Should I start preparing now for Aug MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KLeigh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I am a non-trad and I have recently started to consider taking the August MCAT. Originally, I planned to just take it next April and apply for 2007 matriculation, because by then I will have finished all of my pre-req courses (I figured I wouldn't be ready for the MCAT until they were all done). However, I took the AAMC practice exam without any studying or preperation, just for a baseline, and scored a 29 before having taken the physics or o-chem classes I am enrolled in for this summer (I took AP physics in high school in 1997 and I took o-chem in 1999 but am (re)taking both courses this summer). I still want to apply for 2007, but I like the idea of leaving myself the possibility of retaking the test in April if nec. (although I don't want to set myself up to get a bad score and simply create a need to retake the test).

So I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on whether I should start preparing soon and take the MCAT in August, even though I will have taken only one quarter of physics and one of o-chem for the first time in at least 6 years. Is it unwise for me to give myself only a few months to prepare, especially since I will have a hectic summer school schedule? Thanks for any advice, suggestions, or stories of your own experience with MCAT preperation. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't let one practice exam get your hopes up that you are going to do well. It takes a lot more than that. You need to finish and I mean finish all of your prereqs, before taking the MCAT. And while you are in them, try to learn them real well that you can retain them so that the review stuff will be just basic and you will be able to do it with ease and quickly.

Take it in April. If you don't do well in April, there is always next August and you can still apply for 2007.

i would do it. if you take it and ace it, you'll be a year ahead of the game. if you blow it, then you can always take it in april and/or august of next year. which practice test did you take, by the way?

i was a non-trad (sort of) though i had taken all the prereqs, and i started in april for last august's mcat. it takes a lot of review, but if you just get yourself a good book (like kaplan comprehensive or examkrackers) it's doable. esp. if you're taking classes this summer - all that material will be fresh in your mind.

good luck, whatever you choose.