Should I send update

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C_Murthy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
should I send an update to schools? This would include an updated amount of shadowing hours and job plans?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're sending shadowing hours or job plans, then no.

Other things (like acing summer classes or getting published in a paper) maybe.

New employment related to dentistry or significant volunteering hours = worthy of update.
Plans or shadowing = not worthy imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should i send them update about my fall classes? I was planning to take those classes in the spring semester, but took them in the fall semester instead.

Should i send them update about my fall classes? I was planning to take those classes in the spring semester, but took them in the fall semester instead.
Not until grades are posted. Unless the school has asked you about a specific pre-requisite.

I updated my top choice with my new shadowing hours because they specifically asked me in the interview why I hadn't shadowed in several months (summer classes, DAT etc...). I don't think its that big of a deal if you've already interviewed and you want to show your continued interest in the field and their school. If it's schools you haven't even interviewed at I would only do it if your application was deficient in some way or if you have significant new hours in something. No plans, just what you've done.

Would 50ish hours of volunteer count as significant? Also I got a LOR from the supervisor where I volunteer at, is this worth sending them?

This would be for a school I already interviewed at.

Last edited:
I updated my top choice with my new shadowing hours because they specifically asked me in the interview why I hadn't shadowed in several months (summer classes, DAT etc...). I don't think its that big of a deal if you've already interviewed and you want to show your continued interest in the field and their school. If it's schools you haven't even interviewed at I would only do it if your application was deficient in some way or if you have significant new hours in something. No plans, just what you've done.
Wait do schools expect you to continually shadow until dental school? I shadowed for a summer last year and then stopped …

Would 50ish hours of volunteer count as significant? Also I got a LOR from the supervisor where I volunteer at, is this worth sending them?

This would be for a school I already interviewed at.
Probably not lol if it's something you just started I doubt an LOI/update is gonna be significant.. especially cause it's volunteering.. if it were beginning research/academic enrichment/dental job then it would be better. Send if waitlisted.. More impact to better your chances to get in then.