Should I send a school 10 letters of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

F.Underwood

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some schools don't have an upper limit on # of LOR's.
I just called Tufts and they said it is ok to send in as many as I want.
What do you think? Is it a good idea to take advantage of not having an upper limit?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No, definitely not.

You will NOT have 10 outstanding letters. You will likely have 4-6 outstanding ones and 6-4 good/fine ones. You do not want the admissions people to read through the first 5, skim through the rest, and never get to read your best letters. No one wants to spend 3 hours reading your letters, if you send in too much you risk not putting your best foot forward.

Reactions: 3 users
Today seriously must be Troll Day.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one is going to read 10 letters of rec when they have 5,000 other applications to get to.

Reactions: 1 user
I would certainly not want to read 10 letters. If you're that amazing that you have 10 people wanting to write letters for you, I'm sure you can get the same effect with maximum 5-6 strong letters.

3-6 strong letters >>>> 10 mediocre letters.

Reactions: 1 user
Doesn't hurt to check right? ;)

Anyway, thanks everyone for your input. I agree, that 10 would be too many. I will stick with 6.

A former boss wrote one of my recommendation letters. It was maybe half a page (he let me see it). At an interview one of the MD's interviewing me said they loved that letter and they wish they were all that short and to the point, they then went on a small rant about how over stuffed most letters are.

Quality over quantity OP.

No - send 100. I am sure all are outstanding and the entire ADCOM will enjoy reading a book about you.

No - send 100. I am sure all are outstanding and the entire ADCOM will enjoy reading a book about you.

Nah, do a thousand. Just imagine the faces of ADCOMs when you flood their desks with recommendation letters from every professor, researcher, and janitor you've ever interacted with.

My letters unexpectedly multiplied to 9 (including the committee letter) and I regretted the decision ever since.