Should I still try to take the MCAT this Friday? Expired ID

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narla_hotep

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I feel pretty dumb right now. I'm scheduled to take the MCAT this Friday, but I think I will get turned away from the testing center since I have an expired ID. My drivers license expired a few weeks ago when I turned 21, and I only went in to renew it last week because I didn't realize there was a DMV in my college town. I haven't gotten the new license in the mail yet, just a temporary paper one. I thought it was okay for the MCAT since it had my photo and signature on it, but then I was re-reading the guidelines today and saw some fine print about temporary IDs not being accepted. I called my testing center and they said they would go with whatever the "client" (AAMC) guidelines were, but they had no idea if the ID would be ok or not right off the top of their heads. So then I called the AAMC and they said they absolutely would NOT take a temporary ID or my expired one.

What do I do now? My passport is expired and I can't get a new one within 4 days, and there's a good chance I won't get my permanent license in the mail yet. Should I still keep studying this week and try going to the testing center on Friday, hoping that they will be ok with temporary ID? Or not even bother and reschedule for June? Ugh, I'm really pissed off at myself for not finding out where the DMVs were and renewing my license a week earlier... May have just wasted $300 and hours of my time/sanity. :'(

Members don't see this ad.

Since you'll get no money for cancelling now, and it's just a few days away - I would try to take it. If you can't sit the exam, then schedule for the soonest one you can on Friday.

Who knows, maybe your license will come in the mail on Thursday (not super likely from my experience).

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, I hate to resurrect this thread again and further indulge my anxiety, but... if they do let me in and I am able to take the exam, is there any chance the AAMC will find out about the ID and cancel my score later or even accuse me of fraud/misconduct? The testing centers probably take pics of the ID and send it to AAMC. The risk of that would be literally the only thing stopping me from showing up this Friday.

Last edited:
Okay, I hate to resurrect this thread again and further indulge my anxiety, but... if they do let me in and I am able to take the exam, is there any chance the AAMC will find out about the ID and cancel my score later or even accuse me of fraud/misconduct? The testing centers probably take pics of the ID and send it to AAMC. The risk of that would be literally the only thing stopping me from showing up this Friday.
doubt it. It is the testing center's responsibility to screen you before entering. If they missed the ID it's their bad. For the AAMC to accuse you of misconduct I would think they would have to be able to prove an intent on your part to do wrong. I guess it's more of a moral question then...