Should I send update letters pre or post interview to schools that extended IIs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carnivalnorth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I be sending update letters to schools from which I have received interview invitations before the interview so they have a chance to review this new information prior to the interview, or after the interview?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Neither. Tell them about the updates at your interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools specifically request that you send updates prior to the interview. Wouldn't it follow that other schools would prefer this as well?

Some schools specifically request that you send updates prior to the interview. Wouldn't it follow that other schools would prefer this as well?

Update letter policies are school-dependent. You might want to contact schools individually. Opinions about how to maximize the effect of your updates vary--here are a couple of threads that give you a sense of this: 1, 2.

Some schools specifically say don't send update letters, while others encourage them, so no, it would not follow that one school's policy reflects what other schools want.

Yep ask the individual schools. But make sure that the updates are worthwhile otherwise you'll be wasting their time and that could reflect badly if, say, you update them on the fact that you got 4 more physician shadowing hours or that you got a new puppy and you've recently taken up jogging as a hobby with your puppy.

So I called all of the schools with which I have interviews. I asked if they would prefer update letters before, during, or after the interview. They all said it didn't matter but if I wanted the interviewer to have the information to send it prior to the interview.