Vet school scholarship but it's not guarantee to get it. Any other ideas or ways to cover such costs or solve these conundrums?

How did you pay for vet school along with other needs?

Members don't see this ad.

Loans. Lots of them.

What kind of loans? I have some school loans right now but I usually have to wait for the refund of whatever is leftover after tuition costs before I have any money coming to me from that loan...

Members don't see this ad :)
If you know you're going to London, sell the car. If you're going to Colorado, I would do one of two things: calculate the cost of your car's note into your monthly budget and borrow through loans to cover the cost. Or sell the car and buy an older one with the money earned from sale, so you only have to worry about insurance and gas.
I didn't have a car until senior year of college, paid in full for a 96 Corolla. My life has become immensely easier since I got a car, and I cannot imagine living without it.

Reactions: 1 user
In the states you are offered government student loans, similar to student loans from undergrad. I do not know the full extent or differences between the undergrad and professional loan programs.

What kind of loans? I have some school loans right now but I usually have to wait for the refund of whatever is leftover after tuition costs before I have any money coming to me from that loan...

That's how it works for vet school too. You take out the government student loan, sometimes a grad plus loan too if you go to an expensive school, and take out enough extra so that all your living expenses are covered if needed. The school takes out its share, refunds you what you get to live on for that semester. That's why vet students can easily have $200,000-$300,000 worth of loans. You really won't be able to hold down a very serious job in vet school. I worked 10 hours a week, got mostly Bs, and just made enough money to have fun with and pay for costs associated with my dog. The one person in my class who I know worked more than 20 hours a week struggled badly with her grades. Vet school is a full time job and a half by itself.

Reactions: 2 users
i would think long and hard about selling before going to colorado, you will definitely be trading (lots) of time for the money gained by selling the car. lots of time on public transportation/getting to/from school. i didnt have a car in undergrad, and although i didnt have a car the first year i moved off campus during vet school (3 semesters on campus at SGU), i definitely paid the price in sleep and time by using buses. i simply can't fathom how people can do it during 4th year (but there are a couple!)

Definitely keep the car if going to Colorado. Fort Collins has good transportation and bike paths but if you are worried about the cost of housing, you'll want to live outside of Fort Collins like in Loveland or something. Then the car will be extremely handy and allow you more flexibility.

Regarding the "how do vet students make money" question.... I think most people cover their cost of living through loans, but you can still work and make some money to help offset expenses or provide a bit more spending cash.

No idea how anything in London works, but I'd guess Colorado is similar to here: there are jobs around the teaching hospital, jobs in nearby research areas, administrative areas, etc. You just have to poke/ask around.

But most people don't work much more than 8 hours/week or so. For a while I did 20 hrs/week in ICU, and that was fine because I was willing to give up Fri/Sat nights to do it.

A lot of it depends on how much hit you're willing to take to your grades. I imagine if you're one of the "I must have all A's" people it might be hard to work much.

Many vet schools also offer fellowships that can help financially. I don't know the details, but I've been told many students at Penn work just a few hours a week in a lab, and I asked about it at Midwestern and they also encourage it. It's a great way to make a little extra cash, possibly cover part of your tuition, and learn more about the scientific process!

ok, Colorado:
If you get a place in town, you can bike and also there is a rapid bus that goes from down town right to where you'll be the first two years and to the Vet teaching hospital as well. It is free if you're a student.

You can share a place with other students, if you are so inclined and it isn't as expensive. If you don't mind living with people, there are lots of options.

You will, of course be limited so far as trips out of town go or heading up the canyon etc, but you can catch a ride with friends. I live in town, close to old town & have a car and a bike and use the car more, but whenever my car's broken down, I get around just fine on my bike and on the bus.

Thank you all so much for the great suggestions and advice!!! I really appreciate it!
When the time comes I will have a good idea of what to do depending on which school I get in.
Now, I just have to hope and pray I get into either one!

Happy Holiday!

Also, you never want to keep a car sitting around not being used. Engines don't do well sitting, and neither do other car parts.
Sell it if you can't use it.. don't waste money on something not being used.

Having "feelings" over selling it is kind of ... well.. you'll get over it ..

Also, you never want to keep a car sitting around not being used. Engines don't do well sitting, and neither do other car parts.

I was just about to say this.....

When I moved to Scotland for vet school 2 years ago I sold my car. For a few reasons:
-You need someone to care for the car. They can't just sit around. As SOV stated. I probably could have found someone to do this for me rather easily but had anything come up with the car, I would not want to put the $$$ into it when I am not using it.
-No point in paying for a car loan, insurance, registration, etc if the car is just sitting. Seriously. It is kind of a waste of money.
-I needed the money for moving. Moving is expensive. Moving overseas is very expensive. Had I not sold my car, I would not have had the money needed to secure a place to live in the UK.

Also, if you do end up selling your car, start as early as possible. I held off quite a bit and ended up selling the car the day before I left for Scotland. It was very stressful worrying about not having it sold.

If you end up going to Colorado, I would keep the car, if you are able to. I don't know how the set-up is in London, but in Scotland public transportation ate up HOURS of my time. I hated it. I didn't have a choice so I made do, but it was very frustrating. So, if you can have the car in Colorado, to me, it would be worth it. Especially for final year on clinics when you might need to be on call and only have a limited time to get to the vet hospital.

So, if you end up in Colorado and can have the car with you, I would do so. It saves you a lot of time. Yes, it costs money, but, to me, it is worth it. However, if you go to London and the car is just going to be sitting, I would sell it. Not worth spending $$$ on something you aren't using.

You're right... I don't know what I was thinking even considering spending money that wasn't being used haha.

I was just about to say this.....

When I moved to Scotland for vet school 2 years ago I sold my car. For a few reasons:
-You need someone to care for the car. They can't just sit around. As SOV stated. I probably could have found someone to do this for me rather easily but had anything come up with the car, I would not want to put the $$$ into it when I am not using it.
-No point in paying for a car loan, insurance, registration, etc if the car is just sitting. Seriously. It is kind of a waste of money.
-I needed the money for moving. Moving is expensive. Moving overseas is very expensive. Had I not sold my car, I would not have had the money needed to secure a place to live in the UK.

Also, if you do end up selling your car, start as early as possible. I held off quite a bit and ended up selling the car the day before I left for Scotland. It was very stressful worrying about not having it sold.

If you end up going to Colorado, I would keep the car, if you are able to. I don't know how the set-up is in London, but in Scotland public transportation ate up HOURS of my time. I hated it. I didn't have a choice so I made do, but it was very frustrating. So, if you can have the car in Colorado, to me, it would be worth it. Especially for final year on clinics when you might need to be on call and only have a limited time to get to the vet hospital.

So, if you end up in Colorado and can have the car with you, I would do so. It saves you a lot of time. Yes, it costs money, but, to me, it is worth it. However, if you go to London and the car is just going to be sitting, I would sell it. Not worth spending $$$ on something you aren't using.
Thank you so much! I appreciate your detailed advice and you telling me about your experiences! I definitely know now I will have to sell if I go to London...Before everyone's much needed advice, I was considering even shipping my car over to London.. What a silly idea!

Thank you so much! I appreciate your detailed advice and you telling me about your experiences! I definitely know now I will have to sell if I go to London...Before everyone's much needed advice, I was considering even shipping my car over to London.. What a silly idea in my situation!

What suggestions do you have if I go to London? I really wouldn't like to sell my car because before I got it life was a struggle.
In general, how do vet students make money without giving up on grades? I would like to get a job if I have to but I don't want to sacrifice grades.

First of all, good luck with your applications!

As far as financing yourself in London, you'll probably have to depend on loans. Please don't come to London expecting to be able to find a part-time job. It is a very difficult place to get a job at the moment. Even jobs in shops and pubs will be difficult to get. They will prefer to hire people who have experience working in the UK.

That being said, it's not impossible to find work in London. Just don't rely on it.

If you do end up getting in and want to learn more about the process of moving to the UK from an American perspective, I recommend the UK Yankee forum. http://talk.uk-yankee.com/