Should I spend time memorizing solubility trends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

balopathic45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen conflicting information on this in various test-prep books

Members don't see this ad.

It seems as though they've expected people to know the very basic rules such as nitrates are highly soluble and alkali metal salts are usually soluble. For more complex salts, it's probably not worth knowing obscure rules. Be sure you understand Ksp and molar solubility in detail.

Reactions: 1 user
I've seen conflicting information on this in various test-prep books
Looking at the AAMC outline, the topic is still on the list of approved topics. Historically the AAMC has never been about testing minutae, but you should be able to know general solubility trends for common ions, calculate molar solubility, understand Ksp and determine when precipitation may occur as you had to up till Jan 2015. Nothing I have seen indicates they have changed their approach. I have had a few students mention solubility show up in drug related passages and a few have mentioned outright info-style passages on dissolved gasses in liquids (which could also be tested via the circulatory system). No conflict about, learn it, but don't dig too deep.