Should I study a DAY before my MCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agent47

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lot of people been telling me that I shouldn't study a day before my MCAT....I was like...Then what should I do and they told me to chill!!!....Well What do you guys thinK? Should I just relax a day before the MCAT cuz I figure you're not going to pull any thing in that ONE DAY!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Lot of people been telling me that I shouldn't study a day before my MCAT....I was like...Then what should I do and they told me to chill!!!....Well What do you guys thinK? Should I just relax a day before the MCAT cuz I figure you're not going to pull any thing in that ONE DAY!!!!

Do not study the day before the MCAT.

yes study.
why would you not? of course it wouldnt be THAT useful to learn new stuff, but reviewing as much as you can helps as long as you do it before you take the test.
just study enough so that your confidence is at its maximum level.
eat well, sleep well.

Reactions: 1 user
YEP....Trying to Sleep and eat well...but some time this mcat stress!!!....fewww...Can't wait to be done..JULY 2nd...I dont know why but I always feel that i'm forgetting stuff!!! Do you guys feel that?

Members don't see this ad :)
no don't study. do something you enjoy like go for a run or workout, nothing to strenuous but get ur heart rate up the day before. relax take it easy.

if you dont know it within the 1-3months you preped for the test your not going to learn it in 1 day

Study. I never understood this rule about not studying right before an exam. How backwards can you be. Review your notes and formulas, get good rest.

I know that's what everyone says, but I'm the kind of person who likes to look over a review sheet/formula sheet until the minute I start the test.

no don't study. do something you enjoy like go for a run or workout, nothing to strenuous but get ur heart rate up the day before. relax take it easy.

if you dont know it within the 1-3months you preped for the test your not going to learn it in 1 day

THIS, on both accounts. the day before, Go out with friends during the day, and do something relaxing and fun, like bike riding. And Yea, if you didn't study it in the THREE months or more you have, then you're screwed, sorry :p lol jk...

if you want you can LIGHTLY review. for example, just LOOK at phys formulas and any important notes you took on a topic. but LOOK and review... so its fresh. Don't actually use your brain...

My personal favorite, right before bed, play some video games, like CoD4... I do that before all my finals and did it before the SAT as well... almost tradition, and guess what, I WILL play some shooting game the night before the MCAT, even if its just one round. THen go to bed early, eat a full but light breakfast (Toast and OJ, or fruit juice if OJ is too acidic) dry foods like toast are good... things like eggs and sausage may give you unsightly grumbling lol

Honestly, there's no right or wrong answer to this. What did u do on the eve of ur finals? Chances are whatever u've done in the past works well for you.

I took da beast on 5/28 and yes I practiced problems the day b4 AND reviewed all my notes the morning of the test!! I also "studied" for the writing that same morning. I'm always da type to review formulae up until I literally walk into an exam thanks to procrastination. However, it works perfectly for me.

The key is what works for u, wat have u done historically, but watever u do, get enough rest.

GL :luck::luck::luck:

I will definitely just review formulas. It seems all too common where I've heard stories about people studying hardcore weeks before the MCAT and their practice scores start to twindle, then they take a break for a day or 2 and all of a sudden their practice scores are better. Just do a light review, but I'm almost certain it will be more beneficial for you to take it easy the day before. Personally, I will at least go over formula sheets or do a few verbal passages if I have any left, read over my own hand written notes and spend the rest of the day chillin with friends or doing something brainless.

please don't learn anything new-- sit there with your flashcards/review sheets/etc and when you start quizzing yourself on them, you'll be psyched that you know them already. that should pump you up for owning the test the next morning! :)

I agree with much of the above.

Don't try to go over any complex topics or try to learn concepts. Just look over formulas and things you need to have memorized (like the hormones secreted by the pitiutary gland for example).

I took a full length AAMC exam the evening before the exam. I was bored out of my mind, and the only thing to keep my mind from wandering more was to study. I didn't review any formulas though, which I think would be bad since the last thing you'll remember when you take the test is a bunch of formulas (rather than thinking a question through, you instead plug and chug like a robot).

I got a 38, so studying the night before couldn't have been that bad, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at the memorization things the night before

Also, I drew a few diagrams just to make sure i had it down

I think it helped with Orgo---

Also, some of the galvanic cell stuff confuses the heck out of me, so just making sure you have some of those confusing details down cant hurt

If you find out that you are a little fuzzy the day before the test---it wont take more than 15 minutes to review

A day is a long time!

Again, make sure you aren't looking at something for the first time the day before

But flashcards cant hurt

But for the 4-5 hours before you go to sleep, I think you should relax

Watch a movie, play some games, whatever helps

Then get to bed at a reasonable time

Reviewing in bed the night before the test made me a little restless (I didn't get to sleep until 1-2AM---good thing my test was at 12PM!)

i studied the day before.

obviously, you can't learn entire new concepts in one day. but i like to think of discrete questions as little information nuggets. if you spend one last day tackling stuff, you might absorb a new nugget or two and maybe it'll show up on your test. who knows? maybe on the very last day before the test you're reviewing and see something you didn't notice before, or forgot, like . . . i don't know, that fungal spores are haploid. (i actually cant remember if this is true so dont take it as a fact! :) ) but if you then get that question the next day, won't you be glad you reviewed one last time? i really don't think it hurts you. personally i sleep better at night knowing i did as much as i possibly could. this varies from person to person. do what you'd naturally be inclined to do.

Just pull an all-nighter and cram the night before, always worked for me before any test :thumbup:

I've never understood why people say not to study the day before the MCAT. I guess it varies from person to person, but I was cramming as much information as I could right up until the time I walked into the testing center. I would get even more nervous before the test if I was just sitting there trying to relax when I could be learning some small detail that could be important to know for the MCAT. If you think that not studying is the right choice for you than by all means, don't study before hte MCAT. I wouldn't do it just because someone on SDN told you to, however. No magic ritual involving how and when to study, how many bananas to eat on test day, or when to use the bathroom during test (if you need to pee, pee! You're taking the MCAT so I can safely assume you're at least seven and can make these types of decisions for yourself) is going to have an impact on your score unless you let it affect your performance negatively.

Study. I never understood this rule about not studying right before an exam. How backwards can you be. Review your notes and formulas, get good rest.

:thumbup:

The universal sdn adive is not to do anything the day (or week) before. I'm not sure where this craziness comes from but you sure as heck wouldn't do nothing the day before any other exam, let alone the most important one you've ever taken.

Studying also relieves stress by keeping you busy the day before. If you can't handle looking at all that material and find it overwhelming the day before, as I've heard, then IMHO you havn't prepared well enough. You should be confidently flipping through your notes/review/whatever the day before like any other test that you've aced.

In addition, I was always just a little bit slower the day after doing absolutely nothing at all. Your brain is conditioned...you have to keep doing what you've been doing.

That said, don't wear yourself out the day before. You don't want to be learning anything new, cramming, or pulling all-nighters. The last thing you want is to be totally exhausted before an all-day test.

Personally, I studied the day before my MCAT. I think it depends on the person. If you feel 100% ready, then take it easy and I'm sure it will help you. However, it can be useful to do a quick skim of your shaky topics, just so they're fresh for the next day and so you feel more confident. I wouldn't do any difficult passages or anything, though (and certainly not a practice test)... keep yourself mentally fresh, but review content if it helps.

Just don't study for too long that day, and sleep early.

yes study.
why would you not? of course it wouldnt be THAT useful to learn new stuff, but reviewing as much as you can helps as long as you do it before you take the test.
just study enough so that your confidence is at its maximum level.
eat well, sleep well.
Ya don't listen to this guy. You've been studying for months so really one more day of studying won't make a difference. If aanything it could build up anxiety in realizing youre rusty on one science topic which could lead to a domino effect. Having taken them MCAT twice, it worked out better when I relaxed the day before

I wouldn't pick up a pencil, but casually review your notes/formulas. I remember reviewing my Orgo notes on my way to the test center as my girlfriend drove and lo and behold, one of the discrete questions on BS was asking for the products of the EXACT reaction I was looking at. You never know what could happen.

RRnhhqW.gif

Missed almost every question related to acids and bases on one practice MCAT. Took one hour reviewing acids and bases Next day got every question right. If you are still weak on a few topics, you can definitely still learn them the day before.

Although I plan to use my last day for formulas, ochem reactions and hormones. Things that refuse to enter my long-term memory that I need on test day.

I didn't study very much the day before mine. I did some things I enjoyed, went to a great restaurant, got a good night's sleep. Of course, I was studying like a maniac the six months prior to that, but the last day was just to make me calm and well-rested.

It worked out well for me.

Depends how you take your other tests. I always review my study guides and such until right before the test starts. Because there will always be that one hard thing on the test that you only remember because you reviewed it just a few hours ago.

LOL why can't you do both?

Why don't you just do something like go running, then review your formulas and some concepts and the watch a movie in the evening and then get dinner and sleep early?

From my experience:

DON'T STUDY (heavily) THE DAY BEFORE. I started studying, but then I felt the sudden urge to REVIEW EVERYTHING. This resulted in me not being able to sleep well. I ended up scoring way below what I was getting on my recent exams, and I definitely felt my concentration level wasn't there when I needed it the most.

Bottom line (in my opinion): you will get way more from REST than any extra studying that you do within your final hours. You don't want to hurt your chances of doing well. If studying more will stress you out, then don't study. Some people make the argument that, "most of us cram for regular tests, why not the MCAT?" Well, simply put, the MCAT is not the same as our in-school tests.

This time around, I'm going to make sure I get 9 hours of sleep on the two nights before the test.
If I study, I'll try to make it very very light (like maybe no more than 5-10 min stretches).

Last edited:
Personally, I definitely do not study the day before the MCAT. That is a day of total relaxation. This works well for me because I am very high-anxiety, and I also know that I won't forget anything in one day.

I took the MCAT on Saturday at 1 PM (on December 6th, 2014). Here was my schedule:

Monday: I devised the following schedule, and I adhered to it. Normal study.

Tuesday: Normal study.

Wednesday: One full-length AAMC practice exam.

Thursday: One full-length AAMC practice exam.

Friday: No studying allowed. Try to sleep as much as possible, eat well. I watched a movie.

Saturday:

9 AM - Woke up.

10 AM to 11:30 AM - Skimmed all of my notes.

12 PM - Left home.

12:25 PM - Arrived at testing center. Relaxation exercises in the waiting room. Deep breathing, closed eyes. No studying allowed.

1 PM - They called my name to get fingerprinted and then start the test.

If I could alter the past, I would have woken up 1 or 2 hours earlier on the test date, and I would have left home at least 30 minutes earlier. The drive was a little nerve-wracking because I almost didn't make it to the testing center by 12:30. The website says "1 PM", but it also says "arrive 30 minutes early".

I did skim all of my notes the morning of the exam, but I don't think this helped at all. If I retake the exam, I may skip that too. I may just wake up, eat, shower, and test.

This is actually one of the most commonly argued "pieces of advice" regarding the MCAT. I used to follow the classic line - don't study the day before, and certainly don't study the morning of your exam. Over time, though, I realized that it's ridiculous to push such an all-or-nothing rule on everyone. The most important thing by far is to know yourself.

If you're the kind of person who can take a break without beating yourself up, don't study. Exercise, eat your favorite foods (though nothing super unhealthy, unusual, or excessive), and just chill. However, most people (and almost everyone on this forum) feel horribly guilty doing this, like they might stumble upon that one question that makes a difference the next day. In that case, do as much non-mentally-taxing work as you can. Look over your notes, review things to memorize (formulas, etc.), and go over old AAMC exams. This last one is a really useful exercise - basically, choose one or two old practice tests and skim through them question-by-question, asking yourself if you would be able to properly approach them now. You can even turn on the solutions while doing this.

However, there are very good reasons behind the common "don't study" approach, and they generally involve these pitfalls. Here are things to avoid doing, no matter what:

1. Obviously, don't take another practice exam. It's generally a bad idea to even take a new section of a practice test. It's exhausting, and more importantly, if you randomly happen to do poorly it can wreck your self-esteem.

2. Don't exhaust yourself. Even if you learn new facts, it'll hurt you much more than it helps, especially with verbal. I've seen students who regularly get 12's on VR get 7's or 8's on practice exams simply because they got 3 hours of sleep the night before.

3. Don't look at new resources! If you've been using Princeton Review Hyperlearning for verbal, don't randomly decide to do a few EK passages for variety. Again, if you accidentally run into that "one crazy hard" passage, you can hurt your confidence for no reason. For verbal, in fact, I actually advise either redoing old passages or completing passages without scoring them (obviously you can look at the answers, but absolutely don't calculate out any kind of numerical score).

4. (this is a big one) DON'T FALL INTO A SPIRAL! For some reason, studying on the last day tends to go like this:
10am: I just want to check and see if diverging lenses produce upright images.
10:15 am: Wait, diverging lenses correct myopia...what is that again?
10:45 am: Hmm, ciliary muscles, they could test those
11:30 am: WAIT do I need to know the cranial nerves
4 pm: Why am I reading about lasers?
In short, you'll end up panicking about random details, which are almost certainly out of the scope of the MCAT. To prevent this, review your notes as much as possible instead of rereading textbooks or resorting to the internet.

In any case, I'm always curious to see what people think about this. I guess my "short" answer would be - you'll hear "don't study" from everyone and they have a valid point, but above all, never do anything that makes you restless or uncomfortable. Good luck!

Last edited:
Honestly, it boils down to how much you prepared. If you studied for 3 weeks before the MCAT, 1 day can teach you a lot. If you studied 150 days before the MCAT, 1 day is nothing and the relaxation is much better for you.

Also, people keep saying "do what you did before finals". Well its not quite the same. I crammed my butt off the day before finals because I only studied for like the 2 days before the exam. Also, that was like 1 course material. For the MCAT, its a whole entire college career. Simply to review everything just once would take a week to be of any use. If you've been studying diligently and taking lots of practice for over 2 months, you've internalized what's important to know. Cramming and focusing on details doesn't help much.