Should I should take online Organic Chemistry 2 and self-study my way through the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwanttopulloutteeth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick background: Non-trad, working, I was supposed to take the DAT last year and finish the rest of my pre-reqs but I got sick and had to postpone the DAT and ended up taking Organic Chemistry I (lecture+lab) online.

Now, I want to take the DAT during the coming Spring and try to apply as early as possible since my app won't be the strongest one in the pile, but I still have to take Organic Chemistry II. The online course was "fine" (got a good grade at least), but I feel like I really didn't retain much from it and everything was self-taught. So I'm trying to decide if I want to take online Organic Chemistry II and try to finish it by December, and then take the DAT in Spring. Or, the other option being, try to get into the in-class version (but I haven't talked to the university about this), which would end in May (a couple months after I planned on taking the DAT) and might create a schedule conflict (either with my job or if I decide to take 1 more class).

Tl;dr version: option 1 is take the 2nd portion of organic chemistry online, finish in December, and self-study my way through the DAT organic material, taking the test in about 4 months from now. Option 2 is try to get into in-class Organic 2 where I would probably learn more and maybe get a nice LoR out of it, but I might have to change my work hours/not take physics and I wouldn't complete the course until May.

Thoughts and feelings?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking your pre-reqs for dental school online is a death-nail for your application. Online courses do not have the same rigor associated with tests administered against students with written exams. I'd advise heavily against enrolling in online classes. The only caveat is if the material is offered digitally, but exams are still evaluated akin to students in class, proctored.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are schools that accept online o-chem?

Strong debatable to a light apparently on that one. It's run through the my state university that has a dental school, so hopefully it won't look THAT bad if I can get a high organic score on the DAT (bad but won't hurt my chances too much and I can at least re-take it if need be to matriculate). If I can't get transfer those online credits to get into the in-class section, then I'll have to take Orgo II online regardless of how D schools will think of it.

Hmm... tricky question,

In Canada, I don't think they care about online prereqs. Not sure about the states.

I wouldn't recommend it as I think it would weaken your overall app compared to other applicants. How does one take the lab portion online?

The good news is, from what I can remember, the OG section on my DAT (3 years ago) only covered Ochem 1 material at my university. But this can vary by university and DAT exams so take that for what it's worth.

Part of it probably depends on where you plan to apply. Double-check their pre-reqs. I know some of the schools I applied to specifically said they will not accept online classes for those that require a lab.

I wouldn't recommend it as I think it would weaken your overall app compared to other applicants. How does one take the lab portion online?

The good news is, from what I can remember, the OG section on my DAT (3 years ago) only covered Ochem 1 material at my university. But this can vary by university and DAT exams so take that for what it's worth.

I took me about a month of work to complete the lecture+lab, it but it's really up to the student to determine their own pace (3 months is the max). I think what I'll do is just head over to the university where I did most of my post-bacc pre-reqs and see if I can transfer over the online credits so I won't reduce my chances.

Assuming I am able to transfer those credits, when would be a good time to take the DAT since I wouldn't finish organic chemistry II until May? I really want to get everything in as early as possible. Do you think it would be okay if I used the course itself as my primary organic chemistry studying resource and then maybe spend a couple weeks after the semester to study aggressively and then take the DAT in late May?

Many schools accept the online course, especially if you only have a few. Being a non-traditional student is also something that is taken into consideration. Check with the schools you apply to.
Also if you plan on taking it in the spring, along with physics and the DAT after the semester, that might be tough. Especially if you are still working. Getting the course knocked out might provide some breathing room to study for the DAT, which is more important.
Just some food for thought.