Should I send update letter to no luv schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinki

Sassy Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got 8 schools still not offering interviews, with their respective secondaries completed in October. With 4 interviews thusfar (talk about an expensive November!!!), I won't be receiving word on A/W/R until late January, they tell me.

I'm thinking of drafting an update letter and sending it after the holidays to let them know of some new developments in my application, and to reiterate my interest. Namely, a paper accepted for publication, my acceptance of a teaching position (parttime) and recruitment to be a senior researcher on a diabetes project this spring.

Has anyone done this? Does it help? OR is it just too late in the game to be adding more paper to their office shredders?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be sending the letters to the schools who have yet to offer interviews, but tell me I'm still "under review", to clarify my OP. Thanks!

one of my interviewers ended the interview by giving me lots of advice re: the app process. he told me to send letters, updates, etc. whenever i could (within reason, which to him was every week or so!), basically do anything to call positive attention to your application because everytime you do, they have to pick up your app and look at it. i did the update thing post-hold for interview with one school to no avail (ucsd), but i'm gonna try another school (uci) soon. good luck to you! let us know how it works out.

I still have 10 schools who I have heard nothing from along with the 2 that I will have interviewed with by then. I am planning on sending them all a letter updating my profile and a rec letter from my boss at Habitat for Humanity. I figure it can't hurt too much and since a lot of the schools I have yet to hear from are really high on my list I figure it's worth a shot. WHat do u have to lose by sending them more info anyways?